Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163396 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »
The type pyramid got overwritten by the release of the new PHB, only applies to templates (not feats), gets trumped by the specific text on every template that changes type, and was intended to serve as a rough guide for the order you should apply templates when you're a DM and have a half-fiend half-fey half-dragon half-elf.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:47:19 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #281 on: January 22, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
The template got overwritten by the release of the new PHB, only applies to templates (not feats), gets trumped by the specific text on every template that changes type, and was intended to serve as a rough guide for the order you should apply templates when you're a DM and have a half-fiend half-fey half-dragon half-elf character whose mom was an elf whore that liked playing with tentacle monsters.

Fix'd.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Pun-Pun is a kobold who was created by a poster on Wizards of the Coast's Character Optimization internet forum as a thought experiment on creating omnipotent characters through exploitation of rules loopholes. He has since gained some notoriety as 'the most powerful DnD character ever'.

I personally found this amusing

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »
I just noticed you could technically use Insane Defiance by targeting yourself with a mind-affecting ability just to apply a -4 penalty to somebody's save, if you really have to. It's not great, particularly once immunity to mind-affecting effects becomes ubiquitous, since it deals a point of Wis damage and takes an immediate action, but it's a nice little (probably unintended) benefit to the feat.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »
I just noticed you could technically use Insane Defiance by targeting yourself with a mind-affecting ability just to apply a -4 penalty to somebody's save, if you really have to. It's not great, particularly once immunity to mind-affecting effects becomes ubiquitous, since it deals a point of Wis damage and takes an immediate action, but it's a nice little (probably unintended) benefit to the feat.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
There's a power in Dragon Magic called gemstone breath that grants you an honest-to-goodness breath weapon, usable once every two rounds.

Since it's an actual breath weapon AND a psionic power, both metapsionics and breath weapon feats work on it.

I'm making a build for this character based partly on this fact.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
There's a power in Dragon Magic called gemstone breath that grants you an honest-to-goodness breath weapon, usable once every two rounds.

Since it's an actual breath weapon AND a psionic power, both metapsionics and breath weapon feats work on it.

Will be interested to see what you pull off w/ both sets of meta- feats.  Unfortunately my groups very rarely play w/ that high an LA, so I don't think the unbodied part will be relevant to me anytime soon.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »

Will be interested to see what you pull off w/ both sets of meta- feats.  Unfortunately my groups very rarely play w/ that high an LA, so I don't think the unbodied part will be relevant to me anytime soon.
The unbodied part isn't relevant, but I'll be playing around with the feats.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:10 AM »
More usefully, if someone has spell turning up, casts a spell on you, and you reflect it back at them, they resonate with themselves (since spell turning retargets to the original caster).
Planetouched Handbook

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

Okay, here's the relevant parts of a build that works with CantripN's campaign (and notes, to show what's going on where):

For the rules of this particular campaign (bonus feats and all):

Dragonborn Warforged (Heart) Kineticist 10

Feats:
1. Psicrystal Affinity
1P. Overchannel (psion feat)
1F. Entangling Breath (flaw)
1F. Empower Breath (flaw)
1B. Able Learner (campaign bonus feat)
1B. Clinging Breath (campaign bonus feat)
1B. Lingering Breath (campaign bonus feat)
1B. Knockdown Power (campaign bonus feat)
3. Privileged Energy (Sonic)
5B. Paraelemental Power (Sonic) (psion feat)
6. Psicrystal Containment
9. Metapower (Knockdown Power + gemstone breath)
10B. Metapower (Paraelemental Power + gemstone breath)

He takes energy missile, psionic open chakra, (from Magic of Incarnum), and gemstone breath, and opens his hands chakra to bind with a metamagic rod of Enlarge.

Round 1: He uses his racial breath weapon on as many foes as he can, ensuring that it's at least entangling, and possibly Lingering and Clinging. Then as a swift action, he manifests an Enlarged (+1 ML), Overchanneled (+2 ML), Empowered, Clinging, Lingering, Privileged, Paraelemental, Knockdown gemstone breath augmented to 13 pp, manifesting it through his psicrystal.

His psicrystal uses its standard action to blow chunks at his foes, and they must make a Reflex save (at a -2 penalty for those hit with his racial breath weapon) or be knocked prone in a cloud of sonic gas. They must make an additional Fortitude save (at the same DC) or begin choking (only a standard or move action on their next turn). Anyone who doesn't make that first Ref save takes 9d6+9 points of damage and is knocked prone, then takes 4.5d6+4.5 damage next round automatically. Those that also fail their Fort save can only take a standard or a move action; if they can't teleport or get additional move actions, they'll take another 4.5d6+4.5 sonic damage.

And that's about the best I can do, I think.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:56:11 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
I'm curious as to where you're getting lingering breath as a campaign bonus feat; free feats are relevant to my interests
Planetouched Handbook

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
The campaign grants bonus feats for each point of LA you don't use. And I only took 3. IIRC, it gives 3 free LA and 2 bonus feats for each one you don't use...

...and I forgot that fact until now.

[edit] Ah, yes. 2 bonus feats per LA you don't use. So I'm missing 3 feats.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:17:13 PM by Lycanthromancer »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
Ah, I was thinking it was something like the warlock getting extra invocation as a bonus feat.
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Enlarged (+1 ML), Overchanneled (+2 ML), Empowered, Clinging, Lingering, Privileged, Paraelemental, Knockdown gemstone breath
How are you stacking Metapsionics with one one two Psionic Focii?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Enlarged (+1 ML), Overchanneled (+2 ML), Empowered, Clinging, Lingering, Privileged, Paraelemental, Knockdown gemstone breath
How are you stacking Metapsionics with one one two Psionic Focii?
Enlarged is from a metamagic rod. Overchannel doesn't need a focus. Empowered is a metabreath feat, as are Clinging and Lingering. Privileged Energy doesn't need a focus, and thus Paraelemental and Knockdown are the only two that need foci.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
Also, if this WAS an actual build for a character for that campaign (for for for) then I'd probably stick the other three feats in Recover Breath, Rapid Breath, and Shape Breath. That way he could have a cone or a line whenever, and gets a -2 to the number of rounds between breaths.

And that psicrystal would have some interesting feats as well.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
you could always see if you can get gemstone breath into a mantle and play an ardent...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
you could always see if you can get gemstone breath into a mantle and play an ardent...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure what you have in mind is too cheesy even for me...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Note that psionic powers are all by defintion psilikes.  Transparency makes psilikes into spell-likes.

So stick mortalbane onto that.
Planetouched Handbook

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »
Note that psionic powers are all by defintion psilikes.  Transparency makes psilikes into spell-likes.

So stick mortalbane onto that.
This is what Supernatural Transformation was MADE for...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]