Author Topic: Optimizing a Scout  (Read 10456 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Optimizing a Scout
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
How useful is the Acrobatic Tumbler feat from the PHBII (might have the name wrong - the first feat in PHBII)?  You can't get it until 9th level, but if you tumble passed an opponent you get a +4 bonus to your attack against him.  Since you will likely be tumbling around to activate skirmish, it seems that would be a nice feat to have.
It's one of those number feats, which don't add much, IMHO. Well, it's +4 at least, so.... if you have feats to spare.

I wish I could make up my damn mind.

I got Swift Hunter approved by the DM, which is really nice since we're heading into undead territory very quickly.

I'm starting to play with the idea of picking up a level of Wizard, and going into Unseen Seer.  How well do Unseen Seers function in more of a "rogue" role, as opposed to a mage role?  The d4 HD is also looking.... meager, as I am the beefiest person in the party...

I could enter Unseen Seer as a Scout 2/Wiz 1/Scout +1/Ranger 1, and then get my hands on another scout level soon thereafter.  I could end up with quite a few skirmish dice (+6d6/+1 AC by 16th level) - not "hella awesome," but pretty good.  But my HP's might suck.  And I only have an Intelligence of 14, so I'm playing with the idea of only dipping 4 levels of UnSer, getting 3rd level spells, and +2d6 skirmish, as well as Hunter's Eye.  I'd probably go with Focused Conjurer, as it would give me lots of spell slots, and I could get abrupt jaunt.  I also don't know how available magic items will be, and although it would eat a feat, I could take Craft Magic Arms and Armor, so I could craft a Spectral Dagger (if I can't find one).

Anyway, I'm just spewing out ideas right now.  As I reread the previous posts, I'm liking Swift Ambusher more and more, too.

I wouldn't combine Unseen Seer with skirmish. The synergy isn't so great. Swift ambusher might up the dice for skirmish, but it's overall less good that swift hunter. And it only takes Rogue levels, anyway, of which you shouldn't get too many.

In a roguish role a nice Unseen Seer is Beguiler6 (IIRC, you need the improved hidden casting, so you can feint as a swift action in conjunction with Improved Feint)/US2 or 3/something with full  BAB and all martial profs 1, I suggest Warblade/Abjurant Champion5/Spellsword1 etc. The trouble with Beguiler is the lack of spells that allow repeated touch attacks, and attack bonus will generally suck.

The Wizard variant should rather use a spell to attack, rather than a weapon. It's a bit more flexible, but must use other methods of gaining sneak attack in the first place, such as invis or flanking. It's still really frail, obviously. The beefiest sneak-attack caster is the Stalwart Battle-sorc/Abcha/US/Incant.

IMHO a Swift hunter is really playable with Mystic Ranger (who gets Hunter's Eye, too, pretty early) or Wildshape ranger. You have good damage, good attack bonus, are relatively beefy and the skill list doesn't suck for the most part. Plus the builds are at least fairly simple, you have little MAD.

Of course if you want more casting and more utility, you could also do a Chameleon: The Swift HUnter package is done in 5 levels. It will net you +4d6 (with improved skirmish). You could put a Chameleon on top of that, although i'm not sure about the skills right now. You might want to add a level of Focused Conjurer for Abrupt jaunt and qualification for casting prestige classes. You can then add the advancement to Chameleon arcane casting.
So:
Ranger1/Scout4/Focused Conjurer1, or perhaps even Focused Conjurer with combat wizard sub/Cleric1(Undeath and Travel)/Chameleon10/Unseen Seer3

You get a CL of 24 for divinations, so +8D6 sneak, as well as +4d6 skirmish, and Travel Devotion at least 3/day. With some more feat investment, DMM(persistent) is possible for the divine side of Chameleon. (And actually HUnter's eye is a divine spell, so....)