Author Topic: D20 Modern seems to be self-destructive  (Read 20022 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: D20 Modern seems to be self-destructive
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
Coz we keep feeding the troll is why.

:thumb
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
Feel free not to read this if you're interested in the ongoing d20 Modern discussion, as it is addressed to PhoneLobster.

[spoiler]
It strikes me as hilarious that someone who said he was utterly secure in his enjoyment of his community and in his sense of self worth takes openly offense so lightly.

Whether or not your remarks are somehow making me insecure (and I find it amusing that you seem to have fixated on this point) does not excuse the content of the remarks themselves.

Let's try a quick shorter summary to add comedic value...
TrappedSlider : "Why don't you post around here?"
Phonelobster : "It's boring here."
Bozwevial : "I feel good about this place and myself as a person regardless of what you say!"
Phonelobster : "That sounds insecure."
Bozwevial : "You attacked my community unprovoked! I am taking offense! YOU DIDN'T SAY MY NAME, SAY IT! SAY IT!"

Oh look, I can do this too!

PhoneLobster: I find this place dull and uninspired. You guys have the wrong username, 'cause you don't seem very brilliant to me.
Bozwevial: You know, the whole community does not hinge upon your approval.
PhoneLobster: Oooh, somebody sounds insecure!
Bozwevial: You're somehow startled that I took offense to the remark?
PhoneLobster: THAT'S JUST WHAT AN INSECURE PERSON WOULD SAY, I'M GOING TO AVOID THE ARGUMENT ALTOGETHER

You see? Neither of the two are accurate, neither of the two are mature, and neither one of them gets us anywhere.

Yeah... you know what the response of a person secure with their enjoyment of the community would be? Not to bother commenting that's what.

That I feel your community is narrow and uninteresting is not automatically an insult, and only an insecure person would respond to it as such.

The fact that you felt the need to say "I mean, I don't want to sound so harsh, but..." does rather bat its eyelashes suggestively at the notion that yes, it is an insult. The reason I felt like stepping in is not, as you seem to be implying, that I somehow feel inadequate, but that I am reluctant to simply overlook the remarks. Not every problem disappears if I pretend it doesn't exist.

My point is that it's rather narrow-minded to not expect any objection when you make derogatory remarks (and no, please don't try to pretend that they weren't) about an entire community, especially if those remarks are based on stereotypes and a small sampling of the community.

Now that I've pointed that out, I'll let you get back to work deconstructing d20 Modern. Feel free to make a parting shot about my insecurity or something. Whatever makes you feel better, man.[/spoiler]

PhoneLobster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
yet you still post around here :lol
Yes... on things I find interesting. And I would LIKE to be MORE interested in your community, sadly it is full of people like the three guys now trying to bait me, and calling me a troll WITHOUT any consequences, in an attempt to lock this thread.

Anyway, I KNOW a few of you guys are trying to turn this into a train wreck in an attempt to crush a discussion you find uncomfortable and drive out an outsider who you disagree with.

But really, you guys are EMBARRASSINGLY transparent.

Perhaps if you grew up a bit your community wouldn't look so narrow and uninviting to outsiders.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
You don't have to post the word "Troll" to lock something. A simple click on the "Report to moderator" link works. Typically when someone here says "troll", it means maybe everyone should step back and re-evaluate their position, language, and posting style.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
You don't have to post the word "Troll" to lock something. A simple click on the "Report to moderator" link works. Typically when someone here says "troll", it means maybe everyone should step back and re-evaluate their position, language, and posting style.

I'd have thought when people on this forum say troll they mean the monster most of the time...

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
The personal arguing needs to stop.

PhoneLobster, you have made a couple of good points, but your tone while posting is geared directly at inciting others.
It needs to stop.

That said, the others that got caught up in the argument, shouldn't have.
Abusive language does not excuse abusive language from any of the posters involved.

Let's try to get this back on topic if we can.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:55:48 AM by Dan2 »

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »

PhoneLobster, you have made a couple of good points, but your tone while posting is geared directly at inciting others.
It needs to stop.

Personally I think the topic has ran its crouse and this thread should be locked,but thats just my two two cents..
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »

It needs to stop.

Personally I think the topic has ran its crouse and this thread should be locked,but thats just my two two cents..

Well the OP got his answers and has moved on. So i think you are correct. PL if you would like to discuss the issues with d20 Modern, and preferably ways to fix them as well, then you should probably start your own thread concerning that. though if that is your choice i would ask that all try and keep the tone civil and constructive.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
Yea, i think i got all i could out of this perticular thread, i tried once to get it back on track, obviously didnt work.

please close this thread good moderator sirs...or ma'ams lol
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar