Author Topic: Horrifying Item Ideas  (Read 2737 times)

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
Horrifying Item Ideas
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:37:27 PM »
I am planning a session where most of the players will be getting some nice items with the caveat that they are all horrifyingly made of children's body parts.  I have items made up for everyone in my party except the gnome SCM, I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Examples:

Spinal cord whip (dagger whip as base)
~Made of connected spinal cords of children with sharpened end
~Screams pleadingly as a tortured child being struck screams out to its mother when used
~Hand is covered in dried blood as long as holding whip.

Styx's Passage
~A skull with two copper coins stuck to it's eye sockets.  Any time the skull's person kills a sentient being or participates in combat that kills said being landing at least one blow, spell, or effect, the copper coins covering the skull's eyes turn into gold coins which can be removed for 2 gold which are replaced by irremovable copper coins until the next kill.  Larger, or special creatures can result in Platinums or gems at the DM's discretion.  Furthermore the skull transforms into a medium sized version of the skull of whatever sentient creature (int +4) who he just killed. 
~When it chooses a person it possesses the attachment qualities of a cursed item toward that person and cannot chose another until the individual's death.
~Magical item takes limited wish or equivalent to destroy

Foot-Staff
~Staff made of leg bones with children's small feet on each end covered in ever preserved flesh, dripping blood which never seems to fall to the ground and leaves the hand of the holder when they release the staff. (Blood is mind altering effect)
~4 leg bones surrounding core staff
~As long as you hold it your movement speed goes up by 10 ft
~Enhancement bonus of the core staff transfers to the new staff.
~Those struck intentionally with a critical hit have DC 15 fort save vs a foot fungus which migrates painfully to their feet and start scratching like the little yellow fungus things in the prescription commercial where they go under your nails and scratch

~They make a fort save every day and if they fail the scratches its way further up their body
~Immediate Effects:
~~Sickened 1d4, Movement speed is cut by half
~~Fort save or cure disease (caster level 13) / high heal check would allow movement speed to increase by 1 foot every day as the wounds of the fungus heal and scar over.
~~After healing your feet, if exposed to the air, smell.  The horrid smell is to be decided from a DM made list and randomly rolled for.
~~Every fort save failed results in 2 dexterity damage.
~~If Dexterity reaches 0 the character is crippled for life.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
Re: Horrifying Item Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Give the ScM something worthwhile, e.g. modified Runestaff, Rod of Embassy (A&E), Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, crematory ashes to stand on, metamagic rod, Pearl of Power,
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:18:10 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
the collar of umbral metamorphosis is a good idea. make it out of baby teeth, or bent and warped rib bones.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
the collar of umbral metamorphosis is a good idea. make it out of baby teeth, or bent and warped rib bones.

I forgot to mention he is a Gnome with the Dark template.  So the Umbral Collar would be a bit redundant.  It was one of the first things that thematically popped into my mind.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »
My vote is for a tattered cloak that appears to have been made from the full skins of children, with a frame of assorted bones so it can still be worn, even in tatters. It raises the realism of any spell or spell-like ability that has a % realism by 10%, and raises the save DC by 1. Further, as long as it's worn, the wearer's shadow is the shadow of a small child, and every movement the wearer takes is exaggerated into a horrible injury on the shadow. If the wearer reaches out to grab something, the shadow reaches out and its arm snaps at the elbow. If he bends over, the shadow's spine breaks in two.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
My vote is for a tattered cloak that appears to have been made from the full skins of children, with a frame of assorted bones so it can still be worn, even in tatters. It raises the realism of any spell or spell-like ability that has a % realism by 10%, and raises the save DC by 1. Further, as long as it's worn, the wearer's shadow is the shadow of a small child, and every movement the wearer takes is exaggerated into a horrible injury on the shadow. If the wearer reaches out to grab something, the shadow reaches out and its arm snaps at the elbow. If he bends over, the shadow's spine breaks in two.
Wouldn't that just further break the SCM? The fluff is certainly a good idea but the powers of the item seem a little too good for a class that is already extremely powerful.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:57:27 PM by Bastian »

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »
Wouldn't that just further break the SCM? The fluff is certainly a good idea but the powers of the item seem a little too good for a class that is already extremely powerful.

That is highly contingent on my DM.  Given that most of the items require sacrifice, I think that he'd say go ahead as long as you are willing to have ability burn when you use it, which would rather suck on my current character.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:06:58 PM by LunaticsLament »
~Robert Heinlein

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
Also, each time you use it your reality drops by 2% (recovery rate of 1% per hour rest).  If you end up at a low enough reality, the shadow starts taking over.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
Also, each time you use it your reality drops by 2% (recovery rate of 1% per hour rest).  If you end up at a low enough reality, the shadow starts taking over.

Ow...  I love the thematic effect.
~Robert Heinlein

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:09:15 AM »

Ow...  I love the thematic effect.

Recommended reading: Hans Christian Andersen: The Shadow, 1847.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »
I also like how, with that version, after using it a few times, he'd have enough penalty to his realism that he'd need to use it more just to keep his reality % at normal levels. And it keeps going down...