Author Topic: 3.5e Best Monk Race?  (Read 11663 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: 3.5e Best Monk Race?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 06:43:15 AM »
Hengeyokai sparrow monk/warshaper/master of many forms?

Perhaps human divine minion (choose one)?

Anthropomorphic monkey monk?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
what level are you starting at?

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »
The campaign starts at level 1. Human is a good starting race and the default for now.

I'm very happy with my Human Saint VoP Monk

This is the ultimate goal. However, We (since this is my friends character) are debating if gaining the extra feat is worth losing a few racial abilities that he would get from, say, being a Dragonborn Dwarf or whatever.

The feats that we chose were as follows
- Sacred Vow -> VoP
- Psionic Fist (Only if Psionic)
- Improved Natural Attack
- Fists of Iron
- Flying Kick
- Hammer Fist
- Tashalatora

PrCs to consider:
- Psionic Fist
- Fist of the Forest

Considering how many feats we have looked into, having that extra bonus feat at 1st level might help him in the long run. He plans on playing him completely offensively.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »
well, the way you do it with a human is to take both sacred vow and VoP at level one, thereby granting you a bonus exalted feat from VoP. you then take nymph's kiss, and get a nice little skill boost that no one else can get without either having flaws or using a different "+1 bonus feat at lvl1" race. this is because nymph's kiss does not grant skill points retroactively.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »
The feats that we chose were as follows
- Sacred Vow -> VoP
- Psionic Fist (Only if Psionic)
- Improved Natural Attack
- Fists of Iron
- Flying Kick
- Hammer Fist
- Tashalatora

PrCs to consider:
- Psionic Fist
- Fist of the Forest
Vow of Poverty is underpowered (as in, if you bought items to replicate its effects, you'd have gold left over). One of the best things you can get from it is Touch of Golden Ice, and you can take that as a normal feat anyway. It's not worth giving up things like dorjes and flight items (though wings can make up for the latter).

Fists of Iron doesn't grant a significant bonus, and Hammer Fist is hard to use.

Psionic Fist sucks compared to Tashalatora. Your manifesting won't be as strong as plain psychic warrior, and you need to pay a feat to get in (as well as take a rather pointless third level in monk) - the result also gives you fewer bonus feats than a PW. Even if you can stack it with Tashalatora to progress your monk abilities twice as fast, it's still not really worth it. War mind would make a better psionic PrC choice, though I'd still go PW since it lets you use psionics from an earlier stage.

He plans on playing him completely offensively.
Half-orc (or desert half-orc) with Headlong Rush, dragonborn [wings] template optional. Nasty if combined with psionic lion's charge or a 1-level barbarian dip with the ACF from Complete Champion which grants pounce. True, unless you have houserules in place, you'll lose rage by being lawful, but two levels of half-orc paragon make up for that (grant rage which does not depend on alignment, and stacks uses of existing rage).

Also, find some way to apply the valorous quality to your unarmed strikes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:09:36 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RealMarkP

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »
Vow of Poverty is underpowered (as in, if you bought items to replicate its effects, you'd have gold left over). One of the best things you can get from it is Touch of Golden Ice, and you can take that as a normal feat anyway. It's not worth giving up things like dorjes and flight items (though wings can make up for the latter).
Be it as it may, it will go a long way for making a case towards gaining the Saint template. Our DM isn't fond of giving out templates so when you can show him that you are deserving of it, he will consider it. Being able to fly is easy to fix by a magic user or wand (cast on him by an ally). There are other casters in the group that can enhance the monk to compensate for the VoP inadequates.

Fists of Iron doesn't grant a significant bonus, and Hammer Fist is hard to use.
I don't have much experience with either of these feats so I will take your word on it. Can you explain how Hammer Fist is hard to use?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
extra damage does not appy if you make a flurry of blows attack or you are holding anything in either hand.

Fists of Iron
Type: General
Sources: Complete Warrior
Sword and Fist

You have learned the secrets of imbuing your unarmed attacks with extra force.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +2.
Benefit: Declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a missed attack roll ruins the attempt). You deal an extra 1d6 points of damage when you make a successful unarmed attack. Each attempt counts as one of your uses of the Stunning Fist feat for the day.

better to take something that will boost damage on all of your attacks when you Flurry

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »
Well, I suppose you could combine Hammer Fist with the Decisive Strike ACF. :smirk (Lose flurry. As a full attack you make one attack which deals double damage, with flurry penalties. When you would normally gain two extra attacks as part of a flurry, you can make two double-damage attacks as a full attack.)

So, if you combine this with psionic lion's charge, you're charging at an enemy and punching them with both hands held together.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:20:26 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
try this:

Dragonborn(mind Aspect) Warforged (+4 Con, -2 Dex,-2 Wis,-2 Cha)

ex-Barbarian(Wolf Totem) 2/ Monk 2/ Fighter 6/ Warmind 10

feats:

RealMarkP

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »
Cool, thanks guys.  :clap