Author Topic: Elemental Mage test game  (Read 10568 times)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: Elemental Mage test game
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »
So, i am leaning towards a halfling as well, the dex seems better than the con of gnomes. That will give us halflings for the three "casters" what did our "tanks" plan to be?  :P
Essentially, I'm done, and I'm an Earth Dwarf. Info is in UA or the SRD (where I got it), and my sheet's in my last posts edit. No idea about venn. But so far, we're all short people, so woot!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 03:48:14 AM »
I was thinking of bucking the trend and going with a Water Orc, but I could be persuaded to go with a small race if you all twist my arm. XD
If I go with an Air Goblin, or something like that, I can get quite a good ranged attack mod. Great for Hurl Rock, good for tanking. :)

Also, did we find out what starting wealth is for elemental mages?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:51:57 AM by VennDygrem »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 04:54:23 AM »
Still undecided if I want to go ranged or melee...but here is the sheet, feats are set to ranged at the moment, Ixen.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 05:19:40 AM »
I was thinking of bucking the trend and going with a Water Orc, but I could be persuaded to go with a small race if you all twist my arm. XD
If I go with an Air Goblin, or something like that, I can get quite a good ranged attack mod. Great for Hurl Rock, good for tanking. :)

Not yet, so +1.

I'm noticing that by going non-dex-based, I'm shooting myself in the foot early on, since my ranged now kinda sucks, my AC is lower since I can't really utilize heavier armor, and I've only got a handful more hp... naybe not the smartest choice, but hopefully I'll pick up steam later...

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »
Once you get to 3rd level, you'll really take off though.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:25 AM »
Once you get to 3rd level, you'll really take off though.
Hey, that DR 2/adamantine at lv 2 doesn't sound half bad either... is roll with it viable, you think, or should it just be left alone? I'm guessing that there's better choices, but then again, I'm betting there's better choices than trying to get spring attack. Is there a better way, aside from mobility armor? Or a similar, less suck idea?

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
Also, does Hurl Rock count as a thrown weapon for Halflings' attack bonus? Just wondering. The wording suggests 'no' since it all says you "shoot" the rock, and I assume via a magical/telekinetic method rather than physical.

Figured I'd ask just to cover my bases.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
I figure I'd go with high accuracy ranged touch attacks for now, until some of the SLAs come around.
Hows this look?
[spoiler]
Serias Wandering-River
Hydromancer 1
N Small Humanoid (Aquatic, Halfling)
Init +; Senses Listen +6, Spot +0,
Languages Aquan, Common, Halfling

AC 15, touch 15, flat-footed 11(+1(size)+3(dex)+?(armor))
hp 8(1d6+2), fast heal -, regeneration -; DR -
Immune -
Resist +2 morale vs fear; SR -
Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +3

Speed 20ft. (4 squares), Swim 20ft(4 squares)
Melee
Melee -3 touch
Ranged
Ranged +5 touch
Ranged +5 touch Water Jet(1d6 subdual, 60ft)
Ranged(30ft) +6 touch Water Jet(1d6+1 subdual, 60ft)
Ranged(Thrown) +5
Space 5ft.; Reach 5ft.
Base Atk +0; Grp -6
Atk Options
Special Actions

Elmental Power - Spell-like Abilities (CL 1, DC 14)
At Will:
Create Water: 1 cubic foot within 5ft
Water Jet: Ranged Touch 60ft,1d6 nonlethal jet of water.

Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 16
SQ Armored Mage(light), Aquatic, Water Magic
Feats Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus(Ranged)
Flaws Poor Reflexes, Noncombatant,
Traits -
Skills Climb +0, Concentration +6, Craft(alchemy) +6, Heal +5, Hide +7 Jump -6, Knowledge(Arcana) +6, Listen +7, Move Silently +5, Spellcraft +6, Swim +6,
Possessions

Organization
Environment
Advancement

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:  Hydromancers are proficient with all simple weapons plus the trident, hand crossbow, repeating crossbow, and net.  Hydromancers are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Armored Mage (Ex):  A hydromancer can use elemental powers (see below) while wearing light armor without risking arcane spell failure.  He may also take the Battle Caster feat (Complete Arcane, pg 75) and apply its bonus to his elemental powers.

Elemental Power (Sp):Water Jet (Sp) [WATER]: The hydromancer learns his first elemental power: the ability to shoot a pressured jet of water.  The hydromancer can target the jet up to a range of 60 feet with a ranged touch attack.  If the attack is successful, it deals 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per caster level.  This damage is not subject to damage reduction or energy resistance.  This ability also puts out all non-magical fires in the target square.
This power may be used at will.

Create Water (Sp) [WATER]: The hydromancer learns a new elemental power: creating water out of thin air.  The hydromancer can create one cubic foot of water within five feet of himself.  This power can be used at will.

Water Magic (Ex): A hydromancer can use any spell completion or spell trigger item for any spell with the [WATER] descriptor as though she had the spell on her spell list.

Aquatic (Ex): The hydromancer gains the aquatic subtype, but is also amphibious, able to breath both above and below water.  He gains a swim speed equal to his base land speed and may take 10 on swim checks even when distracted.  He may use the run action or charge while swimming so long as it is in a straight line.

Carrying Capacity(Light): 0/15lbs[/spoiler]
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
Veekie, thanks for the links.

Can we delay flaw feats for a level or two?
No, you can't postpone them.  They have to be level 1 feats.

Good question guys.  I never specified that.  I think I'll go with standard cleric (5d4 x10gp) for all four classes.  As for this game, I figure you'll just get the average amount (125 gp).

Also, does Hurl Rock count as a thrown weapon for Halflings' attack bonus? Just wondering. The wording suggests 'no' since it all says you "shoot" the rock, and I assume via a magical/telekinetic method rather than physical.

Figured I'd ask just to cover my bases.
No, it doesn't count.  It's funny that you mentioned that because I was thinking about the same then when someone said halfling earlier. ;)
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »
Hows this look?
It looks good.  That format is fine.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
Theme for the campaign: Revolt of the little people!  ;)

We will no longer be used as coasters, R2D2 units, or have jokes about our women being the perfect height. Kill everything over 5' tall  :tantrum
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
Can we delay flaw feats for a level or two?
No, you can't postpone them.  They have to be level 1 feats.
Hmm...how to fit in weapon finesse...
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
Yeah, I'd allow Weapon Finesse.  I wasn't going to heavily house-rule this game, but I run Weapon Finesses with a prereq of Dex 13+ instead of BAB +1.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
Character sheet. Looking for a name too if anyone has suggestions, names are always the hardest thing for me to do. Oh and if you can't tell i like to go first  :lol

Oh and i'm not getting into melee EVER!! If I am forced to be in melee i'm beyond fucked.

Robby how important will adventuring gear be, ie backpack, bedroll, etc...? Do we buy it for "realistic game" purposes or ditch it because it won't come into play?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:43:08 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »
Robby how important will adventuring gear be, ie backpack, bedroll, etc...? Do we buy it for "realistic game" purposes or ditch it because it won't come into play?
For this testing?  Probably not very important.

Figure you have to stick within encumbrance rules, but also figure you can carry all of that stuff somehow.  I'm not worried about food or water or bedrolls or soap.

I suppose there could be some need for random things like rope or something if you guys are really creative.  I don't see it coming up (i.e. I'm not planning encounters where you have to tie fools up), but you guys can buy weird crap if you think you might use it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
So it is safe to say we will have the survival basics without having to worry about carrying them. I just have a piss pore carrying capacity and don't want to go over it because my halfling needs to carry all this camping gear.

After looking at it a bit can a party member give me 1 gp so i can afford a mule with pack saddle for us to use to carry all this non-combat related gear? We could also use it to carry our loot after we blow their hair out of place, set them on fire, smack them in the head with a rock, and drown them when unconscious that is.  ;)

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
*Tosses coin*

By the way, do us halflings want to be related some what? Family, clan, town etc

Think I am going to settle for a ranged build, for such a low level TWF does seem to offset range. If someone were to build pyro at a higher level I could see them possibly taking the melee approach.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
domo arigato

We can be related but since there will be little to no RP in this i don't see much happening with that. I don't think Rob has a deep game in mind just a beta test of the classes to see how they compare to the standard enemies and classes.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
Yeah, I was basically going to plan a bunch of completely unrelated fights just to see how the group does against different types of threats.  So first level might look something like:
- fight some goblins
- fight some skeletons
- fight a gnoll
- fight an animated object
- fight some NPC(s)

Or whatever.  I was thinking just a few fights per level.  Depending on the speed of things, we may want to skip a level or two here and there.  I'll just have to see how it works out.

Of course, if all goes well, I might be fine actually trying to run a more typical PbP game in the future.  I imagine that's a ways down the road.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 06:13:47 PM »
Ok, this should do it, I think.

Grizz

Makes me remember why I always hate starting at 1st level. :D