Author Topic: Silly Monster is not Silly  (Read 16797 times)

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Silly Monster is not Silly
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
Each post consists of 2 parts

Your reasons the previous posters silly monster is not silly while there should be logic to your reasons it can be slightly woolly logic

Then a silly monster for the next poster + reasons it is silly if you think it is necessery

Lastly before I post a monster to get things started each monster should be in a published RPG book

I will start with the obvious choice
The Gelatinous Cube I don't think I need to give reasons why it's silly
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Silly Monster is not Silly
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »
It's not silly.  Most dungeons have square-shaped tunnels, so the thing is designed to pick up the most trash possible.

Next silly monster: Owlbear
Reason: Really?  You take a bear (scary), and give it a less scary head.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

MyndBulletz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »
It's not silly. It combines the effectiveness of a daytime and a nighttime predator.

Now, a Dracotaur is silly. A reptilian creature with the lower torso of a dragon. Seems silly and redundant to me.
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:22 AM »
It's not silly. It combines the effectiveness of a daytime and a nighttime predator.

Now, a Dracotaur is silly. A reptilian creature with the lower torso of a dragon. Seems silly and redundant to me.
Oh, come on.  Wouldn't it be sillier if a reptialian had a lower torso of something nonreptilian like a kangaroo or a mephit or a dolphin?

Now, a Sharn, that's silly.  It's like the creators at WotC put every broken ability they could think of into a blender and just smeared it all over the forgotten realms.  And they even look silly!

I mean, look at those big goofy grins. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
There is nothing silly about having 7/5 casting with only 4 HD -- that's some serious shit (take that, TO'ers)

raggamoffyn -- now that's silly.  c'mon, what's not silly about some fool with dirty underwear on it's head?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Ruam

• Bi-Curious George
  • First-class monotremancer
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
If that is what it takes to cover up a bald spot and an ugly head then I feel the guy has taken the better of two alternatives, he also looks strong.

Now what is really silly is every single ooze ever thought of. A ball of jelly that even in MM looks like a jell-o for someone with lack of calcium. Their reproductive system is even described as "One ooze, a moron with a sword, two oozes" in the Book of erotic fantasy. How is this not silly?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
There's nothing silly about slimes: there's ALWAYS room for jello!

What's silly is Badgers, because they sing!
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Not silly:
Quote from: SRD
A badger that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead.
I think that says it all -- AFAIC, that's pretty bad-ass.

Silly: cockatrice -- it's the world's ugliest chicken  :twitch

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »

Silly: cockatrice -- it's the world's ugliest chicken  :twitch
It can turn you to stone, a flock of these things would be near unstoppable without area of effect spells. Not so silly then, if hideous.

What is silly is the siege crab which is basically a living bus.

MyndBulletz

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »
That's not silly. Total cover and concealment, plus complete obedience, PLUS four claws and the power to level a city. I'd call that a very efficient underwater/beachfront primary assault.

Now, a Susurrus is silly. It's basically a disco ball wrapped around a human-shaped air filter that gets pissy when you light a match...
Winning a dispute on the internet is like getting a gold medal at the Special Olympics. Sure you won...but you're still retarded.

Ruam

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Someone could make huge money with a living disco ball, if you bring a bard you could start a company and make huge money as a travelling last-minute party agency. Just avoid the lighter-phenomenon.

Now the Shirokinukatsukami from OA is a different matter. The head of a lion, trunk of an elephant, tail of a cow, arms of an ape but with tiger claws. Someone is not smoking tobacco, this is silly indeed.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
Not silly:
- 9th-level spells at will
- casting as a 14th level sorcerer
- all wrapped-up in only 12 HD

it's ridiculous alright -- ridiculously awesome!! (only the sharn exceeds this guy in awesomeness)

Silly: tendriculos
it looks like a slimy, larval Oscar the Grouch.  And where are the eyes that give him this supposed "low-light vision"?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
I've seen enemies crawl out of a tendriculos' mouth. The tendriculos was a druid and it's friends were shielded from the acid by resist energy.
That's a badass way to get around. Not silly.

(I just realized that the rules of this game don't specify a D&D monster....I have to do this one)

[spoiler]Questing Pheldagriff is silly: It's a hippo with wings! And when you use it's abilities, it gives other people hippo tokens! Now THAT's silly!

[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »
If you think hippos are silly, you've never seen one bite a crocodile in two. That's one badass pachyderm.

Goatfolk, on the other hand, are... anthropomorphic goats. Like a minotaur, but less badass. Why would you take a badass monster and make it less badass?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
Not silly:
I once saw a goat chew through an aluminum can -- how about you try it, and then let me know how that turns out for you  :p

Silly:
Senmurv -- um, do I really need to explain this one?  really?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
Silly:
Yes, because I have no idea what a senmurv is.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Silly:
Yes, because I have no idea what a senmurv is.
you have google, don't you?  :P
Okay -- it's that flying rainbow wolf -- it's looks like the gay-pride mascot of D&D (not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, of course   :hide)

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Ruam

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
Not silly at all. Using simple Steven Hughes-logic with how the straight people are the true pussies (the straight man wants a soft, femine woman. The gay one wants a hard piece of wood right up their back door, who is manlier?) you can easily prove that the gay on is manlier than the average wolf and since they are far from silly you can only call it an exceptionally manly wolf.

Silly however, is the Brain in a Jar, if it can not control the necromancer who created it it will simply be an ornament in a jar for an eternity. I've seen a lot of silly things, and believe me, this is silly.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »
Your rhetorical skills are quite impressive, sir.
However, your powers of observation seem to be a bit lacking:  your "silly little brain" is not silly at all -- it melts brains!  and can rebuke undead, to boot.  And never mind that it is just a brain -- without a body -- this brain refuses to die!  And with 3 whole HD, no less -- A 3 HD BRAIN!

Now, if you want to see silly, simply flip a few more pages to the "desiccator".  This guy's major attack is ....... (wait for it) ....... (wait for it) .... hali-fucking-tosis.  Really?  "Oh, wait a minute -- I need a drink of water" -- give me a break.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

MyndBulletz

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
I think that's a perfectly logical thing for a dead water being to do...seek the water it lost in its former life by drinking it from others.

However, a Raiment...that's just too much for me. Undead clothing? Seriously?