Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163403 times)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #780 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:30 PM »
Chameleon or artificer on the other hand.  :lol

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #781 on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »
Also, I am aware of Magic of Eberron's rules of do not mix and match graft types, but if your following up with that then I suggest you read the following:
Quote from: Magic of Eberron
This section contains information on grafts representative of a few of the different cultures discussed in Magic of Eberron. (The rules presented here might deviate from those of the grafts presented in other books. These rules apply only to the grafts in this book, and not to any other form of graft previously introduced.)

Isn't Races of the Dragon the most up to date 3.5 graft source?
Yes. They apply to Draconic grafts, not all.
Quote from: Races of the Dragon page 126
The draconic grafts in this book have the following rules in common. (These follow the revised graft rules presented in Magic of Eberron.)
And as noted, MoE's rules do not replace the rules for other grafts either.

FYI, MoE/RotD graft rules never really could replace old grafting rules anyway. New rules establish as a base rule all grafts require a HP loss for having them and give a bonus for having multiple grafts of the same type. That being said, they did toss a minor update, you cannot mix old and new style grafts. Just old/old which notable use a penalty system that becomes worse for you the more you mix and match.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #782 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
Hmm.  Is this as good as I think it is?

The Runestaff of Power (MiC 181) seems drastically underpriced for what it does.  Consider:

1. It gets a list of spells roughly comparable to the  25,000gp Runestaff of Evocation (arguably better--it's a much more versatile list, and the ability to create a Wall of Force as a personal force dome is VERY nice and unavailable elsewhere.) 
2. The Runestaff of Power costs 38,300gp...so its additional powers should add up to about 13,300gp in value.
3. It's a +2 weapon that grants a +2 luck bonus to AC and saves.  That ALONE is worth 26,000gp.
4. BUT!  It ALSO grants a really amazing smite ability--burn a first level spell slot to DOUBLE damage with all melee attacks for a round.

Seems like a pretty damned fine Gish weapon to me.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #783 on: April 19, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
Runestaff of Power is 59,000gp due to the errata. Most of the pricing of runestaves was off in the book.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #784 on: April 19, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
Runestaff of Power is 59,000gp due to the errata. Most of the pricing of runestaves was off in the book.

Aah.  So I WAS right about it being drastically underpriced, at least.    I think it's still something of a bargain at that price.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #785 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »
More like Runestaff of Gandalf, amirite?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #786 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:36 PM »

No, no, if it was the Runestaff of Gandalf, it would have a whole lot of amazing abilities you weren't allowed to actually use for fear of being corrupted by the lust for power, but if it wasn't for that you could show Middle Earth a thing or two, yessir!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »

No, no, if it was the Runestaff of Gandalf, it would have a whole lot of amazing abilities you weren't allowed to actually use for fear of being corrupted by the lust for power, but if it wasn't for that you could show Middle Earth a thing or two, yessir!
Sometimes referred to as the Runestaff of the Deck of Many Things
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #788 on: April 22, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
Here's an often overlooked one, found online (search for Orc Warlord):  the Orc Warlord PrC can be entered at level 10 (or as early as 6 if you can get a bonus feat that works for any feat at level 6).  At its fifth level, you get this ability:

Final Rage (Ex): At 5th level, the warlord gains the ability to incite a rage in all his nearby allies for one last phenomenal attack. Any allies within ten feet of the warlord (including the warlord himself) immediately enter a rage, even if they could not normally do so or have used all their own rage ability for the day. If the warlord or an ally is already in a rage at the time or is capable of a greater rage, the affected creatures enter a greater rage instead (if an affected creature is already in a greater rage, this ability has no additional effect). This rage (or increase to greater rage) lasts until the warlord's next turn, and all penalties for leaving a rage apply (for example, the creatures are fatigued, and if already fatigued they become exhausted). Invoking the final rage is a free action.

Now consider that's unlimited free action raging... and the Intimidating Rage feat, along with Imperious Command.  And try to get immune to fatigue somehow.  That's some pretty darn nice fear spamming.

JaronK

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #789 on: April 22, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »
Here's an often overlooked one, found online (search for Orc Warlord):  the Orc Warlord PrC can be entered at level 10 (or as early as 6 if you can get a bonus feat that works for any feat at level 6).  At its fifth level, you get this ability:

Final Rage (Ex): At 5th level, the warlord gains the ability to incite a rage in all his nearby allies for one last phenomenal attack. Any allies within ten feet of the warlord (including the warlord himself) immediately enter a rage, even if they could not normally do so or have used all their own rage ability for the day. If the warlord or an ally is already in a rage at the time or is capable of a greater rage, the affected creatures enter a greater rage instead (if an affected creature is already in a greater rage, this ability has no additional effect). This rage (or increase to greater rage) lasts until the warlord's next turn, and all penalties for leaving a rage apply (for example, the creatures are fatigued, and if already fatigued they become exhausted). Invoking the final rage is a free action.

Now consider that's unlimited free action raging... and the Intimidating Rage feat, along with Imperious Command.  And try to get immune to fatigue somehow.  That's some pretty darn nice fear spamming.

JaronK

Races of Faerun for the sourcebook, btw.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #790 on: April 22, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
Except I already brought up infinite raging as a free action before (using a mongoose and w/e the name of quicken rage is) and was shot down after being told Rage is a binary effect. You are or you aren't. I remodified and tweak things to have 0 rounds for the duration thus allowing rage end the same turn you use it allotting for spamming, but the HP loss was too much and that idea didn't win over either. Why have infinite rages at the cost of nearly zero HP when one does the job?

Got rules saying raging isn't binary?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #791 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »
Note the ability specifically says "even if they could not normally do so."  Thus, it doesn't matter what the general rule is... the specific rule is that you can enter a rage right now, regardless.

JaronK

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #792 on: April 23, 2011, 12:25:55 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if you could combine that with the warchief PrC in the minatures handbook.

Base 3/Warchief 7/Orc Warchief 10

Thats alot of pent up rage.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #793 on: April 23, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
The Orc Warlord is only 5 levels long, getting that Final Rage ability at level 5.  It also gives you a lot more Orcs as followers... and a minor Inspire Courage ability.

Really, the trick is qualifying early enough.  The main issue is that the class requires Leadership and one of a few feats that require Leadership as a prerequisite, so you can't enter until level 10 unless you have a way of getting a bonus feat at the right time.

JaronK

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #794 on: April 23, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
The Orc Warlord is only 5 levels long, getting that Final Rage ability at level 5.  It also gives you a lot more Orcs as followers... and a minor Inspire Courage ability.

Really, the trick is qualifying early enough.  The main issue is that the class requires Leadership and one of a few feats that require Leadership as a prerequisite, so you can't enter until level 10 unless you have a way of getting a bonus feat at the right time.

JaronK
Why, pray tell, can't one enter at 9 if one can enter at 6?

It's either 7 and 10, or 6 and 9.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #795 on: April 23, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
As I said, you normally have to enter at 10 unless you can get the feats faster (7 is the earliest, attainable if you get a bonus feat that can give Leadership or Might Makes Right or something at 6).

But yeah, just noticed the first time I said 6.  That's false... 7 is the fastest.

JaronK

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #796 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
Why not 9? Take the feat at 9th, use it as a prereq. I seem to recall it being explicitly stated that you can use a feat as a prereq for something at the same level you take it?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #797 on: April 23, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
Note the ability specifically says "even if they could not normally do so."  Thus, it doesn't matter what the general rule is... the specific rule is that you can enter a rage right now, regardless.
That is a valid, though abusing interpretation. Keep in mind it is also possible to interpret that other ways.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #798 on: April 23, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
If you can spare a feat on Skill Focus (Diplomacy) before 6th, a level of Marshal at 6th gives you a bonus feat of your choice. You can use that to get Leadership and Might Makes Right at 6th.

Here's the Orc Warlord and related feats, btw.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: April 23, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
maybe levels of half-orc and human paragon could get you the feat at 6th-level