Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163744 times)

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
"I know a guy who knows a guy who found a bunch of ability score points that fell off the back of a truck in hell."

Who is a Prince from Baator. If you provide him with your immortal soul you will receive 3 million souls to your account and ascend to godhood.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
Naberius was the guy who invented "24 Hour Energy" drinks.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #482 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:43 AM »
Naberious + Soultick. Nuff said.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #483 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:05 AM »

Naberius is the Kwisatz Haderach.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #484 on: March 04, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »
Naberious + Soultick. Nuff said.

Yeah, there's actually a ton of stuff like that.  Off the top of my head:

Hellfire Warlock (do a bunch more damage with Warlock blasts in exchange for some con damage)
Ritual of Shadow Walking (as earlier)
Psionic Sinew (Gives Claws of the Bear for one point of dex damage, and gives 3 temporary hitpoints for a minute for the same cost)
Soul Tick (Does 1 point of con damage per day, and will throw in a little extra if it doesn't like you, but auto empowers all death, evil, and negative energy spells)
Dark Speech (Take 1d4 Charisma damage to cause a host of interesting effects, such as causing fear effects, increasing the caster level of evil spells, increasing the caster level of evil items, etc.  Also, take 1d4 con damage to make a hive mind out of vermin)
Corrupt Spells (There's a ton of them, and all of them have a side effect of stat damage)
Words of Creation (The good version of Dark Speech)
Sanctified Spells (The good version of Corrupt Spells)
Tainted Sorcerer (Take con damage for free metamagic, as much as you like!).

There's a good reason Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 10/Tainted Sorcerer 1/Tenebrous Apostate 5 is basically the ultimate build... and Naberius is at the core of that power.

JaronK

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #485 on: March 04, 2011, 01:58:09 AM »
Elemental Grue (CA) can attempt to dispel a spell that's in effect within 40 feet as long as it has the same Elemental Descriptor as the Elemental Grue.  They may do this as a free action.  Not swift.  Free.  I don't actually know if this dispels anything that exciting, but it seems like it should.

Cervidal Guardinal (MM2) get crappy Spell Likes, but they have some weird things called "Horn Powers" where they can touch their horns to something and cast several spells at will including Neutralize Poison, Remove Disease, Dispel Magic (targeted at a touched illusion, and automatically succeeds), and Dismissal as the spell.  Also, according to BoED, you can summon 1 with Summon Monster 4.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:04:42 AM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
FR_WYRMSHADOWS (one of the web enhancements for Dragons of Faerun) has a feat called Create Spectral Spawn.

If you have an Energy Drain as a special ability you can create spectral spawn (as the creature + spectral template) which obey you until you die. Useful if your energy drain ability doesn't have a create spawn clause in it or maybe you are just plain sick of low level wights serving you.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #487 on: March 06, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
That is really useful with Animate Dead Familiar, cast at CL 15.

Every time your familiar carries a touch attack, the enemy gets a DC 16 save or negative level.

Now, how to up that save...

Or alternatively, just nuke that of your opponent.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »
Aurorum spell-storing, returning dye arrows. Ranged touch attacks for buffs and debuffs, with arrows that return to you and can be fixed up good as new later.

Great for any artificer worth his infusions, and good for any archer or wizard who wants to buff as a touch attack action, rather than a standard action each time.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #489 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:41 PM »
Aurorum spell-storing, returning dye arrows. Ranged touch attacks for buffs and debuffs, with arrows that return to you and can be fixed up good as new later.

Great for any artificer worth his infusions, and good for any archer or wizard who wants to buff as a touch attack action, rather than a standard action each time.

If you can get Returning on an arrow I suggest the crystal arrow article found in mind's eye.

Quote from: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20030426a
Ruby: On impact, a ruby weapon imparts the recall death power on the creature. If it makes a Will save (DC 22), the creature takes 3d6+15 points of additional damage. If it fails the save, the creature dies.
Manifester Level: 16th? Prerequisites: Craft Psionic Weapons and Arms, recall death? Market Price: +12,800 gp.

Edit: Eer if they hit they break. Splitting anyone?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #490 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:28 AM »
Edit: Eer if they hit they break. Splitting anyone?

Raptor Arrows.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #491 on: March 11, 2011, 02:49:32 AM »

Aurorum states you can put a sundered weapon back together again.  I thought ammunition was destroyed.

Question, if you sunder a magic weapon made of aurorum, is the magic preserved when put back together again?  Always assumed it would.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #492 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »

Aurorum states you can put a sundered weapon back together again.  I thought ammunition was destroyed.

Question, if you sunder a magic weapon made of aurorum, is the magic preserved when put back together again?  Always assumed it would.

Strictly speaking, no.  A sundered item is destroyed and thus loses it's magic.
From the RC page 142 under Sunder Results,
"If you beat the defender, roll damage and deal it to the held object. See the tables on page 107 to determine how much damage you must deal to destroy the held object."
From the DMG page 214,
"Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost."

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #493 on: March 11, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »
And yet, specific over general. Read the entry for Aurorum - it does keep the magic after being Sundered and restored.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

bananaphone

« Reply #494 on: March 11, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »
And yet, specific over general. Read the entry for Aurorum - it does keep the magic after being Sundered and restored.
"The broken pieces bond quickly and seamlessly, restoring the item to its previous state."
This is subject to interpretation and would be a DM's call.
I take that to mean that the item is repaired, not that it's magic is restored. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:50:38 AM by bananaphone »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #495 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50:17 AM »
"The broken pieces bond quickly and seamlessly, restoring the item to its previous state."
This is subject to interpretation.
Was it magical in its "previous state", prior to being destroyed? I'd say so.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #496 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »
This is subject to interpretation.
In its previous state, it was both whole and magical. If it's restored to that state, it makes sense that it would regain the magic.

Edit: Agitaaaaa!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #497 on: March 11, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »
And seriously, it would be pointless to pay 4000 gp to repair a masterwork item.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bananaphone

« Reply #498 on: March 11, 2011, 05:08:14 AM »
And seriously, it would be pointless to pay 4000 gp to repair a masterwork item.
True. 
I never used Aurorum because I always thought that +4000gp was too cheap to auto restore magic to a broken item (as well as make sundering useless), and so I thought it only repaired the physical portion.
If it does restore the magic, I guess I will have to look at using it for sunder protection in future builds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:13:16 AM by bananaphone »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #499 on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
True. 
I never used Aurorum because I always thought that +4000gp was too cheap to auto restore magic to a broken item (as well as make sundering useless), and so I thought it only repaired the physical portion.
If it does restore the magic, I guess I will have to look at using it for sunder protection in future builds.
Sundering is worse than useless, so I fail to see the big deal with that one. :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation