Author Topic: Introducing a Brand New Player  (Read 1493 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Introducing a Brand New Player
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »
And I mean absolutely green to all things RPG short of the Pokemon and Lunar games she played as a kid. I think she dabbled in the FF games at some point as well. It wasn't until I told her that this was essentially like a "choose your own adventure" with dice that she finally decided to give it a go. Her argument was that no DM/GM could possibly make an adventure that was as good as any movie or book. IE that just because you're a DM or GM, it does not make you a good storyteller. True, but then again the same goes for novelists. Just look at Twilight. :ninja

Anyways, she'd like to give it a go, and I'd like to help her. The problem is that the only characters she's willing to play right now are characters from her soon to be published novel found at http://fallen-story.livejournal.com/

Now, that's not a problem. I've read what she's got there, and I know what each of the characters are capable of. The problem is emulating them into D&D. The main two characters that she'd likely play are Arma the monstrous strengthed red head who weilds an invisible broadsword and looks like a boy (also has accelerated healing/fast healing and ability to use any weapon), and Lamia the beautiful roguish illusionist who's mental powers are so strong she can actually heal you (just a little). Her main ability is to actually mentally transmit images into your head, so this ability even affects the blind. The others are kind of easy. They'd all be domain wizards (earth, fire, water, air, lightning) with a few ranger spells (longstrider, endure elements, deep breath, jump, etc). Well, except the epic level guy who controls all time itself, and wields a scythe.

All of them also wear gladiator armour, not unlike Xena. However, each one has their own design to differentiate them from each other.

So I'm not exactly being given an easy task here. You may have seen my questions on the "Ask a Simple Question" thread regarding psionic abilities healing minor wounds. I can't think for the life of me how I'm going to pull this off.

Arma's not hard. She's literally the tank of the group. She's also the leader. I was thinking a fighter (armored mage)/transmuter/eldritch knight because of her incredible strength, and ability to manipulate her own form into becoming stronger. I was thinking warblade, but that's a bit much for someone just starting out with this game. I would make the warblade's affinity for changing weapons out a bonus feat though. If I could somehow give her the War domain as well, that'd be perfect.

Lamia's the hard one. She's a stealthy rogue, an illusionist, a low level psionic telepath, able to fight unarmed, a quick witted charmer, an expert at disguises, and a low level healer. How the heck do you make that up? Maybe a factotum? I think that'd be pushing it. I originally thought beguiler because of their spells, but no healing spells there, and not a lot of it fits, but then again it also does too. Beguiler's kind of roguish.

Anyone wants to take a crack at that one?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:15:40 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Introducing a Brand New Player
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:17:38 AM »
Lamia seems like a shoe-in for unseelie fey, actually.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:44 AM »
Beguiler with Arcane Disciple: Healing is the non-cheesy answer to your conundrum.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:20:12 AM »
Lamia seems like a shoe-in for unseelie fey, actually.
Isn't that a race? I should mention that everyone's a human in her story. Well, supposed to be. I know what happens in the later chapters she writes, including one that takes place years ago.

Beguiler with Arcane Disciple: Healing is the non-cheesy answer to your conundrum.
I didn't know you could do that.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I thought Arcane Disciple was something else for a second there. Yup, I agree with that idea.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:24:48 AM by kevin_video »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:28:24 AM »
And I just messed up. I said Arma could be a fighter/wizard/eldritch knight. I was wrong. Wow, I was wrong. I got reminded that Arma's as dumb as a post. She's got fighting experience, and wisdom for that kind of thing, but smarts she does not have. I guess if there's a flaw that makes her absolutely vacant, naive, unobservant to social things, etc, that could balance it out. Otherwise, she's got a low INT (maybe 11 at the absolute most).

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »
Vacant, naive and unobservant (Especially to social things) seems to be more of a low wisdom and charisma than low int.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:25 AM »
Vacant, naive and unobservant (Especially to social things) seems to be more of a low wisdom and charisma than low int.
However, she's loved and respected by everyone, and has tons of friends. She's got her own form of charisma, and makes women want her. lol Probably because she looks really handsome, for a girl. Imagine that. In one chapter, Arma even won 1st place at a bachelor auction that Lamia secretly set her up in.

I thinking sorcerer now. Just memorize all the transmutation spells.

EDIT: Someone suggested Duskblade instead of going the fighter/wizard/eldritch knight route.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:26:55 AM by kevin_video »