Author Topic: Elemental Mage test game  (Read 10570 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Elemental Mage test game
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm looking to recruit four players to test out the Elemental Mages I've created; one player per class.  So far, VennDygrem and archangel.arcanis have already shown interest, so I need two players.  VennDygrem said he wanted to play a Geomancer.

Premise:
First of all, this is my first PbP, so things may change as I figure stuff out.  I'll try to communicate any changes as best I can.

The purpose of this is really to playtest these four classes, so I figure this will be pretty RP-lite and combat heavy.  In fact, I'm not really interested in anything outside of combat other than acquiring magical items and what not.

Rules:

Available materials
I'll say you can use all 3.5 books, but no Dragon Magazines.  I'll still want all builds run by me first.

Ability scores
32 point point-buy.

Races
Core races (PHB and MM) and UA-variants only.  Any other races may be allowed by request.  No Level Adjustment, as I want to test the classes themselves.

Classes
Once you pick one of these four classes, you have to stick with it with no multiclassing.  Again, I'm testing the classes. ;)

Starting Gold
Everyone starts with 125gp (I know, I forgot to include starting gold in the classes :p).

Traits/Flaws
You can take up to two of each from the normal Unearthed Arcana list.

XP/Leveling
I'm not going to hand out XP as normal.  After a few fights at a given level, I'll tell you guys to level.  Use 1/2 your Hit Die when gaining a level (the "average" variant in the DMG).

Die rolling
I'm going to trust everyone here not to cheat.  You can just roll your own dice and type in the result.  I'm not going to make you use invisible castle or anything.  Although it would be good to include modifiers when listing the result, to help keep things clear.  So, a d20 roll might look like "d20 + 12 = 24", listing the 12 modifier and the total result of 24.  Make sense/seem fair?

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything.

Class roster: [Closed]
Aeromancer - archangel.arcanis
Geomancer - VennDygrem
Hydromancer - veekie
Pyromancer - Sohala

It looks like we have four people!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:00:32 PM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Elemental Mage test game
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
Hmm, start at 1 and grind our way up I imagine, I kinda like Water. :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
Sounds like fair rules. Assuming we're testing these under extremely general and average circumstances, are anything like Flaws or traits allowed?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »
Well since veekie wants water i'll take Air, i was on the fence for which one i wanted. However if someone else really wants Air i am willing to switch to fire. I just need to know which one i'm building.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
Well I will have to read thru the topic, but I would probably play fire. :flame
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
Sounds like fair rules. Assuming we're testing these under extremely general and average circumstances, are anything like Flaws or traits allowed?
Personally assuming not, a vanilla playtest would be a more effective demo.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Well, it looks like it's closed already.  I'll elaborate on some specifics in a minute...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
Well, it looks like it's closed already.  I'll elaborate on some specifics in a minute...
Ok that works i was about to ask some questions for more details, i'll let you post the rest then see if there are any questions i still have.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
As for traits and flaws, I'll allow the usual two (why do I have a feeling everyone but the geomancer will be a murky-eyed non-combatant? :p)

I should have specified starting level 1.  I'm not really planning on handing out XP per se, because none of you need it for crafting or spell components or anything, and I'm figuring I'll level you guys after we test a couple of level appropriate fights.

I'll update the rules in the OP for the time being.  Is there anything else you want to know?

Also, who do I contact about starting a section for this?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »
I think AC is the one to contact.

HP how are we handling it past 1st level?
Invisible castle for dice rolling?
Myth-weavers for sheets?
What are we using for battle grid? (i've seen google docs in the arena and Jace uses beautiful images he makes)
Any particular house rules we will be using? (different diplomacy, feat x works like this since the original didn't make sense, etc...)

edit: how about ability focus to up the DC of some of our powers?

I don't know if there are enough worth wile feats to take at first to justify flaws honestly. Many of the mainstays just don't seem to fit. But i'll try and find some  :devil
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:09:52 PM by archangel.arcanis »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
It's funny, you thought of the HP issue and dice rolling as I was already addressing it.  I've put those up in the OP already (1/2 HD for "average" HP, and I'm not going to bother with IC for dice rolling.  I trust you guys).

As for Myth Weavers: I've never run a PbP before.  I guess I don't care how you present your character so long as it's in a fairly readable format.  For anyone who's fine using MW, go ahead.  For anyone who'd rather just post the character in the appropriate thread (when it gets made ;)), that's fine too.  Just make sure it has all the necessary info.

As for the battle grid, I'm not sure either.  I've never used Google Docs, so I don't know what the advantages are.  Tenatively, I figured I'd just run some simple GIFs in Paint and spoiler them in the posts as they change.  What have others done in the past that works?

I'll PM AC.  Thanks guys.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
what you are describing for the grid is about what Jace does so that should work well. It is a bit of work on you to make the gifs but if your fine with it i'm good.

also what level of cheese are we going for here? It seems the natural choice for all but the Geomancer is DW Kobold to get the free +3 cha and small size to help with AC and ranged touch.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
edit: how about ability focus to up the DC of some of our powers?

I don't know if there are enough worth wile feats to take at first to justify flaws honestly. Many of the mainstays just don't seem to fit. But i'll try and find some  :devil
I'm fine with AF working on the powers.  I know I never really specified, and I actually thought about making some feats for these classes, but I never got around to it.  For the time being, it seems like you'd have to take AF separately for each ability you want to use with it.  This works better for some classes and some abilities than others.  For example, the aeromancer's Wind Strike ability gets push, trip, and grapple abilities tacked onto it as he gains level.  So taking AF(Wind Strike) would give bonuses both to the push and trip abilities.

Does this sound fair/reasonable?

also what level of cheese are we going for here? It seems the natural choice for all but the Geomancer is DW Kobold to get the free +3 cha and small size to help with AC and ranged touch.
Personally, I guess I'd rather avoid things like free ability mods from ancient old koblods and what not, just because I'm not sure how well it represents the classes I'm trying to test.

Do you think limiting the races to core + UA variants is okay?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:29 PM »
Ok boss. Sounds good.

I don't see a reason why limiting the races would be all that bad, but if someone wanted to play something odd but not broken i think you should probably let them. DW Kobold out seems right while a Mongrelfolk should probably be ok.

Personally i think i'm going halfling, though i may look at the UA variants to see if there is one in there that fits too.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Personally i think i'm going halfling, though i may look at the UA variants to see if there is one in there that fits too.
Ironically, the four elemental types will be largely useless, unless you pick a different element than your class. :p
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
yea i noticed. Though i was tempted to go air goblin for the boost to dex.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
If i take improved trip would that add to the DC of the save. That particular upgrade isn't an opposed check but a fort save.

edit:
in the same vein of thinking would ability focus apply to the uses that are opposed checks rather than a save?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:35:31 PM by archangel.arcanis »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
I'll go with simple, probably halfling.
As for the battle grid, I figured any layer based image manipulation program can deal with those a treat. GIMP or Photoshop's what I use.

Or you could just use code tags and ascii maps, which is crude, but just as effective.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
Are the mages considered arcane spell casters of their level for the purposes for feats?
Do metamagic feats have any effect?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »
If i take improved trip would that add to the DC of the save. That particular upgrade isn't an opposed check but a fort save.

edit:
in the same vein of thinking would ability focus apply to the uses that are opposed checks rather than a save?
Looking at how it's printed, Wind Push wouldn't benefit from Ability Focus because there is no save, but Wind Trip would.  I don't think Improved Trip should increase the save for Wind Trip.

As for the battle grid, I figured any layer based image manipulation program can deal with those a treat. GIMP or Photoshop's what I use.

Or you could just use code tags and ascii maps, which is crude, but just as effective.
I do have GIMP, but I'll have to familiarize myself with layers.  I've yet to really train myself with it.

Are the mages considered arcane spell casters of their level for the purposes for feats?
Do metamagic feats have any effect?
Metamagic feats wouldn't do any good.  I think they should count as arcane casters of level equal to their class level.  I still haven't officially written up a section for multiclassing and PrCs for these guys.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]