Author Topic: This Board  (Read 5295 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
This Board
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
Thanks to PI for suggesting this temporary board- Brilliant!

We'll keep this up until about a week after the con.  If you're going or want to check to see the fun being had by the folks who are, this board is the place!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: This Board
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
I think this is the most appropriate place to ask this: How long is this event? Could someone give me a very general explanation of what exactly is this GenCon?

Handy Links

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
I haven't been there but from I can gather it is a yearly event which is occuring from august 14-17 in Indianappolis, Indiana, USA.  It is the longest running, largest gaming event in the entire world.  Pretty much a bunch of people getting together to talk about gameing and learn about different RPGs and such being released throughout the year.  Personnaly it sounds pretty fun and I can't wait to take a road trip there this summer.

Gencon webpage http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/.  Thx for putting up these boards I just saw it this morning.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »
Thanks to PI for suggesting this temporary board- Brilliant!
This is Brilliant Gameologists, after all.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
The dates for GenCon aren't the same, but it's always a Thurs-Sunday. 

In short, it's about 20,000 gamers converging on Indianapolis for a few days.  Huge HUGE vendor hall of which WotC always has the largest area with absolutely ever gaming publisher represented.  Lots of panels about gaming, run by different publishers (GenCon is where WotC makes it's announcements for the most part- 4e was announced here last year). 

Also host of the ENnies-- one of the big awards for the gaming industry.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »
Most fascinating, I must put this down as another option for my next year's vacation plans. Interrailing in Europe or a tour in the States? That remains to be seen.

Enjoy the gig people!

Handy Links

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
Most fascinating, I must put this down as another option for my next year's vacation plans. Interrailing in Europe or a tour in the States? That remains to be seen.
If you REALLY want to visit the states, I'd wait for Winter Fantasy/DDXP - its usually held in Washington, DC.  LOTS of stuff to do there.  Not quite as much to see/do in Indianapolis, but if you're more into gaming in general, then GenCon might be worth the trip.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
I heard something about there being video game developers showing up more and more at Gencon and some rumors about it slowly becoming the new E3.  Is that true(not that I'm realy complaining if it is.)?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
If you REALLY want to visit the states, I'd wait for Winter Fantasy/DDXP - its usually held in Washington, DC.  LOTS of stuff to do there.  Not quite as much to see/do in Indianapolis, but if you're more into gaming in general, then GenCon might be worth the trip.
GenCon wouldn't be the main thing for me though, even if meeting a bunch of CO people would be totally awesome. That said, summer would be so much better a time for me due to my studies. Thanks for the idea though, I need to think about that too!

Handy Links

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
I heard something about there being video game developers showing up more and more at Gencon and some rumors about it slowly becoming the new E3.  Is that true(not that I'm realy complaining if it is.)?

There are Video games but not that many.  On a side note, nothing is more amusing than seeing the bafflement of video game vendors when people are walking away from them bored. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 12:25:06 AM »
On a side note, nothing is more amusing than seeing the bafflement of video game vendors when people are walking away from them bored. 

I don't know...I have a picture of you and my husband trying desperately not to stare at the Everquest girl's boobs while your picture was being taken and I find that pretty damn amusing.  :fan
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:53:34 AM »
On a side note, nothing is more amusing than seeing the bafflement of video game vendors when people are walking away from them bored. 

I don't know...I have a picture of you and my husband trying desperately not to stare at the Everquest girl's boobs while your picture was being taken and I find that pretty damn amusing.  :fan

I was trying to see down her loincloth, thank you very much.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
I'm reposting this here from the GenCon forums in case there are attendees here that wish to participate.

From Tom with Gamers for Humanity...

Hi fellow attendees.

Gamers For Humanity is running a game drive at our booth this year at Gen Con. It's a great opportunity to help a lot of people, without a big time committment during the Con itself.

What: Gen Con Game Drive
When: During Exhibit Hall hours, Thursday-Sunday at Gen Con
Where: Booth 2328 (near Paizo, on the way to WOTC)
Details: We will be collecting games at our booth during the Con, and distributing them to local Indianapolis charities. The recipients are the Wheeler Mission Ministries (www.wmm.org), the Peyton Manning Childrens' Hospital (http://www.stvincent.org/ourservices/childrens/default_landing.htm), and the Indianapolis Ronald McDonald House (http://www.rmh-indiana.org/), all excellent and deserving charities. We would prefer new, family-oriented games, but gently-used and completely intact games are okay too. Just drop them off at our booth, and get a cool ribbon to display your generosity on your badge.
How: With enough game sellers in the Exhibit Hall to make your head spin, donating is easy enough. See a booth in the hall selling a cool game, pick it up, and drop it off at our booth. Get your badge ribbon, and walk away knowing that the game you bought is going to end up in the hands of someone who could really use some play time in their life.

Please come help us out during the Con. Gen Con is huge, and together we can make a world of difference.

Here's a link to the thread over there for more information if folks are interested.

There were more there the last time I was at Gen Con, than the previous two trips, but the presence was pretty minor. If you're looking for an E3 jr you may want to check out Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:43:21 AM by Kai »
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »

I dunno about "the new E3" but last year there was a definite "video gaming area" as well as a few others scattered through the hall. I hear that Champions Online will be shown at GenCon this year, I believe that the pirate ship MMO Pirates of the Burning Sea was first shown at GenCon in beta as well.