Author Topic: Invitation to the Mountains  (Read 28384 times)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: Invitation to the Mountains
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:25 AM »
[spoiler]I have two arms, so one on each side. My carrying effective strength is 30, so a 532 lb light load (the 2 lbs there makes all the difference...), and I have a 10 lb sword. So assuming the worst, I could at lowest probably still lift 200 lbs on each arm, and each of you is a lightweight. That's the good news; bad news is I'm only capable of running at 10 mph.... that was weird to type...

Oh, and I can fly at that same speed, so either way, we're set.  :D[/spoiler]
As if a step ahead of her, Rinzen comes into the group's circle, completing it's fourth side, and puts an arm on each of the two boy's shoulders. Pulling them suddenly close, he loops an arm around each waist, and picks them bodily up without effort. "I will try to keep up with you, Miss Yayoi. Lead the way at around 10 mph..." With that, he crouches only slightly, and starts off at a run just behind Kagura.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
"Then, let us go." With a nod, Kagura takes off, her uniform fluttering as though she were surrounded by wind. At first, she goes a little too fast before she slows down to better accomodate Rinzen's pace.

[spoiler]All right, let's go!
I dunno if there's also difficult terrain (undergrowth) that'll halve our movement back to 5 mph... probably. Kagura wouldn't care, but Rinzen would.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
[spoiler]Gotta beg your pardon, plenty of emergencies and deadlines that would delay this game till around the weekend. Sorry about that.[/spoiler]
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:03 AM »
[spoiler]
I dunno if there's also difficult terrain (undergrowth) that'll halve our movement back to 5 mph... probably. Kagura wouldn't care, but Rinzen would.
No he wouldn't; I have 10 mph fly speed too.  :D[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:54:32 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
As the party moves up the mountain, navigated by the magical map scroll. Kagura and any other member of the team notices this strange phenomenon: The magical boulders dotting the pathway as navigational markers remain exactly where the map indicates, but other geographical features and plant-life do not occur at the spot where the map indicated. A tree here might not show up on a map, and a bare patch of ground used to have a tree.

Not soon after this revelation as the party approaches a clearing. The smell of ozone seems stronger at this large patch of open flat ground, and the lightning-filled clouds continue to dance.

There is a presence here, either through smell, hearing or just plain gut feeling.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »
Kagura slows down as the group approaches the clearing before stopping at its edge. Her eyes move around the clearing, then she wordlessly glances back at the group before advancing as if nothing had happened, though slower and more carefully. She gazes only straight ahead, to the other end of the clearing, her sword held by its sheath in her left hand, doesn't place her other hand on its hilt or enter any visible stance, but she keeps her ears sharp for the presence she feels.

[spoiler]Notice (1d20+10=13)
Yeah, I get it, Kagura is blind and deaf. :P[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
As soon as Kagura drops her speed, Rinzen drops the two he was carrying, somewhat suddenly but not entirely unceremoniously. More without thought. "So we fell through a hole, an suddenly, the only thing consistent is the magical markers? One would have thought we'd hopped planes. Is this what the mountain swallowing folk feels like?" The warrior, one hand rested on the hilt of his long sword so that the rest of the sheathe trails behind him like a tail, seems entertained by the notion. The groups generally unsettled, cautious demeanor seems to irk him a bit though; this isn't a stealth mission, and he knows it. A part of him wants to simply project Ushitora out to frighten away the weak things in this place - and hopefully attract the things not so easily scared. Instead of so brazen an act in unknown turf, Rinzen approaches Kagura. In a much softer, lower tone, he proposes, "If we're her to do harm, why not do so obviously? We both know there's something here, right? Can't you feel that?"

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
The smell of ozone is now accompanied by a subtle tang of sea breeze.

[spoiler]Will wait for the others to post too before I move in.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
Ayu brusquely picks himself up off the ground, and shoots Rinzen an awkward glare -- it's unclear if it is intended to convey gratitude, or resentment.

[spoiler]Just posting to indicate presence. Will probably/hopefully post something more substantial tomorrow.[/spoiler]
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:18 AM »
Marko climbs to his feet wide eyed, but trying hard not to lose it. "So is this just an illusion over the real environment? Or are the spirits reshaping the area. Please tell me we're not drifting dimensionally. I don't ... ". He swallows rather than complete the thought.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
"Because we are not here to do harm. We are here to prevent harm from being done, Uramote-san." She motions with her free hand for the group to calm down and starts advancing into the clearing slowly, her sandals barely making a noise in the grass. "If the presence chooses to reveal itself, it will. If not, we will have to try revealing it. Either way, making use of as little force as possible is to be preferred."

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »
Rinzen gives a sharp look of disapproval, as if looking upon some naivety. Looking back on the two guys, he asks impatiently, "have either of you a way of forcing it out into the open?" Internally, the beast of the blade spoke to Rinzen, as impatient as he was and probably holding more than enough influence on his attitude. It spoke sharply, as if desperate to prevent a mistake. "Preventing harm with demons is not so different from causing harm, trust me, Boy. Besides, you could get rid of the illusory environment, if it indeed is, but by opening me, you'd be damning them all to bedlam and battle anyway. Might as well bite the bullet, get that woman into action for christs sake!" Rinzen gritted his teeth, trying to ignore the damned demon's taunting, even if he knew, in an odd way, the demon's words made sense. Usually, it was spoken with much more malice; Ushitora wasn't exactly a great politician, he generally spoke only his desires, but this time, he was using his timeless wisdom. It scared Rinzen just slightly.

It was right. He could get rid of any illusions or concealment, with his (least favorite) spell, but if that thing caught wind of Ushitora... if it was looking for prey... it would get ugly fast...

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »
At Rinzen's question, Ayu begins rifling through his pins.

"Ice Risers...Local Fire...Velocity Tackle...no. No dice, Rinzen-san. I guess if I can't already see it, I can't do much about it..."

Once again bereft of anything productive to do, Ayu takes to scuffing the grass. At the same time, he makes a mental note: learn how to do something besides beat stuff up. Helps with boredom. At least he had a team to rely on for his shortcomings -- or did having someone there to witness them make the situation that much worse? People were so hard to judge.
Hoping to take his mind off that rather depressing train of thought, Ayu started surveying the immediate surroundings. That presence had to be nearby; the entire group was on edge. Hopefully it would leave soon...or better yet, attack.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »
Marko's eyes shift uneasily back and forth between Rinzen and Kagura. Then with a slightly different sort of discomfort between Kagura and Maiko. Not really addressing anyone in particular, although vaguely facing Maiko, Marko mutters, "I ... I could open a breach .. to null space. Like ... um ... like I did before, that brought me back from the other dimension we got pulled into. Its probably pretty harmful to spirits. At least the way I used it before. But I could just drain off the ... I guess you'd call it the paranormal ... energy of the area, without effecting anyone's ... um ... spiritual energy or body. Does that  ... uh, make sense?"

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »
Rinzen's teeth stop grinding against one another, and a surprised smile comes across his face. "That sounds absolutely remarkable, Marko. You should speak up quicker next time, I say go for it if you think you can drain it off of us!" His clutch on his sword loosening a bit as well, the ogre inside him seems to have calmed down... it worried him that Ushitora was so ready to hold back and observe, when usually he wants only to be crushing and destroying. This could be a very interesting mission.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:35 AM »
The sea-breeze bearing mist gathers together at the center of the clearing, turning whiter and less airy as it turns into the form of an eel...or dragon...or dragon eel... and it rears itself up.

"Leave..." comes the voice that resembles the pounding surf.

[spoiler]Maiko isn't with you guys anymore just a reminder.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2010, 01:26:27 AM »
Though he brightens at the encouragement, Marko shuts down again when Rinzen suggests going ahead. He looks to Kagura, then starts to look back to Rinzen. The kid seems almost relieved when the dragon eel appears. "This is probably a stupid time to bring this up. But I'm kinda not sure about how the ... I mean the chain of command was always clear when I was under UNSMED proper."

Marko half cringes, obviously afraid that he's offended one or more of his teachers.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
"Right now, there is now such thing as a chain of command. Technically, I am not even the teacher here. Now shh." Kagura draws a deep breath, then slowly expels it through her nose. She really doesn't want the situation to escalate, not only because she didn't sleep well, but the signs strongly suggest that it will. She steps forward to do her job as a miko, and talks to the being calmly, politely, and firmly. "No. We are here to investigate the recent happenings in this mountain - like your appearance. Please allow us to pass and move on to the summit." Of course, if this creature is indeed a symptom of the problem they're investigating, it's unlikely it will let them do just that...

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
"We is like all spiritual phenomena, we appear and goes as we wills..." comes the attempted sibilant reply. At this stage Kagura is clearly aware that this isn't a native phenomena, because dragon eels are clearly from the sea. However, her brief memory did inform her that there were plenty of snake murals and pictographs dorning the ruins of this mountain. Perhaps a connection is there, or maybe not.

"Leave....leave us to our works. Or we will be angry."

[spoiler] Anyone with super hearing will automatically notice rustling of grass, as if movement is going on around the bushes and trees further head behind the misty appartition.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:37:02 PM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 04:08:49 AM »
For a long while, as Kagura acted and Marko noted himself, Rinzen stood motionless, pondering, taking in the image. That was where the smell came from, obviously... a sea dragon, scent of sea, maybe it wasn't so peculiarly illusion-based after all. Either way, there was a threat within the mountain region they were sent to investigate, and this creature or illusion was attempting to force them to  abandon the mission. Kagura was the diplomat, and fittingly so, but he was sent as well. And he did come.

Stepping forward slowly and patiently, Rinzen interrupted it at the last syllable of it's threat. "-it is not our intent or wish that anything in this place should be angered, and indeed we come to make assurance of peace. Whatever your works are, you may return to them," the mocking tone of allowance was fully intended, as he proceeded, breaking only to mutter something inaudible to all but Kagura in passing, "... and thus leave us to our own work.

"Do so now, or we will be angered. We, spirit of many, are like all physical phenomenon; we appear and go as we will. And by that will, we may burn this fog away, slay your sustaining forms, and lay waste to resistance placed against us. If you are trying to protect this place, you are our ally, and thus do we urge you to include us in your works, as our goals are the same.

"If you are an enemy of this place..... well, then this talk is through. Leave, or we will kill you. Now, choose from those choices we have granted you."

He stopped about three feet from the head of the mist-form being, hand on his sword-hilt and Ushitora smiling a psychic smile of combat felt coming. Though he was barely proficient at sensing them yet, Rinzen tried to suppress any murderous intent he or his sword might be leaking; breathing deeply as he spoke his words, he prayed that his lessons with the Master would help him here, a place just as he was looking for. But Ushitora only laughed and pushed out some will, and Rinzen's aura, of mixed good and evil, both adamant and serious of their claim to intent, was laid out among all those in a near area to him. All the same, he relied on his serious, unflinching demeanor to assist him; he had no way of knowing if he could even strike the form, much less lay waste to it. But he did not flinch, never let up, stared it down, and if nothing else, he could flash-strike it.

Had to get the ball moving on this damn job.

*muttered to Kagura in passing:
[spoiler]"I'm sorry Miss Yayoi, I should have more clearly informed you, but I was not sent here as a diplomat. Honestly, all apologies."[/spoiler]

Skills used in this post:
[spoiler]Sense Motive for hostile/murderous intent: 12
Knowledge Cosmology (to try and identify the spirit, or lack thereof): 19
Intimidate: 9
Diplomacy ( :lmao): 4
Bluff (Help me baby jesus!): 28

So, screwed my diplomacy and intimidate, but hopefully it believes my conviction, and maybe I can identify it.

Used Fearsome Presence, anyone within 25 feet may be shaken (DC 15), escalates by failure.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:22:58 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »