Author Topic: Help with Underdark: Prison Break campaign character, ECL 8, no gold  (Read 6020 times)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Help with Underdark: Prison Break campaign character, ECL 8, no gold
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 02:24:13 AM »
He's using mind flayers. Why he won't let you use ILLITHID SLAYER I've no idea.

In fact, you should make an egoist/ranger/illithid slayer.

maybe thats why he is so against psionics?

and GM dont like psions and declared, that he is going to be very bitchy about psi characters

I second the madness idea. sounds hilarious.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »
Batman Wizard. Get around the no spellbook with a PHB2 variant that trades your familiar for making it all mental.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
I'd go with Necropolitan Whispergnome Factotum or Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer.  If you want to really throw down, Necropolitan Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Sorcerer!

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »
I'd go with Necropolitan Whispergnome Factotum or Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer.  If you want to really throw down, Necropolitan Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Sorcerer!

JaronK
Can't do that.

You lose the dragon type.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
Whoa

No sleep
No gold
No crafting
No possessions (casters FTW?)
No flaws
No traits

Why not add not tier 1,2,3 and be ugly goblins? Oh wait...  :lmao
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
Whoa

No sleep
No gold
No crafting
No possessions (casters FTW?)
No flaws
No traits

Why not add not tier 1,2,3 and be ugly goblins? Oh wait...
Well AFTER we curb-stomp all these Illithids, there should be plenty of gold and possessions. Surviving time frame between "curb" and "stomp" is the hard part. Especially that as far I know, one of the players is playing something like straight ranger.  :eh Which makes me want to play Crusader just to make sure we will not die like ducks. This, or something that can survive even if his party is slaughtered.

As for ghost, GM agreed that one level is fine. We gained our levels *before* slavery, so he thinks that starting with 2 levels is kind of strange. Also, this is why I want to avoid builds that are obviously slavery-proof in the first place. Which also makes me feel awkard when I look at character sheet, but whatever, this is only DnD session I have access which was not polymorphed into storytelling-ish dark grim and emo aberration.
And, can Fey become Ghost this way? Don't remember original Ghost entry, but linked one says only that creature must be intelligent. I wonder If I can be unseliee fey, and then become ghost without losing winter unseliee powers; only living creature can become Unseelie Fey though. I probably lose UF benefits after ghostification?
To be fair, IF we win prison-break part, we are going to have awesome wealth, probably. Which makes me want to persist metamagic wand trigger away. But sticking to the standard craft time would be pain in the ass, as we DO NOT WANT to stay in burned Illithid city for too long. You know, neighborhood is pretty and all. Also, no rebuilding either. He believes that oldschool "sticking to the choices" is more pro than WoWish character retcon.

Batman Wizard. Get around the no spellbook with a PHB2 variant that trades your familiar for making it all mental.
Oh, I totally forgot about that. This makes Wizard equal to Sorcerer, because finding components is far easier than finding book full of magic; I just need to loot kitchen and some trash bins  :D

As for, why he don't like psionics, he has traumatic story about how one evil telepath in his party was a jerk and their GM used his powers to veto their "creative ideas" with that telepath "this is not derail you are looking for". I will probably link him the psioverpower myth, just for sake of that poor psion player in our group.

I can't help but reccomend a totemist. a totem rager should do pretty well. you can really play up the "absolutely fucking pissed off" angle really well with that.
Totemist looks really fun, but my GM don't have Magic of Incarnum, and there is no my native language-version of this book, so I would be forced to explain him the mechanics of incarnum, and I never tried to build actual incarnum character level-by-level. (this GM is still better than another one, who forced us to translate ALL of material we were using. And we were playing at 18 levels. And we wanted to play casters. And there are very few of 3.5 books translated to our language, and translation quality is "bleh" at best, so we all prefer English sources. Oh, trauma center. After he said that murderer in the case we were investigating was Lord Ao, we all just ragequitted and probalby are not going to play under him anymore. And he is my teammate this time  :p)

If you play an INT-based character, the "Keen Intellect" feat lets you base your Will save off of your Intelligence ability score instead of Wisdom.
Oh, I love that feat. Usually, I pick this and Fey Mysteries Initiate, totally dumping wisdom and constitution. They both are my least favorite stats.

I will third? the suggestion for a crusader. Either of the characters I'm using in Bowen's Red Hand of Doom should work well for this. The first one is immune to mind affecting outright at 5th level via the Deformity: Madness feat already mentioned (house ruled to work for a good character... but just make him evil and it works just fine...), and the second is a cleric. They both even started out as slaves in the fluff I'm actually using for them, and slaves to mindflayers would work perfectly.
I will analyze it tommorow after school. I really like your works.
Also, this is indeed great opportunity to try Madness. Most of characters I played before was mind affect-proof thanks to other methods, so it would a feat-waste, but this time it works excellently both in fluff and mechanics.

You could take the Martial Study feat to gain the Diamond Mind counter that lets you use a concentration check instead of a will save for either character (or many others).
Wasn't it like once per encounter?

That Fiend of Possesion sure looks nice, still I'm not sure that I want to try that one. And Marshall is great idea, remembering that ability to act before enemies might save my teammates from BOOM STUNSHOT.

As for "why I need approval for Iaijutsu Master"-its 3.0 and from obscure book. OK, maybe not that obscure, but I'm not sure how he feels about Oriental characters. I encountered GMs with weird ideas about OA, so I'm careful this time.

I will post some thoughts and clumsy attempts to build something tommorow or day after that (school, school, school). I'm actually divided between cool creepy Anima Mage, and that ghost character. And Crusader is glaring at me...along with Ur-Warlock. So many ideas!
Now, to the Bed-Mobile.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:04:54 PM by Nemo »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »
Yeah, you can totally be unseelie and then go ghost.  Templates only check when first applied.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »

JaronK
Can't do that.

You lose the dragon type.

Not a problem.  You take Loredrake before you become Necropolitan.   You're a dragon when you take it, so that's what matters.

JaronK