Author Topic: Character Creation  (Read 15047 times)

Slate

Re: Character Creation
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
My character speaks every language from the PHB.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
So what do we have in terms of current builds?

Healer 1/Warmage 1/MT 1 here.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »
Druid 3, and looking to take 1 lvl dip into monk at one point. maybe.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
Current build is Chaos Gnome (Magic Blooded) Blue Mage 2. Oh and for reference I didnt steal the idea about Magic Blooded from James. I discussed it with Straw a couple of days ahead of him mentioning it, and posted it here 2 1\2 hours before him...  ;) Just thought it should be said.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:49:23 PM by AlisAtAn »
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »

I've done something similar with a VoP druid before, it was .... impressive. Banned after 2 sessions, something about not being fair that my Dex 3 character had an AC of 37 at 7th level.  :rolleyes

I'll never understand some people.

On topic now, most builds look good, I'll be porting things over here by tonight. That includes some reworks and world history. Specific questions should also be asked now.

As well, I'd like you to tell me some ideas of build & PrC progression you'd like to take for those of you who haven't yet. I'm a bit of a stckler for 'realism' (yeah, yeah, in a world where pigs can fly, take your suspension of disbelief argument elsewhere  :)) so I'd like you to encounter a teacher, guide or manual when appropriate before you suddenly go, "I'm Level 7 I'm an Incantrix now"  Me: " ... You've never heard of much less learnt Incantrix style magic. How?"

Messy  :)
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
whoops wrong thread....  :rolleyes :blush
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
Personally I`ve always considered PRC`s and multiclassing means to an end, not the end. Both flavour and OP wise. Meaning, my blue mage will dip spellthief for 1 lvl next levelup, but he will never think of himself as a Bluemage that also knows how to steal spells. He is an individual gifted with an ability to use others spellcasting to his own means. He starts out as a blue mage, as I consider learning spells more basic than stealing them. As he becomes more experienced in using his natural ability's, he gradually learns how to use others spells directly.
He doesnt have a teacher as I consider him fluff-wise to be unique.

Therefore, Blue Mage2\Spellthief 1 + Master Spellthief feat is the best way to describe his abilities with game mechanics. But if you want me to RP him learning a thing or two from others who walk similar paths I will oblige...

Also, can I have your 5 picked spell-levels for my blue mage before I give you mine? Seeing as I`m playing the thing, I would prefer if I got to adjust my spells to what you throw my way, not the other way around. =)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:26:32 PM by AlisAtAn »
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Personally I`ve always considered PRC`s and multiclassing means to an end, not the end. Both flavour and OP wise. Meaning, my blue mage will dip spellthief for 1 lvl next levelup, but he will never think of himself as a Bluemage that also knows how to steal spells. He is an individual gifted with an ability to use others spellcasting to his own means. He starts out as a blue mage, as I consider learning spells more basic than stealing them. As he becomes more experienced in using his natural ability's, he gradually learns how to use others spells directly.
He doesnt have a teacher as I consider him fluff-wise to be unique.

Therefore, Blue Mage2\Spellthief 1 + Master Spellthief feat is the best way to describe his abilities with game mechanics. But if you want me to RP him learning a thing or two from others who walk similar paths I will oblige...

Also, can I have your 5 picked spell-levels for my blue mage before I give you mine? Seeing as I`m playing the thing, I would prefer if I got to adjust my spells to what you throw my way, not the other way around. =)

Depends on how you want to play it. If your walking your own thing, you might do some research to hear about the Spellthieves of Quay who do something similar. But when the prereqs. call for teaching, or its feel and fludff talk about instruction and knowledge I tend to assume its an organisation you should learn or steal knowledge from.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Lost_Scholar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
Well, I plan on basically sticking to the iconic beguiler build from the Shadowcraft Mage Handbook, so PrC's will include the Shadowcraft Mage and (more than likely) a dip into Mindbender. Will be more than happy to rp entrance into both if you wish Straw_Man.

Current build is draconic lesser deep gnome beguiler 2 focusing on illusions.
"Violence is not the answer, it is the question. And the answer is yes"-a friend.
Vand Merrilin, Lesser Deep Gnome Beguiler 2

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »
My plan is to not worry about PrCs.  Maybe something flavorful like Elemental Savant.  There's the Bonded Summoner, too...  They both would be extremely fitting.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:10:54 PM by jameswilliamogle »

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
Hmmmm. Straw_Man, what are your opinions on the following.

Ignoring alignment restrictions for Monks
Karate Chopping Bears (With IUS)
Exalted Animal Companions, with VOP (Cheese out the window)
Stacking Natural armor from Vop with wildshape form (debatable either way)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:53:19 PM by SixthDeclension »

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »
Hmmmm. Straw_Man, what are your opinions on the following.

Ignoring alignment restrictions for Monks
Karate Chopping Bears (With IUS)
Exalted Animal Companions, with VOP (Cheese out the window)
Stacking Natural armor from Vop with wildshape form (debatable either way)

1) WIthin reason, yes.
2) If your bear qualifies for it you can take it the nest time your bear gets a feat.
3) Unsure, I think I'd want a minimum of 6 in Int & Wis without racial bonuses being factored in.
4) I'd use overlap, highest one is counted.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
1) Simply so I can take a 1 lvl dip into monk
2) I mean me. Karate chopping as a bear with monk levels and flurry of blows
3) Things like unicorns meet such a requirement
4) Okay. Either way works for me.

Just clarifying before I start planning for my complete build. Making sure I the feats I may take arent useless.

And multiattack. Can I take it as my base race if I dont have natural attacks?

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2008, 10:02:34 PM »
1) Simply so I can take a 1 lvl dip into monk
2) I mean me. Karate chopping as a bear with monk levels and flurry of blows
3) Things like unicorns meet such a requirement
4) Okay. Either way works for me.

Just clarifying before I start planning for my complete build. Making sure I the feats I may take arent useless.

And multiattack. Can I take it as my base race if I dont have natural attacks?

I might design a flavoured druidic monk then for flavour, but go ahead.

Probably will use the least favourable reading od flurry, IUS and multiattack conjunction for GB. Let me do some research on that.

Unicorn is thats what your using is fine. Run other options by me first.

How's that?

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Pretty good. I also found Blink Dog for exalted companion, 10 int and lawful good. Is that okay?

Hmmm. I also just noticed that you have "banned polymorph in its current form". What form is it not banned in, as it almost directly affects my wildshape capabilities.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:39:02 AM by SixthDeclension »

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Straw_Man you said over PM you would pick 5 spell levels for my Blue. Can you tell me what you chose? I would like to adjust the 5 spells I get to pick to what you give me. ;)

Slate

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:36 AM »
On topic now, most builds look good, I'll be porting things over here by tonight. That includes some reworks and world history. Specific questions should also be asked now.

As well, I'd like you to tell me some ideas of build & PrC progression you'd like to take for those of you who haven't yet. I'm a bit of a stckler for 'realism' (yeah, yeah, in a world where pigs can fly, take your suspension of disbelief argument elsewhere  ) so I'd like you to encounter a teacher, guide or manual when appropriate before you suddenly go, "I'm Level 7 I'm an Incantrix now"  Me: " ... You've never heard of much less learnt Incantrix style magic. How?"

Well then I'd have to ask how the first Incantatrix came about?  They sure as heck did not need a teacher, guide or manual because none of those things existed for them.

The more you give me about your world, the easier I will find it to make my character's on-paper progression be realistic and make RP sense (although I do already think it makes a lot of sense).  I know I already gave you a mini-backstory that will only become further enhanced the more I know.  We should be starting tomorrow, right?

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 12:40:50 AM »
The progression I made some time ago. I`m having doubts about a few things listed here, I`m taking Spellthief at lvl 3 not 1, I need to find an alternative to the Incantatrix, which dont *really* fit all that well. Will probably take Fatespinner lvls where it says incantatrix if we get that far. Also the feat progression is made with incantatrix in mind so I will change some of it.

[spoiler]
Spellthief       1: Sneak Attack +1d6, Flaw, Flaw, Point Blank Shot ,Iron Will, Empower spell
Blue Mage       1: Blue Magic, Indigo Infusion,
Blue Mage      2: Been there, Done that (+1), FEAT
Blue Mage       3: Creature Magic (+1),
Blue Mage       4: Been there, Done that (+2), +1CHA
Blue Mage       5: Azure Awareness, Master Spellthief
Spellwarp Sniper    1: Spellwarp,
Spellwarp Sniper    2: Sudden Raystrike
Spellwarp Sniper    3: Precise Shot, +1CHA, Rapid Metamagic
Spellwarp Sniper    4: Sudden Raystrike +2d6
Spellwarp Sniper    5: Ray Mastery
Incantatrix       1: Split Ray, Focused study, FEAT, +1CHA
Incantatrix        2: Cooperative Metamagic
Incantatrix        3: Metamagic Effect
Incantatrix      4: FEAT, Chain Spell
Incantatrix      5: Metamagic Spelltrigger, +1CHA
Fatespinner      1: Spin Fate
Fatespinner       2: Fickle Finger of Fate, FEAT
Fatespinner       3: Spin Destiny
Fatespinner       4: Deny Fate, Resist Fate, +1CHA

[/spoiler]

Just rolled for HP.
HP roll. (1d6=6)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:05:48 AM by AlisAtAn »

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2008, 11:51:56 PM »

Alis: I'll have your sapells ready for you in a bit.

Slate: In my world the first Incantrix was the product of research ... years of. Obviously the reaserch once done bacem of bodu of knowledge & technique that could be disseminated easily.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »

Alis your inbox has been full for awhile, so I'm posting it here instead.

Not sure if your going Blue Mage or Spellthief first, but if you are here's the spells you'd know as a 2nd' level Blue Mage.

[spoiler]SRD

Charm Person

Enlarge Person

Complete Arcane

Lesser Orb of Cold

Iron Scarf

Heroes of Horror

Bestow Wound[/spoiler]

If you don't have access to any of these books I'll give you a description of them.