Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 2899 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Mass Effect 2
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
Any one else playing this?  This is a pretty solid CRPG.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:54 AM »
Sentinel FTW
I completed my first playthrough with a sentinel on hardcore, but it was too easy. I am playing again with a sentinel now, he is a lot better!
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
I did my 3rd playthrough (on Insanity) with a Sentinel - it is a solid class.

Did you play the 1st?  What do you think of the revamped skill & inventory system?  Are you playing on X360 or PC?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
I played through as an Infiltrator, then did my second run as a Vanguard. Biotic Charge is quite satisfying.

I have to say, I like the revamped inventory system (though I would prefer more frequent upgrades, or a wider variety). My only complaint is specific to the PC, where the game occasionally locks up on loading screens.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
I thought Biotic Charge would be suicidal on Hardcore, but turns out it isn't too bad, if you can get good cooldowns.

I would have liked to have seen the kind of customization available to your armor, also available for your wepaons - things like triggers, scopes, barrels, etc - for slight improvements/penalties to rounds/sec, spread, accuracy and other things.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »
Biotic Charge is just plain nasty, but it's situational. If there's an enemy near the edge of the fight, though, you can use it to retreat. I don't see how the area charge would be more useful than the other version of the power, especially given the time dilation effect after you exit the charge. Very helpful on higher difficulties.

I'm hoping the DLC improves on the game's lack of customization somehow, but...well, I'm not holding my breath.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
I did my 3rd playthrough (on Insanity) with a Sentinel - it is a solid class.

Did you play the 1st?  What do you think of the revamped skill & inventory system?  Are you playing on X360 or PC?

I played the first with a vanguard. Adrenaline Rush + Biotics = game over
To be honest, i liked the system more in the first game. Now it's like a shoot 'em up with some rpg elements. I'm playing on a PC.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
  • I think I'm getting pretty good.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:46 AM »
Yes! The first one was much better, it played like an RPG, almost like Oblivion in the way you could pick up weapons and armor from people you killed and whatnot. Now it's more like a shooter with an annoying camera view. And to upgrade your guns you have to fly around and probe planets for resources, which pretty much consists of you randomly pointing your cursor on it and it telling you if you found something or not. Yeah, first one was awesome! Second one...not as much. It's still a good game but it had more potential.
Playing Pingo, in The Artifact Prologue.

Running Dead Earth for my old table top group.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Yes! The first one was much better, it played like an RPG, almost like Oblivion in the way you could pick up weapons and armor from people you killed and whatnot. Now it's more like a shooter with an annoying camera view. And to upgrade your guns you have to fly around and probe planets for resources, which pretty much consists of you randomly pointing your cursor on it and it telling you if you found something or not. Yeah, first one was awesome! Second one...not as much. It's still a good game but it had more potential.

Actually, no :p.
They've put a lot of effort in the second installment. Story-wise, seemingly minor stuff you did in the first one had a major impact on the second. Probing planets is much easier than searching them with the mako thingy - it was too annoying. Finally, i used to use the "bash the door, kill everyone" tactic in the first one. In the second, doing this is impossible. A lot of battles require actual tactics to make it out alive, especially in the higher difficulties.

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
? Never said it wasn't a good story or tactical.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »

You did say that the second one was much better, RPG-wise. You know that "R" means "Role" right :P? Which has a lot to do with playstyle and how your character fits in the general picture.

There :p

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »
Okay you've lost me lol. I'm gonna forget I posted here now okay?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »

You did say that the second one was much better, RPG-wise. You know that "R" means "Role" right :P? Which has a lot to do with playstyle and how your character fits in the general picture.

There :p

Over the years the Term RPG has come to mean more than  that however, as a computer games genre it generally references intricate storytelling and more tactical and less skill driven combat as with the first mass effect (which is even then an FPSRPG hybrid). Departure from this is sometimes a good idea but I too felt that Mass Effect 2 was a letdown compared to the first for exactly the same reason, reliance on FPS qualities rather than its skill tree. Not to say I didn't enjoy it but I did feel generally let down by the lack of availability of weapons and the skill tree system that they used.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:59:50 AM »
Guys, i was just joking :p

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
On the other hand, ME2 did fix quite a few problems which the original had. *coughcoughMakocough*

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »
I actually didn't mind going down to the planets and getting mako. Sure it was repetitious as fuck sometimes but a lot of times you found other stuff while you were down there, IE items, codex's, clues for another quest. I preferred it to the probing of planets, where that lady's voice, Probing Planets, Nothing Found, over and over again was horrible...and more boring.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
I actually didn't mind going down to the planets and getting mako. Sure it was repetitious as fuck sometimes but a lot of times you found other stuff while you were down there, IE items, codex's, clues for another quest. I preferred it to the probing of planets, where that lady's voice, Probing Planets, Nothing Found, over and over again was horrible...and more boring.

Well, it depends. Sometimes you could find something easily. Some other times you had to wander around the planet doing nothing but pressing the 'w' button :P
Moreover killing enemies while inside the mako gave less XP (somewhere around half? i don't remember).

One thing i liked from the first one was being a specter. It's hardly mentioned or has any impact in the second game which makes me sad :(

ragincajun2288

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
I loved my Adept character in the first one, he just destroyed masses of people with the biotic's.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
I loved my Adept character in the first one, he just destroyed masses of people with the biotic's.

If you liked biotics, you should really try vanguard :P
Adrenaline rush resets all abilities, making you able to destroy people with biotics again.
Plus, you never run out of that buff that makes your pistol imba (screw the rest of the weapons, pistols are the real shit :D).

Too bad biotics are a lot worse in ME2 :(

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »

Well, you knew right away if there was something other than a resource on the planet, because EDI would tell you there was an anomaly. If you were looking for resources, all you had to do was check the graph for spikes indicating what type of mineral was there. You also had an indication of the relative number and size of deposits left on the planet...really, it was an improvement from the Mako sections.