Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163379 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Fun Finds!
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »
Be it a favorite prestige class that is always forgotten, an amazing feat you find in Dragon Magazine, or even just a fun and silly feat in Sandstorm  ;), we've all found these I think. You read it and your first thought is, "Oh man I have to tell somebody about this XXX..." well, this is where you tell somebody.

Why Champions of Ruin is one of my favorite books:
[spoiler]
Best archery spells ever.
Arrowsplit turns an arrow into 1d4+1 arrows.
Shadow Arrow turns an arrow into 1d6 Str damage, no save.
Doublestrike Arrows lets every ranged attack count twice.

Thrall of Eltab PrC grants a Death Gaze as it's capstone. (20+Cha)DC Fortitude save or die, 30ft, never turns off, never become immune.

Hard to describe but Dendar the Night Serpent is one of the most intense monsters.

Kezef the Chaos Hound has perfect tracking. "...will never fail..." even across planes! He tracks by emotional scent!
Need to find somebody? Get one of these bitches.

Ever seen a (Ex) Destruction? Now you have. Ityak the Elf Eater. He even has DR 50/Epic and 40 tenaticle attacks with a 50ft range. [/spoiler]

Dragon 357
[spoiler]Living Spell based PrC that gets one as a Familiar! Page 77
Feat to stack Wu Jen and Ninja levels for Ki! Page 86
Feat to stack Wildshape and Skirmish progression! Page 86
Plant Animal Companion? These issue has everything! Page 90[/spoiler]

Dragon 316
[spoiler]Greater Knock? Yes! All locks within 20ft are open![/spoiler]

Dragon 320
[spoiler]Dwarves with an extra feat at level 1. Helll yesss.
Elves who lose a bunch to gain Weapon Focus for TWO of their racial proficiencies.
Gnomes who get Alertness in trade for a lot.
Halfling who get Dodge and ONE MORE FEAT for free at level 3. Must be Iron Will/Lightning Ref/Great Fort.
Humans who can trade skill points and feat for +2 to any ability score.

Page 85.[/spoiler]

Dragon 327
[spoiler]Option to spend more time crafting that Construct to remove Bezerk Mode.
And to add more arms.
And to add Int.
All page 72.[/spoiler]

Dragon 329
[spoiler]Swarm Familiars. Nuff said. Page 98[/spoiler]

Dragon 332
[spoiler]Stating out the process of turning dead dragons into boats. What can't WotC do? PAge 48
Eating Favored Enemies? There's a feat for that. Page 91 (Trophy Hunting)[/spoiler]

Dragon 336
[spoiler]Variant Stunning Fists including the elusive (Ex) Dispel Magic.[/spoiler]

Dragon 342
[spoiler]Human Barbarian 2/Cleric 1/Fighter 2/Monk 2/Paladin 2/Ranger 2/Rogue 2/Sorceorer 4/Assasin 1/Shadow Dancer 2

This is an example NPC[/spoiler]

EDIT MORE:
Dragon 345
[spoiler]Barbarian PrC that grants a Size category+ at the capstone. :-) @ base size Huge

Spend XP and Gold for really powerful Psicrystal abilities. Like Swift Action regaining focus or BFC.[/spoiler]

Dragon 350
[spoiler]Soulmelds that grant the Swarm type and all day Levitate![/spoiler]

Dragon 355
[spoiler]Arcane Factories. Including reducing Divination XP costs by 25% or 10% faster Construct building.[/spoiler]

EDIT more again:
Stuff I'm stealing from the Free DnD Handbook[spoiler]
Aleithian Dwarf +2 Con/+2 Int/ -4 Cha Sounds like a great wizard to me.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:24:32 AM by bearsarebrown »

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:32:34 AM »
Elf Disquise is "Oh man I have to tell somebody about this XXX..." for another reason. It is the worst spell I've seen. It's a disquise spell that doesn't prevent people from recognizing you, and doesn't provide a boost to disquise  ??? At least every cantrip I've seen actually DOES something.

Though at least Soul Charge has some uses. Vhaerath template also has no listed LA, so IIRC it defaults to +0, free outsider type (and martial weapon proficiency) for a lesser drow character? Don't mind if I do!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:38:42 AM by deuxhero »

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:58:06 AM »
I own the hard copy of D357 and I've pored through it. I don't see the immediate benefit(s) of some of the things you mention, e.g. Living Spell and Plant familiar(s). Then again, I trade away all my Familiars for immediately useful stuff, like Enhanced Shadow Reality à la School Mastery (Illusion).

re: Elf Disguise: cantrips are level-0 spells. Secondly, judging by the title, it's use is obvious. Though forsoothe, its limitation is not persistent nor is it easily ascertainable.

re: no listed LA: means unsuitable for a PC race. LA -- means the same.

One thing I learned from D357, Distracting Taunt skill trick, then combine with Rapscallion (D???) and Factotum. Another is Impromptu Metamagic + Heighten Spell.

I may have to check out that "Dispel Magic (Ex)" Stunning Fist variant from D336 for a Pugilist Swordsage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:11:23 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
re: Elf Disguise: cantrips are level-0 spells.

Uh? Exactly? Every single 0th level spell has an actual effect, this 1st level spell doesn't.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:23:00 AM »
re: Elf Disguise: cantrips are level-0 spells.

Uh? Exactly? Every single 0th level spell has an actual effect, this 1st level spell doesn't.
yeah, why is it the same spell level as disguise self? it's just disguise elf! you can't remove an important letter and keep it the same level! That's like making Rary's telepathetic bond a 4th level spell!
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
and it's not even a real disguise - you have to be an elf for it to make much sense, and people still recognize you as yourself easily - and it won't even help with height or body type.  Hours/level duration, true, but still an absolute garbage spell - it should be a cantrip frankly.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »
Chosen of tem-et-nu: probably the best feat known to man.  I mean, seriously.  Turn/rebuke hippos.

Now, I know what you're thinking - this is totally awesome. 
This guy:

Is a real life dragon.  Dangerous, but not nearly as deadly as this guy:

Mistling fey: tons of LA, but being able to create living spells is really fun.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:31:43 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
I own the hard copy of D357 and I've pored through it. I don't see the immediate benefit(s) of some of the things you mention, e.g. Living Spell and Plant familiar(s).

They aren't CO amazing. But they could be fun.
And the Plant is at least on par with other Animal Companions and offers a surprising amount of flexibility.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:01:36 PM by bearsarebrown »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:44 PM »
Oh, almost forgot one of my favorite creatures:

The Calzone Golem.

It has uncapped "temporarily gain AC when hit with magical fire".  Get a fiery burst reserve feat, and have fun with a 100 AC minion.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
I own the hard copy of D357 and I've pored through it. I don't see the immediate benefit(s) of some of the things you mention, e.g. Living Spell and Plant familiar(s).

They aren't CO amazing. But they could be fun.
And the Plant is at least on par with other Animal Companions and offers a surprising amount of flexibility.

A Living Pyrotechnics Spell is damn deadly at all levels. Just blind everyone but him every time he hits or engulfs someone. Share Spells and go to town!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
Oh, almost forgot one of my favorite creatures:

The Calzone Golem.

It has uncapped "temporarily gain AC when hit with magical fire".  Get a fiery burst reserve feat, and have fun with a 100 AC minion.

Hehehe, I ran that sidequest for my PCs. Was enjoyed immensely.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »
Forgot where I read about this one but Ferocity of the Sanguine Rage from Dragon Magic is a great Gish spell. Round/lvl for 1/2*CL moral bonus to all damage. And if you want, you can end the spell to gain the benefits of Truestrike. Simple and strong.

On of my favorite Monk feats I never see mentioned.
[spoiler]
RING THE GOLDEN BELL
[GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike,
Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), base
attack bonus +5.
Benefit: A number of times per day equal to 1 + your
Wisdom bonus, you may deal unarmed strike damage with
a successful ranged attack. This attack has a range increment
equal to 5 feet + 5 feet per point of Wisdom bonus. Normal
cover modifiers apply. This attack can deliver any effect your
unarmed strike can normally deliver, such as a stunning
attack due to the Stunning Fist feat.
[/spoiler]

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
re: Ring the Golden Bell: Odd, I've seen it mentioned quite a bit since I first saw it.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
Hey bearsarebrown could you copy down the NAME of said feats or atleast the page numbers. Tracking things down in a mag without them is really hard ... :banghead
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
Hey bearsarebrown could you copy down the NAME of said feats or atleast the page numbers. Tracking things down in a mag without them is really hard ... :banghead

Sorry bout that. Updated some of the things. I never wrote the pages when I found them the first time, just the issues, so I have to find them again too LOL.

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
Dragon 336 also had the Mystic Ranger. :D
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 01:28:23 AM »
Dragon #343, pg. 90: "Pious Extensions" articles - a series of articles giving bonus "divine" feats for the shugenja, favored soul, cleric, druid, and spirit shaman.  I like seeing feat support for the non-core options - shugenja can spend a feat to gain rebuke elementals, for example.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 01:32:52 AM »
Dragon #343, pg. 90: "Pious Extensions" articles - a series of articles giving bonus "divine" feats for the shugenja, favored soul, cleric, druid, and spirit shaman.  I like seeing feat support for the non-core options - shugenja can spend a feat to gain rebuke elementals, for example.
I just wish WotC had given a bit of love to psionics. expanded psi handbook was pure gold, complete psionic was fecal cheese with nearly nothing in between, and aside from an awesome psionic tattoos web enhancement they haven't gotten much.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
One issue of Dragon had a ranger ACF which let you trade you animal companion for the ability to add your favoured enemy bonus to attack rolls as well as damage.

Interesting on a swift hunter, since they progress favoured enemies but not companions.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
I fully support #327's Craft Construct options. It's a really overlooked option (due to massive XP expenditure in its creation, presumably) for PCs and one I've always loved - this just gives it a little more love that it doesn't really need, but is nice to have, especially the INT score option.

Another nice find is Rod of Animated Dead (Dragon #331, page 66). Five times/day 30-ft radius burst of "animate dead" with no material component cost - only up to 10HD per use and you don't get to control them. Just be flying or out of their reach and watch them wreak havoc - or just be fodder. Or combine with the feat that makes mindless undead ignore you and use it to assist in building an undead stronghold for cheap (24k gp for 50HD of undead/day).
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"