Author Topic: The Weapon  (Read 8531 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
The Weapon
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
The concept, a weapon that every time it is drawn from the scabard, there is a roll on an epic chart to see which weapon emerges, or on a bad roll, improvised weapon, or odd object (spoon, rowboat,  5 foot diameter metal sphere)

Useful for the task: A large database of every single bog standard medium master work melee weapon avalible in 3.5, catagorized by simple, martial, exodic, and light, onehanded, and twohanded.

What has been discussed
Q 123: Is there a more complete masterlist of melee weapons than crystal keep?

One of my players is getting uppity about low loot count so I'm making an involentary shape shifting weapon and would like something more epic than a D% random weapon table from some book.
Roll 3d10

Go to that page in an appropriate reference book (A&E Guide, MiC, whatever).

Pick the first weapon or appropriate item that you see when you look at that page  :D
I want a weapon that will be a different weapon each time it's drawn from the scabbard, with no input from the player... also I want things like Oar, Spoon, TowerSheild and Row boat on there randomly.
two things:
1) yeah, you are going to have to make that table yourself.
2) when you do, I want the damn thing. this is epic. "aha villain! fear the power of my mighty.... *oof* ....ROWBOAT??!?"
1) I'm planning on it.
2) I'll post it one of these boards when I've got it done.

But before that I need a really large list of weaponry... I'm planning on this being a 2d20 chart, or larger.

do you want each item to have the same chance of sucess, or do you want the more common types of items to occur more frequently?  the reason I ask, is because the more dice you use in a roll, the smaller the standard deviation becomes. for instance, if you have two types, where one is 1d100, reroll 1-5, and the other is 5d20, the median numbers will be far more likely than the outlying ones. I suggest using a d100 if you want the chance to be perfectly even, because then you can scale it downwards if need be(halve the die for 50 options, divide by four for 25 options, ect.).  if you want it to be truely chaotic, however, use the 5d20 method and do not give your players the chart. make the middle numbers all the logical weapons, and have the more and more obtuse items be further outlying.  for instance, 47 would be a "spiked chain", while 100 would be a "throwing, returning gaint squid".  this makes the item feel more chaotic, as not everything has the same chance of happening.  it also prevents the gag from becoming stale, as it tends to when everything has the same chance.

Actually, I was thinking, for 2d20, there would be a list of 400 items numbered (1,1)...(1,20) (2,1)...(20,20)
But the idea of using the bell curve, that's interesting...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: The Weapon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:23 PM »
I definitely vote for the bell-curve. it will take a looong time for the PCs to realize the full extent of sillyness possible.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
Are you asking for help finding weapons? It would be nice to know if which, if any sources are not allowed.

I'd personally suggest the possibilities that no weapon would appear (wielder is stuck with whatever the weapon is when unchanged) or an immortal baby.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
Are you asking for help finding weapons? It would be nice to know if which, if any sources are not allowed.

I'd personally suggest the possibilities that no weapon would appear (wielder is stuck with whatever the weapon is when unchanged) or an immortal baby.
that is awesome. of course, do not just TELL the PCs that the baby is immortal.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all

I'm not sure how complete this is compared to crystalkeep. Also you're probably going to have to go through all the newer books manually.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »
Indeed, plus calculating the statistics of a oar, or a barstool...

As for know the know weapon idea, then the players would get the hilt and nothing else... but the immortal baby seems sillier and stupid... what's the crit range on a baby?

As for finding weapons, any masterwork quality melee (Ranged yes, thrown no) weapon for DnD published by wizards of the coasts should be a wide enough net.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:47:31 AM »
There are generic improvised weapons rules in Complete Warrior pg158

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:26 PM »
make a 1-use hand cannon part of it, but make it more unlikely than the baby.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
Where could I find a hand cannon?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure you would have to make it up, along with the melee stats for the baby and the rowboat. 3d10 18-20/x3 if you want it to be both super rare and super powerful, for instance.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
Are you kidding right, the row boat will be too heavy to weild, or sometimes lift it off who ever drew it from the scabard.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
Are you kidding right, the row boat will be too heavy to weild, or sometimes lift it off who ever drew it from the scabard.
well, you have to keep in mind, your omniweapon is just begging to be used by a warhulk/hulkinghurler/bloodstorm blade/iaijutsu master, somehow.

"I make a full attack from 30 ft away. he gets hit by..... *rolls dice* a baby, a nunchaku, a rowboat, and a billy goat."

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
well, you have to keep in mind, your omniweapon is just begging to be used by a warhulk/hulkinghurler/bloodstorm blade/iaijutsu master, somehow.

"I make a full attack from 30 ft away. he gets hit by..... *rolls dice* a baby, a nunchaku, a rowboat, and a billy goat."
First, the weapon doesn't change on every attack, it's different every round, Second, everything you listed is exodic and all but one is improvised.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »

First, the weapon doesn't change on every attack, it's different every round, Second, everything you listed is exodic and all but one is improvised.
I did mention iaijutsu in there, didn't I?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
true, but this isn't a minmaxers weapon... this is a weapon to give to PCs complaining about a lack of magic items.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »
true, but this isn't a minmaxers weapon... this is a weapon to give to PCs complaining about a lack of magic items.
I know, but you should be aware that your PC's will figure out at least one way to do crazy shenanigans with it. not really a problem, but will end in hilarity.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
I know, but you should be aware that your PC's will figure out at least one way to do crazy shenanigans with it. not really a problem, but will end in hilarity.
I know, like dipping into that PrC that lets you roll twice on a chart and pick the best...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
Definitely include etherblades (effectively stargate jaffa staffs, FF), and the "modern weaponry" from the DMG.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
Have you considered making just tables of pure mechanical traits and then adding fluff to whatever comes out?  Like roll for damage (from 1d3 to 2d6), crit type (18-20/x2 to 20/x2 to 20/x4), and damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, or roll again and add types together).  Of course that doesn't account for special properties like reach or tripping ability, but you could get a lot of "weapons" out of it and then explain that the 1d3 20/x2 bludgeoner weapon you just drew was a rat-flail, while your 2d6 18-20/x2 was swinging around a piano.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »
I would suggest the weapon stay the same from round to round, just have it change whenever it's drawn.  That way the players aren't attacking with a Greatsword only to suddenly have it swap to a crossbow when they're in melee range.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.