Author Topic: What high-tier build shall't be?  (Read 7905 times)

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
What high-tier build shall't be?
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »
"My goal is to make the ultimate sneaker a tier 1 character, preferrably non ScM to save it for later. 
Unfortunately, Warlock (tier 4) or Dragonfire Adept (tier ?) being essential to fuelling BiS being essential to early HiPS, hopes for a high-tier character are low as those classes seem to be low on the tiers. They're in neither the second nor the first.
Eldritch Disciple Druid DfA Archivist? Advance invocation and manifesting/manifestation. Invocation spellcasting transparency. Artificer only to be in gestalt? Ultimate Magus invoker Wizard."

Tier stuff
[spoiler]
Tier 1: Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Archivist, Artificer, Erudite

Anarchic Initiate CPsi
Anima Mage ToM
Champion of Gwynharwyf BoED
Disciple of Dispater BoVD
Dreadmaster F&P
Dweomerkeeper CD
Emissaries of Barachiel BoED
Halruuan Elder ShS
Incantatrix PGtF
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil CA
Legendary Captain (if naval combat is required) Stormwrack
Moonspeaker (non-Druid entry) RoE
Planar Shepherd FoE
Rainbow Servant (Warmage entry) CD
Runescarred Berserker UE
Sacred Exorcist (non-Cleric entry) CD
Sentinel of Bharrai BoED
Soul Eater BoVD
Soulbow CPsi
Sublime Chord CA
Tainted Scholar HoH
Telflammar Shadowlord UE
Thrall of Juiblex BoVD
Thrallherd XPH
Ur-Priest CD
Void Disciple CD
Walker in the Waste Sandstorm

Forget mundane fighters; it should be a caster according to the top tier base classes.[/spoiler]

further 'splanation
[spoiler]
1. It's in quotes to partially relieve some of the blame for the...incomprehensibility. i.e. I originally typed the preceding intended only for myself at nitecyper.pastebin.com.

2. By ultimate sneaker, I mean a "Umbral Metamorphosis"-Collared, Incorporeal, Vecna-blooded, Chameleon Beguiler (ShS) "Wall of Gloom"-invoking Warlock/Hellbreaker Blending-into-Shadows Darkstalker

3. BiS: Blend into Shadows, the feat from Drow of the Underdark, page 47. HiPS means "Hide in Plain Sight".

4. "Eldritch Disciple Druid DfA Archivist? Advance invocation and manifesting/manifestation. Invocation spellcasting transparency. Artificer only to be in gestalt? Ultimate Magus invoker Wizard."

i) I own Complete Mage and I'd like to get the most out of it, so why not an Eldritch Disciple? They seem funky. Even funkier would be a Druid or Archivist Eldritch Disciple, no? They advance divine spellcasting, right? I'm so lazy that I'm not checking the book right beside me for it right now.

ii) On the note of odd classes such as Druid or Archivist fuelling, how about Favoured Soul? I don't even know if DfA works. They're not decidedly Eldritch, are they..?

iii) "Advance invocation and manifesting/manifestation" in the imperative.

iv) "Invocation spellcasting transparency." Something I should read up on.

v) Deducting from the options, Artificer is best when taking it fully, right? So, that's out.

vi) Ultimate Magus if invocation spellcasting transparency allows. I feel neutral about this. Convince me.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:34:44 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: What high-tier build shall't be?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »
the ultimate sneaker is one with a high enough bluff mod.

pic very much related.

I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
Find some way to obtain the [Void] subtype.  Who cares about sneaking when the only way for people to sense you is with True Seeing?  Since polymorphing gives you the type & subtype, just be a Neraphim or character with the Otherwordly feat and there you go.

Super Sneaker from level 1?  Definitely not.  But from level 7 or so...  Yep!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »
1. re: bluff to hide: it's mind-affecting and comes late. I'm looking for a clandestine character, not a covert character, if you understand the terminology.

2. re: Void subtype: Definitely a cool find, but like number 1, comes late.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:22:13 AM by NiteCyper »

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:46 AM »
bump

[spoiler]
I think I've got something fairly fun. Kuro, would you allow me to make some alterations to Eldritch Disciple? As it is, a DfA can enter it, but many of the class features and abilities are still keyed toward the Warlock. Currently thinking of a Dragonborn Warforged DfA/Ur-Priest/Eldritch Disciple (reflavored to Dragonfire Disciple).

Dryn Alaster is an Ex-member of a gang who tried to emulate chromatic dragons by modifying their bodies/DNA and using their augmented abilities to dominate other local gangs and perpetrate minor crimes. Dryn was visited by an aspect of the great Dragon God Bahamut who shed light on the more nefarious dealings of the gang, things including terrible experimentations on innocents stolen off the streets, evil cults working to bring forth mysterious Dark Forces, etc :p. Bahamut offered to make Dryn into one of his agents- an armored defender of justice, the breath of Bahamut, and reborn with a new identity... Platinum Dragon Soldier Talon (EX!!) his "Dragonfire Adept", Talon.

So, he's not technically born or created as a Warforged, nor as just a dragonborn. He'd technically be both, transformed almost like a Sentai or Kamen character. His Mecha-Dragon Armor protects him from harm, and his DfA powers help guide him through sticky situations in and out of combat. And he's quite apt as a team-player. ;)

I'll definitely be taking Humanoid Shape so as to blend in to different crowds. Not sure what invocation to take besides Endure Exposure so my team's not subject to my breath weapon (DfA's don't get nearly enough Invocations known. They get even less than Warlocks! :(). Also planning on going Wings Aspect to save on invocation choices.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:24:19 PM by NiteCyper »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:15:47 AM »
I think this didn't get many responses because the original post is very difficult to read and understand. I suggest replacing the original text with the text in the spoiler.

Vecna-Blooded Ghost with Hellbreaker 2 . Fill up those first 8 levels with Hiding things. Umbral Disciple 3 combined with the Dark template hypothetically grants concealment all day no matter what, due to the shadows being attached to you. But Ghost is a big LA! Eh, that's true. True Tier 1 builds might take the Savage Progression and buy it off as they go, leaving you with no LA. At low levels incorporealbility is enough to hide from just about anything and you juts Telekinesis everything around.

Hiding only goes so far. Vecna Blooded, Incorporealbility,  Telekinetic Static, permanent concealment and a pimped Hide modifier will cover you from nearly everything. The problem seems to be, then what? You use the last 10 levels for Ur Priest or something. A single prepared full-casting class is enough for tier 1. Cleric spell list is great, so use that one. Then what do you do for the next 9 levels? Well you could take Ur Priest 2 for turning. You could dip around to add things to your spell list. Minute Form might be fun.