Author Topic: Blink Dog Optimization  (Read 6302 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Blink Dog Optimization
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Well, I would say concealment prevents a rogue from finding the right point to target. With blink they can see it fine, it just might not be there when they hit it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
Yes, it is miss chance but it is not due to concealment, it is due to the random etherealness. So you can sneak attack just fine.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
I don't remember where I saw it, but blinking automatically triggers sneak attack (unless they have True Seeing or some other way of seeing ehtereal creatures).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
I don't remember where I saw it, but blinking automatically triggers sneak attack (unless they have True Seeing or some other way of seeing ehtereal creatures).

MiC and Races of the Wild. It's a specific weapon enhancement called Blinking.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
Nope.  It's in the spell description itself.

Quote from: Blink, SRD
While blinking, you take only half damage from area attacks (but full damage from those that extend onto the Ethereal Plane). You strike as an invisible creature (with a +2 bonus on attack rolls), denying your target any Dexterity bonus to AC.
emphasis mine
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »
I agree, some of my playing group called it into question stating that miss chance was the same as concealment though.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »
I agree, some of my playing group called it into question stating that miss chance was the same as concealment though.
That is not the case in DnD.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
Here is an attempt at a build.

Blink Dog (+6 dex, +2 wis)

RHD 4/ LA 2 (buy this off)/Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Totemist 2/Swordsage 2/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Totemist 3-6/ Other 2
Required Feats: Blind Fight, Spring Attack, Recommended: Weapon Finesse
This setup should work fairly nicely for a melee combatant. You can teleport all day long 3 times a round making a full attack each time. You can make unarmed strikes and natural attacks at a fairly nice attack bonus with weapon finesse. You have some sneak attack, which is triggered by your blink special ability, which gives you decent damage. You will probably have around 7 or so attacks per round with some variance based on the soulmelds you currently have shaped. You get some spellcasting from a rather nice list. Also you get wisdom to AC twice and lots of miss chance.

Do you guys have some other suggested feats for this build?  I have the qualification feats already, along with Weapon Finesse, Sun School and Improved Natural Attack. 

Freezing the Lifeblood perhaps? 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Expanded soulmeld capacity for your totemist soulmelds and multiattack to make your secondary attacks at a higher bonus.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
Don't I have to be Swordsage 3 before I qualify to learn the Assassin's Stance stance?  Or am I misreading something?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
Other Class levels count as 1/2 initiator levels. This is why dipping into tome of battle classes is so good.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Don't I have to be Swordsage 3 before I qualify to learn the Assassin's Stance stance?  Or am I misreading something?

Racial HD count for half initiator level too.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »

Ok then.  Can you tell me where I can find that nice little rule?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
ToB page 39 under the multiclass character heading.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
Cheers thanks.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:54 PM »
Enjoy your multipouncing.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »

That is a little questionable though.

In the "essence of evil" online adventure, page 28, one of the foes, a ken-li swordsage has mostly low lv maneuvers similar to those a normal swordsage would have taken. Whether the designer intentionally believed that racial HD shouldn't improve IL, overlooked this altogether or was simply too lazy to optimize his maneuver selection is up in the air though.

His IL is also listed as 6, despite having 12 racial HD and 6 lvs of swordsage.

A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

That is a little questionable though.

In the "essence of evil" online adventure, page 28, one of the foes, a ken-li swordsage has mostly low lv maneuvers similar to those a normal swordsage would have taken. Whether the designer intentionally believed that racial HD shouldn't improve IL, overlooked this altogether or was simply too lazy to optimize his maneuver selection is up in the air though.

His IL is also listed as 6, despite having 12 racial HD and 6 lvs of swordsage.

Example characters are blatantly wrong a huge portion of the time.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
So here's another question:

Would my multipouncing also set off the Flash of Sunset maneuver from the Sun School feat?  So every time I teleport/dim. door I not only get a full attack, during which I can flurry of blows, but I also get a free immediate attack at my highest bonus?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
So here's another question:

Would my multipouncing also set off the Flash of Sunset maneuver from the Sun School feat?  So every time I teleport/dim. door I not only get a full attack, during which I can flurry of blows, but I also get a free immediate attack at my highest bonus?
It would, yes.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]