Author Topic: Enhancing Abjuration (+AC, Saves, Resistances)  (Read 2440 times)

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Enhancing Abjuration (+AC, Saves, Resistances)
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:46 AM »
Say I'm playing a caster that has access to Abjuration spells, mainly that give +AC and +Saves. Is there a way to enhance those values?

What I cam up with was:
- Take 5 levels in Abjurant Champion.
- Feats: Spell Focus (Abj), Practiced Spellcaster, Abjurative Potency(DR325).

Could you guys suggest anything else that I can add to this?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Enhancing Abjuration (+AC, Saves, Resistances)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:12 AM »
The Shield spell can get a boost from Argent Savant, since it's a Force spell.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Paragonistic Apostle also gives +2 AC with such spells, and can even give +4.

Tell us your build though, and we'll be able to just optimize your saves and AC better without even that.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
Couldn't you just add Legacy Champion or something similar and continue to boost your AC increases from Abjurant?

RealMarkP

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
Paragonistic Apostle also gives +2 AC with such spells, and can even give +4.

Tell us your build though, and we'll be able to just optimize your saves and AC better without even that.

I'm actually playing a homebrew class: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Healer_%283.5e_Class%29. Which is loosely based off the Healer class from Miniatures. The spells of said class are mostly Abjuration and Conjuration (Healing). I think the healing spells are covered, I'm just interested in enhancing the protection spells with feats or PrCs. I don't have access to domains and I won't have access to Turn/Rebuke undead until level 8. I'm also thinking that the campaign will see this character into epic levels.

Looking at the Paragnostic Apostle now...

EDIT: Paragnostic Apostle looks like an excellent class to up my Conj(Healing) spells as well. The Mind over Body section ups my caster level by 1 when using Conj(Healing) or Transmutation spells. This PrC is joygasmic!

EDIT2: The Abjurant Champion has a neat ability called 'Arcane Boost'. Does anyone know if that type of ability can be attained from a divine spell caster progression? I could alternatively take 1 level of sorcerer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:44:31 PM by RealMarkP »

RealMarkP

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:42 AM »
..., and can even give +4.

Quick question, the class only allows for a +2 to AC when you take Mind over Body. How do you get the +4?

So far, I'm up to +3 AC:
- +2 from Mind over Body
- +1 from Abjurative Potency

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:14 AM »
Ask the DM if you can get Mage Armor and it's variants as Abjurations, then watch as he is surprised they aren't already.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:43:51 AM »
..., and can even give +4.

Quick question, the class only allows for a +2 to AC when you take Mind over Body. How do you get the +4?

So far, I'm up to +3 AC:
- +2 from Mind over Body

You can take the same ability twice, you just can't take it in consecutive levels, and the Skill Requirement raises by 2 each time. It can be +6, too.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »
Ask the DM if you can get Mage Armor and it's variants as Abjurations, then watch as he is surprised they aren't already.
Or just use Luminous Armor and Luminous Armor Greater from Book of Exalted Deeds.

RealMarkP

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
Cool. So far, I'm up to +7 AC:
- +6 from Mind over Body

I still have two feats open in my character progression. Short of boosting my CL, are there any other feats for boosting abjuration spells (Other than the ones noted in OP)?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
You can take the same ability twice, you just can't take it in consecutive levels, and the Skill Requirement raises by 2 each time. It can be +6, too.

Although you can choose some of these abilities multiple times (as indicated in the descriptions), you may not select the same one twice in a row, and the minimum required skill rank increases by 2 for each subsequent selection of the same ability.

Some of them do indeed specify being able to take it multiple times in the description; however, mind over matter lacks this text.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
Too bad, then. Wouldn't be too unbalanced to allow it, though, I think. It's peanuts compared to Abjurant Champion.

RealMarkP

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
Too bad, then. Wouldn't be too unbalanced to allow it, though, I think. It's peanuts compared to Abjurant Champion.
I'm sure I can convince my DM to agree to this.