Author Topic: How would you handle the Immortal Rules Spheres of Immortality?  (Read 2889 times)

Agrippa

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
How would you handle the Immortal Rules Spheres of Immortality?
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:40 AM »
In D&D's BECMI rules (Basic, Expert, Campanion, Master and Immortal) there were five spheres of godhood or Immortality. They were energy, time (for lack of a better name), matter, thought and entropy. One of the basic premises was that mortal characters could advance no further than 36th level in their class. But they could embark upon a quest that allowed them to achive godhood, thus advancing another 36 levels. Note that the favored class means one class or two classes that leads best into that sphere. So good people of this forum, how would you handle these five Spheres and more interestingly, what would you rename Time.

Energy: Fire, lightning, nuclear fission and fussion and optics. Favored class magic-user (now wizard, sorcerer, psion, wilder and erudite with warmage and warlock as potential additions).

Change: Life, growth, change and mutation. The very stuff of healing, positive physical augmentation and purity. Favored classes cleric and druid (now includes psion (egoist), wilder, ardent, psychic warrior, spirit shaman, paladin, archivist, healer, crusader and sujena (sic)).

Matter: Battle, construction, iron, stability and the vey earth its self. Favored class fighter (now rogue and monk plus psychic warrior, ranger, paladin, crusader, warblade and barbarian).

Thought: Cunning and intellect with good reasoning skills. Favored classes thief and mystic (now rogue and monk plus psychic warrior, archivist, swordsage, bard, all shadowcasters, truenamers, psion (telepath or seer), erudite and wizard, perhaps even beguiler).

Entropy: Every thing from death, destruction and decay to just wanting to see the world burn. Favored class any (could be changed to dread necromancer and warlock).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:46:25 PM by Agrippa »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: How would you handle the Immortal Rules Spheres of Immortality?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by how to handle the rest, but Time is simply Change, without change, time is irrelevant, the passage of time is simply marking down the changes that have happened since the previous state.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agrippa

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
Just changed it veekee ;). Oh, and by handle I meant what sort of powers and atributes would you allot to each Sphere. Also, what quests and tasks would you suggest for ascending to them?

Agrippa

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »
To start things let's have some rules for ascending to five Spheres. I'm already working on Matter

Energy:

Prerequisites:
Quest:
Task:

Change:

Prerequisites:
Quest:
Task:

Matter: The Path of The Master Builder

Prerequisites: Strength and Constitution 25 plus either 25 initator levels and up to 9th level Stone Dragon Maneuvers, 25 arcane or divine casting levels and 9th Conjuring (Creation) and Transmutation or 25 manifestor levels and 9th level Psychometabolism and Metacreativaty.
Quest: Must track down 15 earth elementals (or outsiders with the earth subtype) with a CR of at least 16 of whom 3 must at least have a Challenge Rating of 25. You must then challenge each one of them to individual combat, which of course precludes summoning spells by either side. The battle is not to the death, but is instead a submission match. To win either the divine aspirant or elemental must reduce his or opponent's hit point total to 25% or less. If the aspirant looses he or she must wait a year to challenge the same elemental.
Task: To achieve godhood on the Path of the Master Builder you must build a large structure of at least a mile in length, a quarter mile in width and two hundred feet high. While you may hire laborers to work on the construction project a good portion of the actual building, at least 35% of it, must be partaken by both you and the elementals you defeated and bound to your service. This said, your new building must be habitable and structurally sound.

Thought:

Prerequisites:
Quest:
Task:

Entropy:

Prerequisites:
Quest:
Task:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:43:23 PM by Agrippa »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »
Hmm.... both quest and task seem to require GM cooperation a lot. How about making them so that you don't need that?

Agrippa

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
First, attaining godhood under this system is supposed to be difficult. Second, if no DM and player cooperation is required why have a DM in the first place? Isn't part of his or her job to act as referee. What do you want exactly?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »
First, attaining godhood under this system is supposed to be difficult. Second, if no DM and player cooperation is required why have a DM in the first place? Isn't part of his or her job to act as referee. What do you want exactly?
WELL, while certainly player/DM interaction is always necessary, there is much to be said for making player advancement largely independant of DM good will. Making things hard is fine, but requiring the GM to construct everything so that you can advance quite often means you'll have to find a way to get in his good books. That shouldn't be necessary.

Good GM/Player interaction works by an agreement on the same rules, and that's basically it. Once you are there, and the rules are good, the GM should be able to do his thing, and the player his other thing, and it should work out. If you have to beg for this and that to advance, then those are not good rules.

Agrippa

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
Then explain exactly what you see wrong.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:12:57 AM »
Earth elementals are pansies.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agrippa

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »
Earth elementals are pansies.

Then take an elder earth elemental, advance it to thirty hit dice and give it Stone Dragon and Setting Sun maneuvers with an initiator level equal to its hit dice, the stances known and maneuvers both known and readied as a warblade 20 with swordsage-like recovery. Done, just like that. Now is that all Mad Linguist?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:21:11 AM »
Still has no easy way to deal with level-appropriate PCs.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agrippa

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:35 AM »
Still has no easy way to deal with level-appropriate PCs.

Maybe give all earth elementals Fool's Grip as a warblade egual to their hit dice too. Besides, imagine some big, scary rock monster throwing stalagtites and stalagmites at you, then rushing in to pound your face in. I'd also double their land speed and give the improved initative. Make the Lightening Bruisers. Now its a fight.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
Then explain exactly what you see wrong.
Alright: The quest is so-so. It requires that the player build his character so that he can FIND these elementals, or else he will have to rely on GM cooperation to give them to him.

The task is pure metagaming. There aren't any relevant game mechanics for building large structures in D&D. So basically the player COULD just say "I roll Profession or Craft, and invest a million GP and spend a year building, and now I've got my building." And only DM fiat can stop him.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
The task is pure metagaming. There aren't any relevant game mechanics for building large structures in D&D. So basically the player COULD just say "I roll Profession or Craft, and invest a million GP and spend a year building, and now I've got my building." And only DM fiat can stop him.

Or "I have a +17 Perform (string instruments) modifier."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »

Or "I have a +17 Perform (string instruments) modifier."
Right, Warforged Bard or something stupid like that. It says you can use it once per week, but not for how long. How about you never stop??? Dystopia, here I come, the world will drown in fricking CONSTRUCTION! That's got to be good for a campaign: Stop the evil real-estate developers conquer the world with their indestructable buildings (while the lyre's are playing).

That's.... a remarkably weird item.