Author Topic: Blink Dog Optimization  (Read 6303 times)

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Blink Dog Optimization
« on: February 11, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
Ok guys, don't laugh, but I have the opportunity to play a Blink Dog and I need some help with op-ing him out.  The DM has allowed the players to make pretty much whatever we want, and then he'll build a campaign around us.  The folks in my party have all decided on a canine theme, and I jumped on the Blink Dog before everyone else.

I'm thinking of taking the Monster of Legend template, as the DM said that he would prolly count that as a +5 LA.  Getting the 5 caster levels of cleric from that would put me on a decent start to add some more cleric class levels.  This is not set in stone, and if you guys have some ideas that are both flavorful and more opt-ed than what I have I'd like to see them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Blink Dog Optimization
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
Telflammar Shadowlord would probably be your best prestige class option if you are not going for a casting focused build. Although you will need some method of getting other natural attacks. Either totemist or psychic warrior would probably work well for a base class due to the natural weapon abilities available to them. If you focus on getting as many natural attacks as you can, take 2 levels of swordsage for assassin's stance and the skills to qualify for Shadowlord, then take 4 levels of shadow lord you can be shadow pounding multiple times per round through the use of your racial dimension door, shadow hand teleportation, and the blink shirt from totomist or the teleportation powers of the psychic warrior.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
Pick up either a Monk level or Improved Unarmed Strike so you can make iteratives.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
I would actually stay away from Monster of Legend and Cleric levels (you're 6 caster levels behind, 11 if you go Monster of Legend).  They don't add much.  However, as others suggested, the Shadowlord makes the best use of the racial abilities from the Blink Dog and an entry of TotemistX/Swordsage 2 would provide you with tons of options in combat.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
Here is an attempt at a build.

Blink Dog (+6 dex, +2 wis)

RHD 4/ LA 2 (buy this off)/Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Totemist 2/Swordsage 2/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Totemist 3-6/ Other 2
Required Feats: Blind Fight, Spring Attack, Recommended: Weapon Finesse
This setup should work fairly nicely for a melee combatant. You can teleport all day long 3 times a round making a full attack each time. You can make unarmed strikes and natural attacks at a fairly nice attack bonus with weapon finesse. You have some sneak attack, which is triggered by your blink special ability, which gives you decent damage. You will probably have around 7 or so attacks per round with some variance based on the soulmelds you currently have shaped. You get some spellcasting from a rather nice list. Also you get wisdom to AC twice and lots of miss chance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:29:42 PM by Havok4 »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
divine crusader.

can you blink and pounce? if it all works out well, blink/pounce/smite/SA. after buffing of course..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:46:18 PM »
Here is an attempt at a build.

Blink Dog (+6 dex, +2 wis)

RHD 4/ LA 2 (buy this off)/Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Totemist 2/Swordsage 2/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Totemist 3-6/ Other 2
Required Feats: Blind Fight, Spring Attack, Recommended: Weapon Finesse
This setup should work fairly nicely for a melee combatant. You can teleport all day long 3 times a round making a full attack each time. You can make unarmed strikes and natural attacks at a fairly nice attack bonus with weapon finesse. You have some sneak attack, which is triggered by your blink special ability, which gives you decent damage. You will probably have around 7 or so attacks per round with some variance based on the soulmelds you currently have shaped. You get some spellcasting from a rather nice list. Also you get wisdom to AC twice and lots of miss chance.

What does the Totemist do for me in there?  More attacks per full attack?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
Yes. And short range Dimension Door at will.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
Yes, and it nets you more natural attacks. Although a blink dog shaping the blink shirt soul meld does have some redundancy it gives you more teleports per round. You get a free action teleport from the race, a move action from the bound blink shirt, and a standard action from your swordsage and shadowlord levels.

TheChuck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »
Yes, and it nets you more natural attacks. Although a blink dog shaping the blink shirt soul meld does have some redundancy it gives you more teleports per round. You get a free action teleport from the race, a move action from the bound blink shirt, and a standard action from your swordsage and shadowlord levels.

See that makes a lot more sense now.  Clearly I've never played a Totemist before.

Thanks!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »

See that makes a lot more sense now.  Clearly I've never played a Totemist before.

Thanks!

Start reading.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »
I can't believe the old WoTC boards lost the Revised Blink Dog handbook!  This is like the perfect time for it!  :lol

By the way, I like that shadow-pouncing build below.  Only problem is that it ends up with around 13-15 BAB.  Maybe switch the cobra strike monk for fighter if it's feat heavy (though then you lose that tactical feat for monks, sun soul or whatever).

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »
What's wrong with Blink Dog 6/monk 1/Totemist 2/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Telfmarr Shadowlord 4/Totemist 5 and taking Sun School?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
What's wrong with Blink Dog 6/monk 1/Totemist 2/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Telfmarr Shadowlord 4/Totemist 5 and taking Sun School?

Prereqs probably. Telfmarr is infamous for it's high entry requirements.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »

Prereqs probably. Telfmarr is infamous for it's high entry requirements.
Sneak Attack: gained via Swordsage (Assassin's Stance)
Ability to Dimension Door: Blink Dog racial trait
Skill prereqs: makeable by then
Feat prereqs: a bit more difficult as it takes all of your feats pre-entry, but you do get enough to do it.

It's doable.  Sun School adds one more attack to each shadowpounce, but has to wait until after you take levels in Shadowlord.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
And then requirements of Sun School?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
And then requirements of Sun School?
BAB+4 and Flurry of Blows.  You've got both before you qualify for Shadowlord, but taking it beforehand delays Shadowlord.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
The two levels of monk are for getting evasion and mobility (a TSL prereq) as a bonus feat. You get 16 Bab if you use LA buyoff and fractional BAB with my build. Good saves as well. And sun school only requires flurry of blows and BAB 4 which means that the build qualifies by level 6.

You do not really get much at totemist level 7 so two levels of monk are better. Also with my build you can pick up more third level swordsage maneuvers.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
I'd agree, a 2nd level of Monk for Evasion and a bonus feat is better than 1 more soulmeld and point of essentia.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 04:16:40 AM »

This thread seems as good a time as any to bring up a question I've always had about Blink, Can you sneak attack while blinking?

Blink (Su)

A blink dog can use blink as the spell (caster level 8th), and can evoke or end the effect as a free action.

Blink
Transmutation
Level:    Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components:    V, S
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    1 round/level (D)

If the attacker can see invisible creatures, the miss chance is also only 20%. (For an attacker who can both see and strike ethereal creatures, there is no miss chance.) Likewise, your own attacks have a 20% miss chanceA rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Concealment Miss Chance

Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed concealment (20% miss chance).

This is all I could find in the faq, detailing attacking a blinking creature

Would a sneak attack work on a creature affected by
the blink spell?