Author Topic: Differentiating wizards and sorcerers  (Read 1692 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Differentiating wizards and sorcerers
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
As it stands, there isn't a lot of difference between wizards and sorcerers. Sure, I know, they're Core, and they've differentiated caster classes since then, but still...

Look at the fluff. Wizards learn to wield magic, sorcerers develop magical powers naturally, usually due to odd ancestry.

In my view this means that wizards, having a greater understanding of magic, can learn to manipulate it far better than a sorcerer can. However, in the end magic will always be something alien to them, and they will never be able to match a sorcerer in raw power. If both can shoot fire from their hands, both a wizard and a sorcerer could conceivably learn to shape the fire into a sword. The wizard would probably create a detailed replica of a mundane longsword from some learned pattern, while the sorcerer ends up with a giant greatsword-shaped mass of flames. However, only a wizard could manipulate magic at such a fundamental level that he could shoot ice from his hands instead. The sorcerer can shoot fire because the blood of red dragons flows through his veins - channeling the burning power of red dragons to shoot ice would be weird.

[spoiler]A good example is Kekkaishi - it has two main characters who have the same basic power (creating cube-shaped forcefields which can be imploded on enemies) but use it very differently. Yoshimori has plenty of stamina and power, but poor accuracy and speed. He also tends to use too much power without meaning to. By contrast, if Tokine is trying to trap a monster the size of a mosquito she will make a kekkai around it exactly the size of a mosquito, with no energy wasted. She eventually gets jealous of how durable his kekkai are and learns a technique which lets her create three layers around a target at once, but using it even once leaves her exhausted. Yoshimori takes longer to learn the technique, but uses it much more effectively. (Tokine makes up for it by learning how to shape her kekkai into long "spears", something which does not require much power and which Yoshimori does not have enough control to do)[/spoiler]

Now, some of this is covered already. Wizards have a potentially limitless spell selection, and get bonus feats they can use for metamagic or to encode magic into items. Sorcerers get more spells per day and fewer restrictions on when they can use them. However, I don't feel like this is enough. The underlying archetypes can be used as a guide for further mechanics. Plus, there are some problems with the ways they've been differentiated already. For instance, wizards find it easier to Heighten or Empower spells than sorcerers (they get bonus feats, and don't increase their casting time).

I would incorporate the effects of Heighten Spell and Eschew Materials into the sorcerer's spellcasting mechanism (ie. they aren't modifying the formula of a spell when they heighten it, their formula just doesn't specify an upper limit on the energy they put into it). Empower Spell I'm a little less sure of - maybe sorcerers' spells should just be more powerful to begin with, with a Warmage Edge style ability based on Charisma (I recommend making the bonus Cha mod x spell level). A d6 Hit Die would also help.

If you have ever made a rewrite of the wizard or sorcerer classes, what ideas have you used?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Differentiating wizards and sorcerers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »
4 skill points/level
K. Arcana and Planes
Free Eschew Materials feat at level 1
Free metamagic feat every 5 levels
Cha to saves as a misc bonus(level 3)
Cantrips at will (level 6)
Cha to AC as a deflection bonus (level 10)
First level spells at will (level 12)
Second level spells at will (level 18)

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »
Fundamentally, Wizards and Sorcerers do the same thing.  Each casts arcane spells and the method is flavor.  Mechanics generally favor the Wizard.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
4 skill points/level
K. Arcana and Planes
Free Eschew Materials feat at level 1
Free metamagic feat every 5 levels
Cha to saves as a misc bonus(level 3)
Cantrips at will (level 6)
Cha to AC as a deflection bonus (level 10)
First level spells at will (level 12)
Second level spells at will (level 18)

Upgrades like that would likely need to be balanced by reducing something about the sorcerer's spells. Unless you are balancing against wizards in which case these changes do not seem unreasonable. It would also make it worth while to take more than 6 levels of sorcerer.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
how bout balancing it out, by not gaining that stuff when you prestige out... 6 lvl investment in sorcerer anyone? no didnt think so.. not often at least..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »
I believe that is what I just said. Really you just have to balance the class against available prestige classes for sorcerers and other full casters, and in that case those additions look reasonable.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »
Well, I generally go for wiping the magic system out, replacing what the sorceror gets with something similar to psionic powers(using point based, etc), with the exception that they can manifest multiple powers in a single round(combining the actions so that only the longest action applies), but are subject to the CL point cap for each round(so a level 5 sorc would be able to shoot a 2 1 point magic missiles and a 3 point Summon Monster or he could just toss a full 5 point fireball). Learn spells by picking up spheres of power(which provides access to certain subsets of spells). Picking up a sphere multiple times gives you access to fancier spells in the sphere.

It's a bit too much work for a casual tweak though.

Another, related idea(shamelessly ripped off from Exalted), is to have 'power leaks' with sorcerors, so as they expend more points, they get to manifest secondary effects, depending on the spheres they have. Fire might give you a flame aura, which upgrades to a literal walking ball of fire, etc.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."