Author Topic: Fun Finds!  (Read 163751 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Fun Finds!
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
That makes me very, very sad.

Although, it reminded me of a funny little trick; namely, you can use a 3rd level spell to get a limited number of infusion types onto wands. Why? Because infusions count as spells, and that's all that Wand Modulation looks for. That and that it has no expensive components and is a level lower than the spell that is on the wand, but Metamagic Item to give the wand Heighten to 9th works quite well...

Who wants Personal Weapon Augmentation on a wand? I do!

Have to persist Wand Modulation to get good mileage, though...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »
According to Sage Advice in Dragon #33 (apparently), elves and half-orcs do not have souls and thus cannot be resurrected. I know it's not from 3.5, but I propose this rule be considered for addition to the game.
:clap Oh god that's great.

*sigh* as explained lower on that very same page, this was back when some races had souls and some had spirits. Elves and half orcs have spirits.

Resurrection only worked on souls.  Reincarnation worked on spirits.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »
Reincarnation worked on spirits.

Which is why our party druid protested in front of Elvish Inns.

MEAD IS MURDER!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
You have inspired me to use reincarnation on my drink next time I play 2E

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
Aumvar's Fragmented Phylactery Epic spell from Champions of Ruin

Lets you split your phylactery into a number of them equal to your casting modifier.
You can cast it multiple times, increasing your phylacteries by your casting modifier each time.
After a year of doing nothing but making phylacteries, you conquer your own small civilization, if you don't already have one, and make your phylacteries the local currency.  :smirk
This means that anyone trying to kill you will have to barter for/steal them all, which is especially amusing when they are paladins.
Of course you want to keep a couple hidden in various locations just in case. Or you could make your phylactery be a rock and scatter them to the ocean.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
Reincarnation worked on spirits.

Which is why our party druid protested in front of Elvish Inns.

MEAD IS MURDER!

I lol'd
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Did anyone else see the old LA+1 Illumians?
Planetouched Handbook

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
Interesting. Is there any restriction on repeatedly taking the same sigil?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
Shel: This sigil, part of the Illumian word for "growth," enables the illumian to wild shape or polymorph into creatures with 1 more Hit Dice than the illumian has levels, per sigil. For example a 5th-level illumian druid with the shel sigil could wild shape into creatures of up to 8 HD.

What

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
Interesting. Is there any restriction on repeatedly taking the same sigil?

I was wondering about that... and also about Hoon.  It says you get an extra spell known, but says nothing about spell lists.  Consider Dread Necromancers for a moment... the only way they'd get an extra spell known would be for it to be off another list.  If that worked, a DN could just take Hoon over and over, and get a TON of off list spells.  That would be enough to not even want Mao.

JaronK

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
Naenmao: Illumians with both the naen and mao sigils have unlocked the secret of converting positive or negative elemental energy into psionic energy -- and back again. As a free action, the illumian can make an attempt to turn or rebuke undead, instead channeling the energy into her own mind. The illumian then makes a turning check, and she can thereafter spend power points as if she were a psionic character with a level equal to the maximum Hit Dice she could turn. She can therefore spend more power points per round than she'd ordinarily be able to do so. The higher spending limit lasts for 1 round for each sigil the illumian has.

also  :twitch

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Naenmao: Illumians with both the naen and mao sigils have unlocked the secret of converting positive or negative elemental energy into psionic energy -- and back again. As a free action, the illumian can make an attempt to turn or rebuke undead, instead channeling the energy into her own mind. The illumian then makes a turning check, and she can thereafter spend power points as if she were a psionic character with a level equal to the maximum Hit Dice she could turn. She can therefore spend more power points per round than she'd ordinarily be able to do so. The higher spending limit lasts for 1 round for each sigil the illumian has.

also  :twitch

Ummmmm.  Wow makes me really want to make an Illumian Cleric, Divine Mind; Oh WTF is this evens supposed to do?!

Looking at the Spell Sovereign (Living Spell Prestige Class).  7/10 Spell casting progression, and the 9th and 10th levels aren't all that important so you can get away with only losing 2 Caster Levels.  I love Living spells, but I highly doubt half of the abilities would be useful, since how often do you encounter Living spells?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:44:28 PM by Aliment »
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »

Ummmmm.  Wow makes me really want to make an Illumian Cleric, Divine Mind; Oh WTF is this evens supposed to do?!
If you assume there are no psionic classes that progress turning, it's basically a badly-implemented practiced manifester.

The thought process behind it seems to be
-Multiclassing between psionic classes and divine spellcasting sucks
-Let's give them the ability to temporarily spend a level-appropriate amount of power points.
-Since they'll be taking a LA and cleric levels, they'll be at least three or four manifester levels behind
-Practiced manifester would be boring
-Hey, turning is a cleric class feature.  And it goes to your cleric level +4
-Let's not think about this too closely.  Drinks are on me.
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
Hmm, any way to get someone to let you play said Illumian awesomesauce?

Also, just to make sure, it would be from a legal source, correct? So any build carrying it would be AOK for RAW, right?

If so, I will SO try and use this for the next Iron Chef competition.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
Well, it was from a web preview which was deleted when the book actually came out, a book containing an extremely different (and more balanced) race from the one shown in the preview (demonstrating that apparently somebody at WotC actually checks if something is vaguely balanced before shipping).

So, um, I think RAW it's probably a case of the book overriding its own preview.
Planetouched Handbook

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
Oh well, I might as well see if my DM will allow this...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:16 AM »
Fun find: Mystic Shield. It's from the 'Anauroch - Empire of Shade' adventure set in Forgotten Realms, page 141. It makes you utterly immune to all spells of 6th level and under while still letting you cast spells on yourself. I need to buy me a shield with this as a constant effect pronto.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2011, 03:54:41 AM »
Oddly enough, the older version of the illumians fits well into the lore.

It gives a really good reason for the illumians to be pissed that the githyanki destroyed their holy library.  Now they have to use the sucky runes instead of the awesome ones.
Planetouched Handbook

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:13 AM »
If you have 4 Zill Sigils would you add +8d6 sneak attack? If so this race is a brokengood rogue.

And being BleyBleyBleyBley (which means fortunate fortunate fortunate fortunate but we can hope illumian language repeating the same word makes it mean more), you would have +8 to saving throws.

Also look at this:
Shelaesh: Illumians who possess both the shel and aesh sigils have a gift for companionship with animals and magical beasts. Illumians add the number of sigils they have to their character level to determine the capabilities of their animal companion.
Hello, supermount class, meet Illumian. Let's have tea.

And this is even better:
Uurkrau: Illumians possessing both the uur and krau sigils have their arcane spell failure chance reduced by 10% for each sigil they possess. Many illumians with both uur and krau are fighter/wizards.

Yes, Uur and Krau sigils are crap independently but stick them together and they apparently spell the Illumian word for awesome, since you are going to possess 6 sigils at level 20 you are basically ignoring any spell failure of 60% and less. Hello full plate caster.

If LA buy-off and this race is allowed, Take it! It is crazy brokengood. 6 Zill sigils is +18d6 sneak attack, and you could stick that on a full caster build if you wanted to. 6 Bley sigils is +18 to all saving throws, which is perhaps the best thing you can get from this.

I would so want to make an UurKrauBleyBleyBleyBley Illumian Gish with these rules. Look at me, I'm running around with +12 to all saves and full plate and I'm a full caster. Whatcha gonna do about it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:49:00 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2011, 05:21:39 AM »
If you have 4 Zill Sigils would you add +8d6 sneak attack? If so this race is a brokengood rogue.

+3d6 per sigil at level 20, so 12d6.  Nice, but hardly "broken good" since stuff like Shock Trooper already does far more.

Shelaesh: Illumians who possess both the shel and aesh sigils have a gift for companionship with animals and magical beasts. Illumians add the number of sigils they have to their character level to determine the capabilities of their animal companion.
Hello, supermount class, meet Illumian. Let's have tea.

Not that great because you can't be a Halfling Outrider, but if you took each rune three times then it might actually be worthwhile (+18, -10 from not having those ten Halfling Outrider levels).  

JaronK
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:37:05 AM by JaronK »