Author Topic: Character Development - Redux  (Read 17817 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Character Development - Redux
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
Well the strength portion of blazing starfall is irrelevant since it is only for cosmic sorc. I'll fix the HP shortly. Since I'm not that familiar with 4e or the pacing of this game, should I go with a ranged attack that can get the minions or should I go with a burst that I can use to defend myself from melee better?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Honestly it depends on how you plan on playing. If you make yourself a big target by looking weaker than the others and by primarily using ranged attacks, any melee-oriented minions of mine will probably move to flank you first. However, you do have two defenders, which will help keep enemies off you.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
I guess I'd most likely play like artillery. So yeah I probably would be a bigger target. I'm guessing I can likely out run most monsters and if they are coming after me a round or two after the fight begins it will trigger the defender's abilities. So maybe it would be worth it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »
Want to know what I like about this character?

I'm the paladin.  I will ruin all of your plans by refusing to even roll a stealth check!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2010, 01:32:56 AM »
Haha, this is going to be a fun group. :)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
I went with lightning spray, or force lightning as I like to think of it  ;), for my other at will with the intent of swapping it out later for acid orb (lightning/thunder style) or blazing star fall (thunder style) if I needed an at will minion killer and had something else to help against melees.

So I'm ready when you are, I think at least. Also I set my xp to 100 which was marked as the group average in one of the threads, if you want I can put it at 0 since I really hadn't earned it.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
To be honest, I prefer to just level people up when I feel like it, but xp will be an indicator of about where you guys will level up. Just as a fair warning, you guys may get bonus xp to level up early in some cases. It's fine to keep it at 100.

As for where you come on, pick a square somewhere in the A-B 11-14 sector to have yourself placed. You can roll Perception and/or stealth as well. I'll PM you about the reasoning why you're here and all.

Now all we need is Risada's position and we're set.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »
Now all we need is Risada's position and we're set.

I already posted... sorry for not noticing your posts before  :blush

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
I edited in my init roll in my last post.

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
Still tweaking my character before my entrance.

Just picked up a level 1 Daily called "Decree of Khirad" that attacks vs. Will in an ally-friendly blast 3. I shift around my targets and, on hit, force them to attack creatures of my choice... which can trigger defender mark effects! Granted, marked enemies will take -2 for not attacking the paladin, but they'll also eat the radiant damage! And if they miss, they take 1d6 + mods psychic damage from me.

Sadly, there is almost zero magic item and class feat support for Hexblades. Most of the warlock magic implements have effects based on the warlock curse (which I don't have). Same with the feats.

Hopefully they'll increase the available options at some point.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:37:56 PM by lotofsnow »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
Don't worry, we can work something out. Take a look at some of the Warlock handbook stuff, and if you see a feat you like but it doesn't quite fit, let me know and we can work on modifying it. I'm open to house-rules and homebrew so long as I can make it fit and balance against similar things.

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »
OK. Thanks.

I should be all set for the next couple levels at least.

Here is a change that someone on the official Wizards char ops board suggested:

"One easy but slow way to artificially give Hexblades support is to change all the feats/magic items/PP features/etc. that affect Pact Boons in such a way that Hexblades can use those features. Rewording these things from "...when an enemy under your Warlock's Curse drops to 0 HP" to "...when your Pact Boon is triggered" goes a long way."

But, shouldn't be a problem for awhile yet. So no worries.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
That's one of the things I was considering. We'll make it work.