Author Topic: Need Help Making This Monstrosity a Viable Character *Update on 7th page*  (Read 26042 times)

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Get a scythe. Coup De Grace Child, then self. You have killed yourself, and now gain your own templates again. And Again. And Again. And Again. Rinse, Repeat. Have fun and kill every god or ant he sends.
:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Get a scythe. Coup De Grace Child, then self. You have killed yourself, and now gain your own templates again. And Again. And Again. And Again. Rinse, Repeat. Have fun and kill every god or ant he sends.
Don't think it works like that. He'd probably super-seed that one.

@ Saxony -- I have asked those questions actually. At least for my current character. For that character, he wants me to go psionic. As for the Pathfinder ones, he's looking at them right now and trying to figure out how he'll get them to fit in since they're changed. As for the just taking class levels, the answer is yes and no. Yes I can, until something happens (usually storyline wise) that'll bring out my LAs.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

A_Shadow_of_Life

Chaos is great, specially when you turn someone's own stupid crap on them and release your uberness.

You could always try it! :D Or, start Coup De Gracing Enemy PC's. (The other player's, yes, kill them all! There can only be one!)
:sparta

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Chaos is great, specially when you turn someone's own stupid crap on them and release your uberness.

:sparta :sparta :sparta

You could always try it! :D Or, start Coup De Gracing Enemy PC's. (The other player's, yes, kill them all! There can only be one!)
:sparta
That'd work if I was CE and then the retaliation came forth. I'd have to have a reason for it. Like if I was a full mind flayer and eating their brains.

A_Shadow_of_Life

I have yet heard of a very good reason why there is no death and why you have to take a bunch of LA's.

*Grins* When he can give -me- a good reason, then I'll agree with you needing a reason xD

[spoiler][/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I have yet heard of a very good reason why there is no death and why you have to take a bunch of LA's.

*Grins* When he can give -me- a good reason, then I'll agree with you needing a reason xD
Oh, there's death. It's just that you come back to life without need of Resurrection, True Resurrection, or Raise Dead. And you get the LAs through parenting (ie a dragon mating with a celestial), and circumstances (ie you were bitten by a vampire or struck by a lycanthrope and then getting spit on by an aberration's breath weapon that turns you into an aberration too). There's other variations to it as well. He once told me that there he had something like 45 different way of bringing everyone back to life, but in some abnormally strange way.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Why doesn't he just build everyone's characters for them? That sounds like what he really wants to do. Whenever you level, he takes the character sheet, puts the new stuff on it, then gives it back to you all next session?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
It's all about the false hopes. It is your character that you want to play, until something happens.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
Something about this whole mess just doesn't add up.

Are the other people happy with this kind of game?
Because as the players they still trump Rule 0... and that's by getting up and walking away from the table.

If no one wants to play you aren't much of a DM.

In the midst of the burning of his car suggestions you noted that he is the "last to arrive and the first to leave."
Well that implies he arrives from somewhere else, like his house.  Which means games are not held at his house.
So shouldn't whoever's house this is be well within his rights to say, "GTFO", or at the very least "he's running now.  deal with it" followed by "gtfo"?

I mean I can understand if you are the only one voicing complaints here since you have fewer legs to stand on, but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.  Unless, these people have never played a real D&D game and have no idea how this is all supposed to be.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
No, these guys are veterans. If anything I'm the newb by comparison. Three of these guys have been playing since 1st edition was released. It's just that two of them have retired from DMing altogether, and this DM took over. Well, that's the story for the Friday night DM. The Sunday night one took over after the previous one moved away. But Friday DM is the way he is, and everyone accepts it blindly, despite the arguing on some things, because their spin on it is "All DMs have their own style. That's his. It's cheap, it's weird, and sometimes dumb, but that's just his style." Three people have left the group, one of them had flown into a blind rage (this is before I joined), and they just see as that they couldn't accept his style of DMing or gaming.

So I wouldn't say people are "happy" with that kind of game, but they do tolerate it.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Have you tried getting in contact with the three who left?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Have you tried getting in contact with the three who left?
The guy who flew off the handle I've never met, only heard of, and the other two I see when they come into town and drop in for a session if it's alright with the group. Those two I've met, maybe twice each. They've only actually sat in the campaign once though. The one guy I've gotten to know not too badly lives way out of town, and isn't too keen on high level campaigns. He likes them when they're between 1-10. You're more mortal then. Anything after that's a bit much for him. The other one lives out of province, and works like 20 days a month, then gets 14 days off, then works again. He likes his role playing, not so much combat. He plays half-elf rogues with that human feat (gives you +1 skill pt each level) or changeling factotums who have Investigate and high levels of Gather Information.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
No, these guys are veterans. If anything I'm the newb by comparison. Three of these guys have been playing since 1st edition was released.

That doesn't mean much, IMO.

That's a lot like saying, "I've been watching <insert TV show> since the first season, which was 20 years ago.  You've only come along since season 15."

Well if that show is crap, and you've never watched anything else on TV then you still have no idea what a good TV show is supposed to be like, despite the fact that you've been watching TV for 15 years longer than I have.

Quote from: Nale
It's not the years, kid.  It's the mileage.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
No, these guys are veterans. If anything I'm the newb by comparison. Three of these guys have been playing since 1st edition was released.

That doesn't mean much, IMO.

That's a lot like saying, "I've been watching <insert TV show> since the first season, which was 20 years ago.  You've only come along since season 15."

Well if that show is crap, and you've never watched anything else on TV then you still have no idea what a good TV show is supposed to be like, despite the fact that you've been watching TV for 15 years longer than I have.

Quote from: Nale
It's not the years, kid.  It's the mileage.
Mmm, I can't completely agree with you on that one. At least not with that being your reference. Why? Because it's all relative. There's a reason I've been watching that show for 20 years. Maybe the first 15 years were awesome, and season 16 on is crap by comparison but I'm bound and determined to finish it because I've already been through this much. Who are you to dictate to me what's good TV? Maybe the TV you watch now is crap. That's your opinion and that's mine. For example, The Simpson's. I watch all the old episodes over and over because they're timeless. Were the first two seasons that great? Not really, but the later seasons were awesome for a while. Nowadays I can't even try watching it because it's lost it's originality and umph. I know tons of people who hate all 80s shows, and only like all shows that came out after 2000, but I like all the old shows from the 80s and 90s. I grew up with that, and while some are really cheesy, they're still enjoyable and nostalgic to watch.

A better way to have put it is it's not the quantity, it's the quality. I'll use paint as an example. If you use the cheapest paint to do your house, chances are it's going to be really watery, the coverage won't be that good (ie you'll be doing multiple coats), it might not stick that well, it doesn't wash worth a damn (ie it comes off or it becomes shiny if you wash too hard), and after a few years it'll probably peel and you'll have to do it over again after 1-2 years. All because you didn't want to spend more than $20 after taxes. Now take something that's going to cost you double that, and is rated #1 in the country. It won't be nearly as watery, it'll probably have primer already in the can (2 in 1), there's no splatter because of the lessened amount of watery substance, the coverage allows you to go over any colour, it'll stick to even oily and shiny surfaces and drywall, you can wash it and scrub it all you want and it won't come off unless you're trying to, and has a lifetime guarantee (ie it'll last as long as you live in the house) so you'll probably only do it once every 25 years.

Can you guess what I do for a living?  :sh

Anyways, I get what you were trying to say though. If they've only ever DMed or played crappy games, and are used to this because they've been subjected to it for so many years, it doesn't really help. I get that. But I'll never know because I wasn't there for those games. I just have to trust that their outbursts means that they don't agree with everything that gets done, but tolerate it regardless.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.

Can you guess what I do for a living? 

paint houses?

anyways, my only ever "bad dm" encounter (which was simultaneous with my single "bad group" encounter) was a group that had been playing DnD for over 10 years together. and yet, they knew nothing about how to play the damn thing. they think wizards are for fireballing, and that clerics are so weak that they houseruled them to cast spontaneously.

the nale quote is correct. it isn't the time, it's the mileage.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Have you asked the DM "Can I just play what I want to play?"?

I think that's the important thing. If the DM doesn't know, then the problem might as well not exist. If the DM still knows and goes "No. You play what I tell you to play, no exceptions" even after knowing that you want to play something entirely different, then you need to go elsewhere because it will not get better, Period.

Maybe you can compromise. If you really, really want to play something with the DM, let it know that. If the DM still wants to pile LA on you, then you need to leave. But first you should try "No, I'm a player, I get to choose what I want to play. That's why my title is "Player" and yours is "Dungeon Master". Guess what your domain is. End of discussion." He might back down. If he doesn't, stop playing. Because then he's just being a straight up jerk and not letting you play unless you play it "his way".
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
I've already done the highway thing. It's a lonely road that leads to nowhere.

I've already brought it up to the DM that given the LA, I have no idea what I could possibly play. He said to keep pondering away, but made the suggestion that I should really look at the psionics because that'd be a good idea. Hence why I considered the Lurker. However, with that much INT coming my way, a Swashbuckler 3/Factotum 3/Human Paragon 3 looks really good right about now. I have no idea what I'd do after that though. Maybe Fighter, or something. Depends on how many levels I have left.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
player's Guide to kalamar has a divine feat that let's you make a no-save touch attack to put someone to sleep for 10 minutes

Spellfire is purely con based

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
player's Guide to kalamar has a divine feat that let's you make a no-save touch attack to put someone to sleep for 10 minutes

Spellfire is purely con based
Is that a d20 3.5 compatible book?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Yeah, it's officially licensed.  Has a big dungeons and dragons logo right on the front cover
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.