Author Topic: So, about book piracy.  (Read 35176 times)

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
Re: So, about book piracy.
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
Ya know, I tend to agree with altpersona here.  I understand the creaters of intellectual properties may not like it, but... well, thats the age we live in.  I have something, you like it, have a digital copy of it.  Go, enjoy.

Although, that sucks for aspiring writers.  I suppose you could get bitter about it, but trying to combat this type of piracy seems rather difficult.  I would just be happy that people enjoyed it enough to put it out there in an easily accessable torrent format.  Maybe when they see your name on a book in a used book store years from now, they'll buy a real copy. (Though you probably won't get paid for that, either)

One question to the aspiring writers/musicians/what-have-you on these boards:  Did you start writing/singing/whatever because you wanted to get paid, or because you enjoyed it and hoped others would too?
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
ah, now that is an ugly point you have gone after there irthos,

i think it was kid rock who said 'anyone can play music, im in it for the bitchs'  or something like that.

aspiring musicians will historically do about anything to get heard... that usually changes once they become successful.

i know its not 100% true, but its true enough..

one could argue that any form of art is public domain. im not arguing it, but it could be done..

i try to stay away from the specific subject of arts... and try to be more general.

another poorly written example...

bob makes cars...

nice cars,

phil loves bobs design.

phil is a master craftsman... he buys one of bobs most elegantly designed cars. he takes it apart and hand crafts / molds all the pieces to reproduce bobs design..

phil is abit ocd, he makes 100 of every part in the car...

he assembles the pieces paints them uses the legal methods of obtaining proper title and registration for the cars.. he then gives all but the original away to his friends and family as xmas gifts...

again, perfectly legal... no theft, no infringement,  and no boats...

if any of these scenarios were in fact infringing or theft or had boats... then simply reading your kids to sleep at night from a copyrighted book would be a crime as well, so would a public reading at a library as many are prone to do... or tuning your radio to the proper station when you pass by a drive in movie.. or simply singing along with the radio where other people may here you.

sometimes, a producer of copyrighted material precedes their material with a notice of copyright and consent is required to continue.. the nfl and mlb do this... "may not be reproduced in any form with out written consent from" this covers a lot of legal ground.. but if you tune into the 'big game' on the radio after it has started and miss the legal prep then you have not agreed to their terms, you were not presented with the terms and so could not agree to them... this reproduction they bar includes simply verbally communicating the events of the material to another person.. you cannot legal tell your buddy about the amazing play that was made in the game with out express written consent... and you cant watch the game at a bar unless the bar pays a fee to the owners..

game console makers use a similar approach.. but are better about it... you typically cant turn on a game device with out being presented with the copyright notice... (although a blind person could wreak havoc) the manufactures even restrict the people who want to make software for their systems.. you have to pay a development fee to be allowed create media for the desired machines..

now, if i buy my console from a flea market or pawn shop who have no arrangement with the makers, and i disassemble the device and alter its physical properties, and possibly its programming before i ever turn it on, then reassemble the thing and then turn it on, i can not see their notice at all.. you can do this sort of thing with all types of devices... dvd players, cars, watches.. all legal.

you own it, you have no agreement with the original maker, you can put a chevy engine in a ford and ford has no recourse..  it none of their business.  its also none of bobs buisness what phil does with his _________ as long as phil dosnt sell it as if it were his original or as one of bob's originals.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
another example... (i cant go back to the politics threads, my bp cant take it...)

say you own a myna bird...

your myna bird knows how to turn on your tape player.. (tapes are what we had before cd's...)

in your tape player you have a retail copy for the single of 'dont worry be happy' its acapella with just one voice... both sides of the tape play the same song and with the settings on the player done correctly it will play each side till stopped..

every day when you leave for work your bird turns on the tape player, and when you come home you turn it off..

your myna bird learns the song in its entirety...

one day the bird escapes and flys to a local park where it enjoys the sunshine and sings the one song it knows..

some people/groups/companies would say you have just violated the law by publicly reproducing copyrighted material with out consent.

Anim-manga sux.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2008, 07:48:30 PM »
i do write,
I really beg to differ.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2008, 08:21:52 PM »
what part of this isnt it is hard to grasp?

Anim-manga sux.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2008, 09:35:14 PM »
what part of this isnt it is hard to grasp?

Quote from: altpersona
i do write,
I'm just going to leave these two side-by-side.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »
will this thread be shorter for me after i hit the ignore button?

im a big fan of Uh huh, and Nu uh, but if thats all you got, then i'll leave it at that.. so i see your Nu uh, and raise you an Uh huh.

Anim-manga sux.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
Oh no, you're going to ignore me? Heavens and horrors, whatever will I do.

Read those two quotes side-by-side. If you don't find yourself saying, aloud, "Wow, I'm terrible at communicating," then you're beyond help.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

Anim-manga sux.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2008, 01:36:04 AM »
Wow.

i do write,
I really beg to differ.

You know Talen, writing isn't the same as typing.  Maybe he just doesn't give a shit about the shift key, or punctuation.  Granted, that makes reading his posts a bit harder, but sometimes there's a good point in there. 

As to the infamous People v Parakeet scandal, I really wouldn't be that surprised to see the headline "Bird steals songs; Spears Sues" or some other load of horseshit.  Thats just the kind of crap that happens nowadays.  I think you're right about most musicians starting off wanting to just play some music, but sometime after the first check hits their mailbox, they tend to get pissy over stuff like Napster (or Limewire, for the youngsters).  But I mean, really, who wasn't a bit galled at Metallica for getting their panties in a wad for losing some sales?  Hadn't they already been around for like 20 years?

Why don't aspiring what-have-you's look at P2P file sharing as awesomely free exposure?
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2008, 01:53:02 AM »
indeed i dont give a crap about grammar on internet forums..

the interweb is for bitching about movies and checking out crazy sex stuff you will never have chance to do in real life, not grammar.

Anim-manga sux.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2008, 02:33:14 AM »
Conduct yourself like a moron, be regarded as a moron.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2008, 03:12:18 AM »

Please tell me you realized how that statement applies to bitching at someone about grammar that short of punctuation and capitalization is mostly correct while you're on the internet...

Of the two of you, the lazy one looks a lot less a moron than the harpy.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2008, 03:40:48 AM »

Please tell me you realized how that statement applies to bitching at someone about grammar that short of punctuation and capitalization is mostly correct while you're on the internet...

Of the two of you, the lazy one looks a lot less a moron than the harpy.
If you have remarkably low standards, I suppose?

Making a point badly is as worse than just not making a point; heaven forfend that on a board designed for communication, I expect people to communicate.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2008, 03:50:22 AM »
I expect people to communicate.

And he is doing so. His meaning is quite clear, and despite what you say, the lack of capitalization and the improper punctuation do not disrupt the flow of his thoughts, so it is not difficult to read... Just annoying.

What you are doing is attempting to hinder someone from communicating just because they take a more casual approach to it. You are, also, ignoring his points and associating the validity of his claims with an unrelated personal view he holds (I'm told there's a name for that hanging around somewhere), namely that as long as his views come across unhindered, proper grammatical form is unimportant on teh interbuttz.

Of the two of you, you are the only one coming across as moronic.

And not just that, but petty as well.

And to get this back on topic...

Why don't aspiring what-have-you's look at P2P file sharing as awesomely free exposure?

Many of them do. Many actually intentionally release things on P2P shares for that purpose.

'Shareware' is still seen as a good idea by many.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
Many of them do. Many actually intentionally release things on P2P shares for that purpose.

'Shareware' is still seen as a good idea by many.

It sometimes get to a point where it's easier to find a shitty cover of Metallica than the actual song. Granted, there's a lot of good stuff, but there's a lot of trash, too.

The actual reason I get somewhat pissed at the industry for going berserk on p2p networks is that sometimes, it appears the whole thing is more a 'beauty war' than anything else. Basically, before the internet, the big producers were the ones who decided what was and what wasn't good enough for publishing/releasing. Now, any two-bit retard monkey can pollute the internet and call himself an artist. It occurs to me that when a recording company fights for the gains of Britney Fucking Spears, that they're just pissed they don't have the awesome power to decide what's fit for the shelves anymore.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
It occurs to me that when a recording company fights for the gains of Britney Fucking Spears, that they're just pissed they don't have the awesome power to decide what's fit for the shelves anymore.

+1

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2008, 03:25:33 PM »
But, really, why stop there, altpersona?  Let's finish the story.

Bob, who spent a large amount of time and effort developing his grass, hoped that his efforts would be justified by being able to sell it to everyone in the neighborhood. 

Since Phil has so thoughtfully given the grass away to everyone else in the neighborhood, Bob finds that nobody else is interested in buying from him.

Bob says, "To hell with this--all that time and effort, and I got one sale."  Bob gives up on developing new strains of grass, and as a result, any future discoveries or improvements he might have made never happen.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2008, 03:34:02 PM »
fair enough, but the markets show that phil hasnt hurt bob's sales, and may actually help.

Anim-manga sux.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
But, really, why stop there, altpersona?  Let's finish the story.

Bob, who spent a large amount of time and effort developing his grass, hoped that his efforts would be justified by being able to sell it to everyone in the neighborhood. 

Since Phil has so thoughtfully given the grass away to everyone else in the neighborhood, Bob finds that nobody else is interested in buying from him.

Bob says, "To hell with this--all that time and effort, and I got one sale."  Bob gives up on developing new strains of grass, and as a result, any future discoveries or improvements he might have made never happen.

Too bad I don't live in Bob's neighborhood, as, especially since he is not a corporate entity, once I found the source of the grass I loved so much, I would buy directly from him any time I needed more. If his stock was much better than the clipping I had gotten, I would likely even buy enough to redo the lawn right then.