Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163413 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #940 on: May 10, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
Rust monster + necrotic cyst + mob template + necrotic burst/eruption

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #941 on: May 10, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
why rust monster? mobs don't get any of the standard attacks of the base creature

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #942 on: May 10, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
why rust monster? mobs don't get any of the standard attacks of the base creature
Quote from: DMG2
well, since the rust attack of the rust monster is part of its regular attack, I figured it would work -- all metal on the character's body would just disappear; this would tend to get rid of most protective items and other magic items as well.
then you blow them up with necrotic eruption/burst.

scratch that -- fuck rust monsters .... use balhannath (MM4). :devil (and if you're feeling really fucked-up, toss the winged-creature template on each of them)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #943 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
it is an attack that doesn't augment its damage, that's why it doesn't work

yeah the Balhannath would work

why not an ooze with the Split ability?  :devil

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #944 on: May 10, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
it is an attack that doesn't augment its damage, that's why it doesn't work

yeah the Balhannath would work

why not an ooze with the Split ability?  :devil
:plotting

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #945 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
snowflake ooze is medium-sized ;)

how would that work if there are 48 oozes with split? do you get 48 oozes or 1 mob or 48 mobs?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #946 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:32 AM »
Use Sanctum Spell with the Gylph.
Don't think that works, since sanctum spell only triggers the moment you actually cast the spell.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #947 on: May 11, 2011, 03:38:01 AM »
Yes, and you cast the spell into the Gylph Seal. The Seal accepts it since it is technically level 2 or lower (or 5 or higher for the Greater Seal). This lets you use the Glyph Seal for 3rd-level and lower spells or use the Greater Glyph Seal for 4th-level or higher spells (in sanctum). The great part is you can be inside or outside of your sanctum later and it won't matter at all: the spell is already cast, it just hasn't yet taken effect.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #948 on: May 11, 2011, 04:00:22 AM »
Yes, and you cast the spell into the Gylph Seal. The Seal accepts it since it is technically level 2 or lower (or 5 or higher for the Greater Seal). This lets you use the Glyph Seal for 3rd-level and lower spells or use the Greater Glyph Seal for 4th-level or higher spells (in sanctum). The great part is you can be inside or outside of your sanctum later and it won't matter at all: the spell is already cast, it just hasn't yet taken effect.
Problem is, if that counts as casting the spell for purposes of metamagic, it also counts for things like duration, which makes the item significantly less useful.
Planetouched Handbook

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #949 on: May 11, 2011, 04:42:12 AM »
The spell doesn't take effect until activated. Duration isn't a running clock while the spell is stored. Please read the Glyph Seal. It specifically calls out that you cast the spell but that the spell does not immediately take effect.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #950 on: May 11, 2011, 04:56:42 AM »
The spell doesn't take effect until activated. Duration isn't a running clock while the spell is stored. Please read the Glyph Seal. It specifically calls out that you cast the spell but that the spell does not immediately take effect.
Which means that the sanctum spell part doesn't immediately take effect either.  You have to pick one or the other.
Planetouched Handbook

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #951 on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:02 AM »
No, Sanctum Spell applies when you cast a spell. To clarify: it affects the very nature of the spell. You do not cast a level 3 spell. You cast a level 2 spell. It is then irrelevant what the spell actually does until it takes effect*.

*This is also incredibly interesting for Personal-range spells since the Glyph Seals accept all spells, unlike the actual spells they emulate, which accept only spells that harm. But the conditions from the spells they mimic (namely the release of the spell) do not care what kind of spell is stored.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:04:39 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #952 on: May 11, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »
No, Sanctum Spell applies when you cast a spell.
And duration counts from when you cast the spell.

Either you consider the initial casting to be "casting the spell" in all respects (including ticking down duration and triggering sanctum spell) or you don't.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Note that you can't do buffs with it regardless of the outcome, since it functions as a spell glyph from "glyph of warding", which specifies it only can store "harmful" spells.
Planetouched Handbook

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #953 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »
Quote from: SRD
If the spell creates an effect, the effect lasts for the duration.
If the effect hasn't started, it can't start ticking.

Further, regarding the second point, the Glyph Seals specify how to put a spell into them, but only call out working like the spell for how the spell is actually activated. I don't know how else to phrase this clearly.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #954 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »
If the effect isn't started, then sanctum spell doesn't trigger, and sanctum fireball remains a third level spell.  You can stick the glyph in your sanctum, and when a small kitten wanders by it'll get hit by a fourth level sanctum fireball, or outside and a kobold will see a second level fireball.

By the way, spoiler or trim that shit in your sig.  Your sig should never be three times longer than your post.
Planetouched Handbook

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #955 on: May 11, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
By the way, spoiler or trim that shit in your sig.  Your sig should never be three times longer than your post.

+1
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #956 on: May 11, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
If the effect isn't started, then sanctum spell doesn't trigger, and sanctum fireball remains a third level spell.  You can stick the glyph in your sanctum, and when a small kitten wanders by it'll get hit by a fourth level sanctum fireball, or outside and a kobold will see a second level fireball.

I just adblock'd it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #957 on: May 11, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
If the effect isn't started, then sanctum spell doesn't trigger, and sanctum fireball remains a third level spell.  You can stick the glyph in your sanctum, and when a small kitten wanders by it'll get hit by a fourth level sanctum fireball, or outside and a kobold will see a second level fireball.

By the way, spoiler or trim that shit in your sig.  Your sig should never be three times longer than your post.

Sanctum Spell doesn't change the effect of the spell. It changes its level. The metamagic checks where it is "cast": "level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal."

It is effectively a level - 1 spell outside of the Sanctum. This is then used to trick the Glyph Seal into accepting what is normally, but is not in this case, a third-level spell.

EDIT: to clarify, since it is at that point already cast, when activated it still comes out at level - 1, not at its regular level, or at level + 1.

As for the signature, I'd have appreciated if you could have at least feigned courtesy. No need to be rude. I wasn't aware it was that long. It runs on one line for me, though I had heard on small netbooks from a friend (who has a small netbook) that it runs onto a second line.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:33:30 PM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #958 on: May 11, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »
But it is a rather awesome sig.

My kitty avatar feels like the other guys, on the Enzite commercials.
 :fu

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #959 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
But it is a rather awesome sig.

My kitty avatar feels like the other guys, on the Enzite commercials.
 :fu
You mean the ones horrified by the serial-killer face of doom?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]