Author Topic: Sphere of Annihilation theme stuff and char op  (Read 6883 times)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Sphere of Annihilation theme stuff and char op
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I'm one of the people who recently participated in another Iron Chef challenge over at GitP, where the ingredient was the Entropomancer, that god-awful PrC from C. Divine that is themed around the Sphere of Annihilation.  Now that the contest is over as far as new entries go, I'm curious what Sphere of Annihilation themed feats, spells, items, and PrCs exist in D&D, and how effectively they can be used with a character.

Here's what I've got so far:

Sphere of Annihilation

Talisman of the Sphere

Well of Worlds: According to Elder Evils, combining this with a Sphere of Annihilation causes the end of the world in 1d12+6 minutes.  Costs 82K.

Entropomancer: Half-casting divine PrC, at 10th level can control a sphere of annihilation as if it had a talisman of the sphere, and is unaffected by spheres that enter its area.  Weird because otherwise you want to be an arcane caster to manipulate the sphere.

Tomb of Horrors: there is a sphere of annihilation in this dungeon, which a high enough Knowledge check might be able to learn about.

Pandorym: From Elder Evils, this is a gargantuan sphere of annihilation turned quasi-deity.

Kyuss: The Elder Evils storyline for the end of the world with Kyuss has an insane true necromancer (Obviously insane, he took 10 levels of it with no early entry) using a sphere (that he stole from the Tomb of Horrors!) with a well of worlds to destroy the world.  The necromancer also carries a talisman of the sphere.

Legend Lore: Seems like a good use of this spell, artifacts are pretty legendary - sadly, can't combine with Discern Location since you need to have touched the object once.

Sphere of Ultimate Destruction: Sorc/Wiz 9 Conj. 9, basically summons a mobile disintegrate spell.

Black Blade of Disaster: Sorc/Wiz 9 Conj. 9, basically a weaker version of the above spell.

That's all I've got right now - does anyone have anything else to contribute?

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Sphere of Annihilation theme stuff and char op
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
Umbral Blot (Blackball) from the Epic Level Handbook.

It's basically a construct... except it's also a sphere of annihilation.

Yeah...  :bigeye

That's about all I got at the moment...

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:26 AM »
Misting and get a Living one.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:23:11 AM »
Technically, you can use Shapesand (Sandstorm) to create a Sphere of Anihilation. TO territory, but it is RAW.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »
Is there any way to take a targeted spell and give it an area?

Cause then you could put the Living Spell template on it (ECS).

Living Disintegrate Spell will now attempt to Engulf(Ex) you... make a Reflex Save or be disintegrated... or take your attack of opportunity... and then be disintegrated...

hehe...  :devil

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:35:58 AM »
Epic Binder, specifically, Tkhaluuljin "The Cephalopocalypse". Summon a sphere of annihilation once every 5 rounds at level 27 (ouch). RAI you can only have one for your binder level in rounds in a given day. But, TECHNICALLY, you could summon a different sphere every time and still work within the bounds of the rules. You'd be limited by the number of Spheres in existence, though, and it's actually plausible that someone will notice if you start abusing it, though, so YMMV. And it's clearly against RAI.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
Oh my god, "Cephalopocalypse"?  In the language of the gith, its name roughly translates as "living armageddon."  Really, WoTC?  That's awesome.  Because in my language, it translates to "Giant Cthulhu-esque squid horror that ends reality."

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:07 AM »
Oh my god, "Cephalopocalypse"?  In the language of the gith, its name roughly translates as "living armageddon."  Really, WoTC?  That's awesome.  Because in my language, it translates to "Giant Cthulhu-esque squid horror that ends reality."

I prefer the crawling apocalypse (Sandstorm), because it's an undead octopus that lives in the desert. I assume it's undead because living octopi don't do well in the desert. It also appears to be knocking down a giant Jawa in the picture, which is always cool.

Edit: I guess, technically, it unlives in the desert. Details.

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »

Thing about this is with the Construct Domain (Pretty sure it's this domain) in Eberron, you can rebuke it.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Thing about this is with the Construct Domain (Pretty sure it's this domain) in Eberron, you can rebuke it.

When it has 57 HD?  That'd take some finagling.

The craziest thing about it IMO is it's Planar Travel ability.  It gets to use Ethereal Jaunt, Dimensional Door, Greater Teleport, and Plane Shift at will, as extraordinary abilities... and it doesn't have any sort of clause that says it can only use them on itself.
Which defaults it to the Caster Level = HD.

Ed-Zero

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
Epic Rod of Cancellation can neutralize spheres of annihilation. I guess all it has to do is touch them. Also, it specifically mentions that when it neutralizes a SoA, it does not get cancelled itself.

Dread Doorway - Shining South - Acts as a Sphere of Annihilation but the void is shaped to match a passage and can't be moved. (Aka: Tomb  of Horrors style)

Edit:

Just saw the Entropist in Lords of Madness. It looks like a duplicate of the Entropomancer under a different name except that it gives the "Control Sphere" ability in 5 levels!

Epic Spell Necromantic Singularity destroys a SoA as it's material component. In trade, you can kill 1,000 HD worth of creatures.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:36:29 PM by Ed-Zero »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:40 AM »
Are you sure it's Lords of Madness? My copy lacks any such prestige class, or the phrase "sphere of annihilation".
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »
Are you sure it's Lords of Madness? My copy lacks any such prestige class, or the phrase "sphere of annihilation".

Try Lords of Darkness 138.

Ed-Zero

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
Whoops, sorry about that.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »

Epic Spell Necromantic Singularity destroys a SoA as it's material component. In trade, you can kill 1,000 HD worth of creatures.

do these get a save?  :smirk
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
Yeah, I saw the Entropist last night.  A 1 level dip gives you the control over a sphere and immunity to it, the next 4 levels are an exercise in burning CLs for useless abilities (well, more useless than control over an artifact you may never encounter)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Contingency + Counterspell version of Gate = gets rid of the first "problem" result of die roll with Gate. The other two results don't matter.

Doesn't the PrC count as a different source than the Talisman, for the Control Bonus on the Sphere?
Otherwise, Rerolls on the d20 for control.
Bloodlines, with Uncanny Trickster and/or Legacy Champ PrCs are probably the only things to boost the "class level" part.
Intelligence ... PAO or H.I.V.E. stuff.
Freedom of Movement, just in case control is lost to a deity or something ridiculous.

Edit - and Nanobots type super aid anothers, can bump up the dc checks. Heck, I mentioned hive so why not?

Can't a really good Illusion cover up the fact that a Sphere is hanging around?
I'd think Schism would allow control to be unknown to non-mind readers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:47:22 PM by awaken DM golem »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
I can't believe there's a conversation about the Entropist without mention of its pic. Note the exact position of the supposed sphere of annihilation. :P

[spoiler]"Hey, Check out my latest work for that new D&D book."
"...Are you sure you want to put the round thing there?"
"Yeah."
"It's right above her breast, right where the nipple would be. Kind of looks like one, too."
"It's genius! They'll never notice!"
"...You're an idiot, you know that?"
*a few months later*
"The editor is an even bigger idiot, you know that?"
[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
Pandorym ... can make a Tentacle go out into the world, but can also cast Schism.
Schism + Tentacle = scary, but it's not Sphere related.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »

do these get a save?  :smirk

just saw something more important here: the SoA is listed as a material component, right. epic eschew materials, boom bam.
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china