Author Topic: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help  (Read 108938 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
Yes, but DND math isn't basic math.
Except when dealing with real world values, like money. I think.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »
Yes, but DND math isn't basic math.
Except when dealing with real world values, like money. I think.
The problem is whether we are dealing with XP (not a real world value) or XP cost (cost being a real world 'value' with XP just being the units). I'm leaning toward the second one.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »
The thing that always got me about crafting is the time requirements.  Most campaigns are on the 2-4 months and done time frame, and that doesn't leave a lot of time to craft a ton of cool stuff.  I know that's DM dependent, but still.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
I didn't see any mention of this, but if the game has no down time at all, try to get the DM to allow Crafting Points: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm.  Lets one actually get to use the Artificer in a dungeon: Lets them auto-make up to 690,000 gp worth of stuff (using other people's crafting pools, too).  Not really sleazy at all, though that does mean absolutely no down time due to crafting.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:48:41 PM by jameswilliamogle »

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
The problem is whether we are dealing with XP (not a real world value) or XP cost (cost being a real world 'value' with XP just being the units). I'm leaning toward the second one.
I maintain xp costs fall under the category of abstract value, as the unit of measurement is abstract in itself.

Quote from: dmg page 282
To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats. They invest time, money, and their own personal energy
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
The text is "reduce the base cost by 25%", not "multiply the base cost by 75%".  In DnD those two things are not equivalent.

Besides, XP costs are a value entirely dependent upon real-world values, and is primarily  effected by things which influence the real world "base cost".  Mixing and matching is something that will only end in tears.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
I maintain xp costs fall under the category of abstract value, as the unit of measurement is abstract in itself.

Quote from: dmg page 282
To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats. They invest time, money, and their own personal energy
The problem with that is by that definition in dnd cost in units of money is also an abstract value since gold pieces aren't used in real life. Furthermore, one of the examples of a real world value was squares (of movement). While squares are really 5 x 5 x 5 feat cubes, squares still aren't used in the real world.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Dragon 348, Witchwarden Affiliation, page 72. 10% reduction is xp cost.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
If you can persuade your DM that 'Raw Materials" counts as an item, you can use stuff like Merchantile Background and Diplomacy for a 25% or 10% discount respectively.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Dragon 348, Witchwarden Affiliation, page 72. 10% reduction is xp cost.
Excellent! I will add that right away.

@telehax: I'm not sure about that one but I'll think on it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:19:44 PM by Bastian »

randcortin

• Monkey bussiness
Can you please give the page number of the reduction costs from the DMG? I've been over the Magic Items section about five times, and unless it's just hiding from me, I simply cannot find it. Things like having a specific race or skill  to use simply don't seem to be in any of the tables.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Can you please give the page number of the reduction costs from the DMG? I've been over the Magic Items section about five times, and unless it's just hiding from me, I simply cannot find it. Things like having a specific race or skill  to use simply don't seem to be in any of the tables.
It's not. It's in the text, a bit below the tables. Check here.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

randcortin

• Monkey bussiness
Ahhh, there it is. My thanks!

fealix

• Monkey bussiness
Hey I have a list of all the constructs I could find how to make them, and what book they are in and what page, what spells you need, how much gp to just buy, how much gp to make(after reading this I now know that should be considered the base price thanks man   :clap) and most of them whether or not they are immune to magic. unfortunately it is a very long .xlsx file and does not transfer well is there a way to do it without having to completely rewrite it? I have 88 constructs here and I am sure I am missing some. but this list has made for some fun times with mages in the past and I kinda wanna share it.

fealix

• Monkey bussiness
/facepalm sorry also the craft dc's to make them are there too. sorry about posting 3 times...

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
New ACF and spell to add to the list.
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
I would like to add the following items to the list:

The "Scribe" cleric ACF from Dragon Magazine 353 pg 89, grants you the Scribe Scroll feat and reduces the exp cost to scribe them by 25%... in exchange for your turning/rebuking ability.

The Research Aid spell from Dragon 342 pg 55, reduces the time the caster spends crafting by 50% (among other things).  It's a level 4 divine spell gained by taking the Initiate of Boccob feat.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:36:25 PM by Andion Isurand »

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: New ACF and spell to add to the list.
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
I would like to add the following items to the list:

The "Scribe" cleric ACF from Dragon Magazine 353 pg 89, grants you the Scribe Scroll feat and reduces the exp cost to scribe them by 25%... in exchange for your turning/rebuking ability.

The Research Aid spell from Dragon 342 pg 55, reduces the time the caster spends crafting by 50% (among other things).  It's a level 4 divine spell gained by taking the Initiate of Boccob feat.

Does research aid help magical or non-magical crafting?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:20:39 AM by Bastian »

Handbook_Writer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Someone mentioned to me that Salamander Orchids from Dragon 357 make flaming and flaming burst weapons cheaper. They didn't however give me the specifics, so if anyone knows the specifics that would be a great  help to me.

-Bastian
If you want to write a handbook that other users can edit or simply move in an existing one from another forum, but do not have the time or motivation to edit it, you can use this account. To gain access to this account, send Tshern a private message.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Someone mentioned to me that Salamander Orchids from Dragon 357 make flaming and flaming burst weapons cheaper. They didn't however give me the specifics, so if anyone knows the specifics that would be a great  help to me.
I might have that one.

Edit: sorry no, the latest I have 342
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:55:17 PM by jojolagger »
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Dragon 357 is 4e. I don't have that one but I'm immediately skeptical of the information.I'm dumb. Here it is.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:56:55 PM by bearsarebrown »