Author Topic: Graft Handbook Question  (Read 10085 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Graft Handbook Question
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
Would it be too divergent to include symbionts (most in MoE&ECS&FF) in such a project?

I think they have a similarity to grafts in being of an old and new style. AFB, so I can't include more specific info.
Unlike grafts, symbionts are not crafted. I could not find a single one that was optimal or even useful. I don't think having a little creature slowly eat you is a reward
Gutworms aren't useful?
They aren't symbionts ;)
Fiend Folio disagrees with you.

Fiendish familiar is also pretty good.  Soul ticks are meh, ghostly visages are awesome as familiars (from dread necromancer).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »
The mindflayer graft penalties are not too bad. Worship an elder evil and pick up Insane Defiance :)

Also, on a personal note. I combine the graft rules when trying to talk a DM into allowing things.
1. No more than 5 grafts at once.
2. Grafts cannot share the same space, ie you can only have one skin and you'll lose an arm if you want a third leg.
3. Grafts of the same type may provide bonuses as noted and all penalties from different graft types apply. Example wearing multiple dragon grafts gives DR as noted (I think they do) but wearing both mindflayer and fiend grafts will impose both the -4 saves vs mind-affecting stuff and the compulsions to do evil.
The only rule skipped is limited to one type and instead uses the already existing penalty and reward system the old and new styles use.
Sounds reasonable?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Unlike grafts, symbionts are not crafted. I could not find a single one that was optimal or even useful. I don't think having a little creature slowly eat you is a reward
[/quote]

You should experience two Nasty Gentlemen knocking at your door shortly...

seriously, with impure prince, they're cheap as hell
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
Would it be too divergent to include symbionts (most in MoE&ECS&FF) in such a project?

I think they have a similarity to grafts in being of an old and new style. AFB, so I can't include more specific info.
Gutworms aren't useful?
They aren't symbionts ;)
Fiend Folio disagrees with you.

Fiendish familiar is also pretty good.  Soul ticks are meh, ghostly visages are awesome as familiars (from dread necromancer).
My bad, I was thinking Gut Mites from Complete Scoundrel.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:33:59 PM »
Nasty Gentlemen knocking at your door shortly...

seriously, with impure prince, they're cheap as hell
Um I forgot what that build was.

And impure prince is a 1 level dip for a swift hunter. Past that its some small x to y stat things. (comon who doesn't have high con?)

Though finding a mechanical method to actually get one of those things is neat (and perhaps it allows you to get all the ones that are listed...) its not worth pidgeon-holing to a PrC to get one of those critters.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »

If your goal is to evaluate crafted grafts, then I see your point. No commonality. 60% of the population has found my use for tongueworm  :P ...gratifying.