Author Topic: 8 Simple Rules For Selecting Sorcerer Spells  (Read 46920 times)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
8 Simple Rules For Selecting Sorcerer Spells
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

This mini-guide isn't meant to tell you which are the best sorcerer spells or how to play or build your sorcerer. Rather this guide is simply meant to create a thought process for picking out sorcerer spells and to help maximize your sorcerer's effectiveness.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:59:11 PM by ninjarabbit »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: 8 Simple Rules For Selecting Sorcerer Spells
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:02:21 PM by ninjarabbit »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:10:37 PM by ninjarabbit »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:14:41 PM by ninjarabbit »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:20:26 PM by ninjarabbit »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:13:28 PM by ninjarabbit »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:13 PM »
Hmmm..... reserved for what, I wonder?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »

#4 Metamagic breathes new life into old spells: Something simple like heighten spell, split ray, or empower spell can make low level spells like charm person, glitterdust, and scorching ray viable at medium or even high levels. Think twice before replacing these spells and/or upgrading to another spell.
I believe you misspelled "sculpt" as "heighten" there.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »

#4 Metamagic breathes new life into old spells: Something simple like heighten spell, split ray, or empower spell can make low level spells like charm person, glitterdust, and scorching ray viable at medium or even high levels. Think twice before replacing these spells and/or upgrading to another spell.
Sorcerers do get more mileage out of Heighten Spell than Wizard spells do, and that's before considering things like Shadowcraft Mage.  Especially things like Cham Person or Bestow Curse.  Sculpt Spell is amazing, though.  It just can't work on every spell like Heighten can (and before you start saying that there is never any reason to heighten no-save spells, think again).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »

Sorcerers do get more mileage out of Heighten Spell than Wizard spells do, and that's before considering things like Shadowcraft Mage.  Especially things like Cham Person or Bestow Curse.  Sculpt Spell is amazing, though.  It just can't work on every spell like Heighten can (and before you start saying that there is never any reason to heighten no-save spells, think again).

I did. I don't know what you're getting at here.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
It's fine the way it is.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
Spell Turning and Limited Magic traits can both be avoided or limited by Heighten Spell, and I think it's  one of two metamagic feats that can be applied to every single spell in existance.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
Both heighten spell and sculpt spell are good metamagic feats, I really don't see the reason for the debate. I was just using heighten spell as an example.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
I've never really been in a situation when playing a sorcerer where heightening a spell would be better than just using a spell of that level.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
I've never really been in a situation when playing a sorcerer where heightening a spell would be better than just using a spell of that level.
There are a few times, such as you don't know a spell of that level that would be more useful.  I'm not saying it comes up often, just that they do get more mileage out of it than a Wizard does.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »

It's rare, but with a Sorcerer's limited spells known, it can happen. For instance, let's assume you've just hit 14th level and got your first 7th level spell. Arcane Spellsurge is it, if you know what you're doing. I'm assuming you've got a Runestaff for Elemental Body. That 3 spells per day (and let's assume 1 more from CHA, shall we?), one going to EB, you've got 3 left. Now, I'm not sure you'll be casting this 3 times a day. Probably, but who knows? Well, actually, I'm sure you will.

Now look at your 8th level spell when you're 16th. It's what? Greater Arcane Fusion, right? But what if your only Will Targeting spell is Freezing Glance? Won't you agree that +2 DC is worth a higher slot for this spell? Or you're fighting a Black Ethergaunt, and know that without Heighten it does nothing? Perhaps you want +4 DC for Wings of Flurry? I'd still prefer GAF.

I agree it doesn't come up as much, but what with your fairly limited spell choices it might come in handy. It's one of the better Metamagics for DC based spells (...wait, isn't it just better to make the spell itself better with Metamagic?). I'd still prefer other Metamagic most of the time, such as making that Wings of Flurry Maximized, though.

You know what, after all that looking at options and spells, I've decided I really prefer other Metamagic. Also, Sorcerers are all the more pathetic now that I've looked at the table again. Hell, without Metamagic, I could predict their every action. Still can, probably. Good thing my DM is reasonable.

Heighten gets an F.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
Having heighten spell means you don't have to upgrade your low level save-or-be-screwed spells and I can choose something else instead with my higher level spells. Not to mention Shadowcraft Mage and early-entry-into-PrCs abuse.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
Having heighten spell means you don't have to upgrade your low level save-or-be-screwed spells and I can choose something else instead with my higher level spells. Not to mention Shadowcraft Mage and early-entry-into-PrCs abuse.

I don't see myself often wanting to waste a higher level slot for a DC boost alone. If it worked like Psionic Augments, sure, but it doesn't.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
And anyway, the low-level save-or-lose spells aren't usually that great. It's like 'save or drop your weapon' or 'save or be blind', which isn't bad, but it's a debuff a lot of higher-level creatures can ignore. When you get to higher levels, you get things like 'save or be shredded into powder' or 'save or collapse into a singularity'.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
You know, I would just build Heighten Spell into the sorcerer's casting mechanism. Makes it more fluid.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]