Author Topic: Gestalt+Bloodlines question  (Read 2360 times)

drako_beoulve

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Gestalt+Bloodlines question
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a question:

Since Bloodlines Mechanics says that the level of the bloodline stacks
with all class of the PC for purposes of calculating abilities and caster level based on class level progression, say, eldritch blast and sneak attack, given this gestalt build:

Warlock 10/ binder 1/ Hellfire Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 6 // Rogue 10 / Any Major Bloodline of 10 lv advancement

We will end up with:
Eldritch Blast +12d6 ( Warlock's CL = 11 ) OR Eldritch Blast +10d6 ( Warlock's CL = 9 )
Hellfire Blast +26d6 (HFW's CL=6)
Sorcerer's CL=8, Spells Lv 3
Sneack Attack +10d6

I'm Correct or totally nuts?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Gestalt+Bloodlines question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:02 AM »
all major bloodlines have 3 levels.  I am not sure where you're getting 10 levels from unless you're taking many bloodlines at once.   Anyway, yes gestalt and bloodlines are uber-broken due to the fact that there are twice as many levels for the bloodline to advance and you don't have to lose BAB or spellcasting progression at any point.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »
At best you can take 3 major bloodlines without xp penalties since you must take you first level by 3, second by 6, and third by 12 for bloodlines.  Good luck convincing your DM though that you have such a varied ancestry.

A better trick might be to use the uncanny trickster or Legacy champanion trick to advance the class features of another class.

Warlock 6/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/ Warlock 10// Rogue 1/ Bloodlines 3/Rogue 6/Legacy Champanion 10

Use legacy Champanion to advance bloodlines by 8 levels giving you 11 effective levels.  Take at least 12 levels of warlock if you are at all interested in crafting, plus it gets you more powers known.

Even advancing bloodlines with Legacy champanion is not cut and dry, so it will need DM approval.

As for gestalt, it is always a mess so the DM better be ready for exceedling powerful PC's.

reddir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »
There are two possible approaches to keep things withing expected lines.

1) Each Bloodline level is taken on both sides of the gestalt.

2) Bloodline levels taken on only one side of the gestalt only enhance the classes on that side.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »

2) Bloodline levels taken on only one side of the gestalt only enhance the classes on that side.

While those are nice house rules, they are not at all how it works.  Also the player is specifically looking for the opposite effect.

If you want to control it, the obvious way to do it is just limit it to one bloodline.  Bloodlines are suppost to represent a significant infusion of genetic input from another more powerful race.  And while the write up of bloodlines does not limit you to one, it is clearly not written for you to take a half-dozen different ones.

And again advancing bloodlines or any class beyond its full progression is controversal and requires DM approval.  So the DM knows in advance what he is getting into if he allows it.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
Also gestalt technically has no "sides"
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

reddir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »

While those are nice house rules, they are not at all how it works.  Also the player is specifically looking for the opposite effect.

The player and their GM are, of course, free to use Bloodlines + Gestalt as they like.

I was simply suggesting ways to use Bloodlines + Gestalt that limit how much additional power they give.

In terms of how it works, afaik there are no 'official' guidelines on combining Bloodlines with Gestalt. I believe my suggestions stay true to the spirit of the Gestalt rules.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:35:23 AM »

The player and their GM are, of course, free to use Bloodlines + Gestalt as they like.

I was simply suggesting ways to use Bloodlines + Gestalt that limit how much additional power they give.

In terms of how it works, afaik there are no 'official' guidelines on combining Bloodlines with Gestalt. I believe my suggestions stay true to the spirit of the Gestalt rules.
The spirit of the gestalt rules is that which side of the gestalt something is on should not matter.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

reddir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »

The spirit of the gestalt rules is that which side of the gestalt something is on should not matter.

If you feel that is an inviolable principle, disregard suggestion #2.