Author Topic: Invitation to the Mountains  (Read 28537 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Invitation to the Mountains
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
"It isn't. This is the same kind of magic as was used in the basement of the Kisaragi Dojo. Ah... weren't there. Well, this is just magic to make the inside larger than the putside. It was necessary to house the massive seal... although I did not think it would be an entire building." Slowly, the miko steps forward until she is standing right on front of the door and next to the pedestal. "It's covered in dust... unless the child can go through walls, it seems like we are here first." But then why is it that she seems to remember seeing someone come in before them?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »
[spoiler]Anyone with Spot higher than 15 notices bare foot prints the size of a small Medium creature through the door.

Anyone with Spot higher than 18 notices that some dusty parts of the door seem less dusty.

Anyone with Spot higher than 22 notices the ferro-liquid-like heavy liquid rippling slightly.[/spoiler]
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2010, 02:15:55 AM »
Mira experimentally prods the door, "Doesn't look like anyone's around."

OOC:
Heinrich and Mira's Notice (1d20+10=13, 1d20+4=16)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »
Even as he speaks, its hard to keep one's eyes on Marko. In the same way that the mind, while meditating, fights to dart from one thought to the next, rather than remain focused on a single object, attention that would normally be focused on the boy slips to anywhere else. Yet still, like something bubbling up from the subconscious, his words reach the others. "I ... I think someone went through the door recently. Some of the dust on it has been disturbed. And there's the footprints leading up to it. So I guess we are going the right way? I was worried, um, since the symbol above the cave didn't match the ... 'real' symbol. But, I really don't understand how any of this is supposed to work."

[spoiler]Notice check (1d20+12=19), Stealth check (1d20+15=33)[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
Ayu's eyes followed Marko's gaze. Or rather, they sort of slipped off in the direction of the door when he tried to look at the shy one; he had suddenly become rather difficult to look directly at. Nodding in affirmation of Marko's observation, Ayu decided not to let Marko's withdrawn nature get the better of him and tried once again to fix his gaze on the other boy. This time, he wound up looking at the stone basin of the strange liquid. The strange liquid . . . doing strange things.

"Does anyone else whatever that stuff is in the bowl over there doing . . . whatever it's doing? That can't be good, right?"

Ayu's stare was now transfixed on the slowly rippling tub of unknown contents.

[spoiler]Notice: 1d20+13=30[/spoiler]
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
Notice: 19, though with announcing results, I'm not sure why it matters.  :lol Oh well, he picked up the smudges and footprints.

For a while, Rinzen's eyes were attached to the floor, following footsteps and smudges in the door. He wasn't really paying attention until Marko said something about the liquid, at which point he looked up, to see Ayu standing over it. Quickly, he stepped over to the footprints, and oddly enough, sniffed them. After trying to gain a scent, he smelled the air in the room, trying to determine if there was a hiding figure somewhere nearby... his thoughts were on the liquid, but he wanted to see about it first. The sword-steadying hand popped the sword just out of the lock, in case he needed to draw more quickly than normal. While he smelled, he tried to follow the footprints in the room.
[spoiler]
No idea what, if any, roll would be needed to track footprints in this undisturbed location... Can I just take 20 on a notice check?

Using scent to try and pick up the girls smell, and thus be able to identify her presence. I can't pinpoint locations, though I can make decent educated bets about oddities if I can tell she's around.

Really need to put some points in to make that accurate...[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2010, 12:14:22 AM »
[spoiler]"Using scent to try and pick up the girls smell" taken out of context is so...  :lmao[/spoiler]

Rinzen's keen sense of smell does pick up a certain oddity, the air in this cave, with the help of that huge cave entrance and equally wide tunnel, is as fresh as any mountain air of that elevation.

However the door seems to emanate an even tangier and sharper scent of freshness that only really good air conditioners or magic can produce. The energetic hum of the entire building has given an odd vibrational quality to the air, and a good area before the door, and the pedestal too, seems to have more of it.

A good conclusion is that the door opened very recently and some of that energy came out, just like how a person feels a blast of good cool air by opening the door of a fridge.

The puddle of strange liquid. (Best example) just ripples there.

The footprints, carry with it a subtle tang of the ocean, just like the smell it is with Xiao Qing, except faint.

The footprints disappeared past the door. Someone's been through it only recently.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
"Thats odd." Mira pokes the liquid with a finger.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
The liquid ripples faster with a poke, and a strange "boin" sort of feeling that Mira felt. Her finger though is still dry.

The door seems to hum a smidge louder when Mira poked the liquid, but goes away as soon as the finger is off.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
Mira checks her finger, "Looks safe enough."

Then she sticks her hand into the liquid proper.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »
The liquid, strange that it is, feels neither warm, nor does it feel cool. If anything can be said, it feels...neutral.

The pedestal glows after a second as the door gradually hums louder.

"Mira du Vaul...hmmm...you wish to enter?" comes this booming voice reverberating from no particular source, and not too loud too (thankfully)

The door glows as it turns transparent and the image of a series of symbols appears in a circle. Below the symbols comes the words translated automatically.

Heaven
Lake
Fire
Thunder
Wind
Water
Mountain
Earth

"Which door would you like to enter through?" asks the door. The gender of the voice seems male.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
"Um, which door did she go through...Heaven, Wind or Lake?"
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
"She? Who's she? Oh...right...forgot to tell you. I only allow 1 question before your choice is finalized. Is that your question?"
[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Mira stops with her mouth half open for a while, thinking of the best question to ask, "Whats the fastest way to catch up with the last girl who went through the door?"
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »
Mira stops with her mouth half open for a while, thinking of the best question to ask, "Whats the fastest way to catch up with the last girl who went through the door?"
Rinzen cringes for a second. It was really the best tactical move, but these spell things have an odd tendency to, like the tengu, answer things deceitfully without lying, and not explaining what they mean before one has to make a decision.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:52 PM »
"Paying a huge personal cost as a gift allowed the previous person to bypass me the quickest." comes the intoned reply.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »
A bit of a smirk on his face, Rinzen turns to the group at large. "So, if it's anyone's guess, who wants to take which path? I suppose we could all go down our own paths, which means at least one of us might make it there fastest. I mean, have we any way of knowing what this persons power level is? And if she's paid a high cost, she will not necessarily be at her best. Though, also not necessarily any worse. We still need to catch her, unless anyone's got something to give up." Internally, the demon muttered 'Don't you even think about it...'

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
"He never said anything about what the gift was...maybe we can offer something of similar value?"
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
Remaining silent, Kagura just stares at the door. She can think of many things to give up, but none of them is something she wants to give up - well, but that is the point. Scolding herself for her selfishness, the miko quietly concentrates on herself and again, the colors of her eyes are inverted as she tries to pick up the past on her own.

[spoiler]Giving Postcognition another try. I'm not sure if it's going to work given how vague the last time's results were even with a 20+ Notice check, but here you go.

Concentration, Notice (1d20+10=14, 1d20+10=18)[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »
As Kagura closes her eyes and attempts the psychic tracing of the past, the following image hits her clear and sharp.

@Kagura
[spoiler]

(Exact look, no shoes.)

The girl, who looks no older than 12 (though youkai age differently technically) stands before the door with her hand inside the pedestal, which surprisingly lowered itself to account for her hide.

"What would you give for a gift?"

The girl, thinking for a moment, upon a few seconds she actually quivered a little, of anger perhaps, or was it deep shame?

"I shall give you a gift of dignity. Summon up the denizens of the mountain." comes the quivering reply.

A sound that resembles the clearing of a throat echoes as the place darknes a little where beady pairs of red eyes (and any other colors) begin to dot around the entire cave, with the sole beam of light shining down upon the girl like a spotlight.

Blushing very very deeply in a sharp crimson and trembling nearly like being hit with twenty tasers at once, the little girl begins to...remove her panties.

Holding it up, she places it on the pedestal where the strange liquid absorbs the fabric without nary a sound, or perhaps it got drowned out by all the loud catcalls and whistling.

And a huge hissing sound issues as the cave itself shudders in rage. The little girl's eyes go wide as her mouth opens slightly in shock and disbelief.

"Your...mother had to see it too, dignity is a worthy price to pay when people close get to experience its lost. Surely you understand the logic of that..." comes the slightly soothing response.

The little girl grits her teeth as she tries to hold back her tears, her fists clenched so hard they turned white.

"Is that price paid?" asks the girl, showing quite alot of mental strength at this act.

As if by reply, the door shimmers brighter as if allowing passage, where the girl walks through.[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]