Author Topic: Silly Monster is not Silly  (Read 16803 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Silly Monster is not Silly
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »
Dude, that's the stuff of nightmares.  Have a couple of encounters with those, and you'll be locked in a round rubber room completely naked.  Anything that can reduce you to such a state is not silly at all.

Silly -- origami golem.  Seriously, it's f'n paper -- "oh no, better watch out for those paper cuts"  :eh

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
Are you kidding? The paper the golem is made from might have explosive runes on it!

Now, a CALZONE golem...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »
...Gets a higher armor class than the tarrasque by standing in a fire for a few minutes. Making it incredibly tough to kill.

But then there is a stained glass golem, which is just silly.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
Not all of us want to enter fights without style and pizazz, and a stained glass golem casts lovely shadows on walls. Very aesthetically pleasing.

And speaking of the tarrasque, talk about silly! A supposed "Destroyer of worlds" that could be defeated by a solo 9th level wizard, was it not? A vile damage dealing warlock with Fell Flight does the same thing at lower levels, iirc. I mean, come on, talk about silly! And all those instances of Toughness? PAH!
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
Oh come on, I mean...  Well...  If you look at... Yeah, I've got nothing.  It's the freaking Tarrasque.  In the spirit of this thread, I'll defend the big T by simply saying he's so iconic he can't be silly.

If you want to see a real silly monster, how about a Lantern Archon.  What?  Did they need a good Will'o wisp?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »
Oh come on, I mean...  Well...  If you look at... Yeah, I've got nothing.  It's the freaking Tarrasque.  In the spirit of this thread, I'll defend the big T by simply saying he's so iconic he can't be silly.

If you want to see a real silly monster, how about a Lantern Archon.  What?  Did they need a good Will'o wisp?
What's so silly about nitelites for solars?

Flumphs. Need I say more?
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
Flumphs. Need I say more?

Not familiar. Sourcebook?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »
The flumphs have sorcerer as their favoured class. Any race with a penchant for magic like that is frightening.

However! The leShay is clearly the silliest monster. It's basically an elf...with a few SLAs...and a soulknife ripoff. And they dual-wield bastard swords, which is well known to be a silly idea.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »
Aren't they, by default, epic level to start with, though? I mean, can something be epic and silly? I think not.

Grells. Flying brain-birdbeak-head-things. Sure, they can go ethereal, and there was that one in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil that could really mess up your day, but as a whole? Pretty silly.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »
Not silly:  everything in your argument only supports why they rock.

Silly:  Redcaps.  it's a ghoulies wannabe. 'nuff said.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:07:56 AM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

PinkMagus

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 02:21:09 AM »
Yea, but if some of them ever decided to make a band they would already have a great name.

Going back to golems, Pastry Golems are silly. Sure you can use Proffession (Cook) to make them, but honestly whats so scary about a monster that you can just throw rats at and watch it get eaten up?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
not silly: yeah, and Ray Stantz thought that the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was innocuous, too.

silly: skin kite .... sounds like what you call it when you stretch out your scrotum.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
silly: skin kite .... sounds like what you call it when you stretch out your scrotum.
Stealing this, and making my fiance hate you now.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
Stealing this, and making my fiance hate you now.
:lmao
have fun with that  :D

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »
not silly: yeah, and Ray Stantz thought that the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was innocuous, too.

a kite of skin what is not disturbing about that having a few of those in your yard will scare away unwanted adventurers

Gnomes on the other hand who needs them they are small pesky pip squeaks
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
Two words: Shadowcraft Mage. :P

You know what is silly, though? The phasm. I mean, the gelatinous cube is at least made of something corrosive, but this? It's like a giant amoeba.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
Two words: Shadowcraft Mage. :P

You know what is silly, though? The phasm. I mean, the gelatinous cube is at least made of something corrosive, but this? It's like a giant amoeba.
not silly -- it's form is so efficient - so perfect - that the only change in the last billion years is that it simply has gotten bigger.

silly -- famine spirit .... "nom-nom-nom; me likes to eat ..."

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
The feeling of hunger is what drives (and has driven) billions and billions of creatures to put something in their mouths when their energy-depots have run low. These guys are not just the essence of "nom nom nom", they are the essence of survival, spirits of an instinct meant to keep life going as far as possible. And if anyone here thinks survival is silly, then I recommend you get an appointment with a shrink A.S.A.P.

What is silly however is the Skybleeder (FF), they are a flying blob of pure silly that even with an INT WIS of 17 won't do anything better than act as a mount
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:20:27 PM by Monotremeancer »
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
dude flying blob of death like sergeant shlock

A sily monster goblins other then the fact they are good cannon fouder name one use one
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe