Author Topic: Martial class re-balance; cheesy spell casters is the baseline.  (Read 1125 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Martial class re-balance; cheesy spell casters is the baseline.
« on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
the intent here is somewhat similar to Frank & K's Tome series. Instead of the work to power down casting, you improve marital classes significantly. It is also an attempt to promote single class characters at least to a level of viability.

General rules:[spoiler]
BAB is at a consistent -5. (ex. +20/+15/+15/+15)
All clerics are cloistered. They don't get the free Knowledge domain.
DIVINE POWER DOES NOT EXIST
Shambling mounds do not exist.
Undead are not immune to mind-affecting spells.
Initiate of Mystra only allows you to cast, it doesn't protect ongoing effects.
No Domain Wizards.
StP Erudite does not exist.
Archivists cannot cast from Alternate Source Spelled Scrolls
Planar Shepard, Master Trasmogrist, Master of Many Forms aren't real. Want to play one? Lets talk about it.
Sanctum Spell cannot be used for items.
Greenbound summoning is a +3 metamagic.
Leadership is banned.
Item familiars are banned.
Aptitude can be used on anything that allows for ONE weapon.
Reserves of Strenght only lets you break CL cap by 3.
Contingencies aren't real.
The generic Polymorph line is banned. (anything allowing a inspecific forms) ((really want it? lets talk about it))
Genesis can't be used for time.
Wish == Miracle.
Cunsumptive Field cannot stack itself.
Forced Dream, Love's Pain, Planar Binding, Planar Ally, Command Undead.
Psionic Lion's Charge is dureation: 1 rouind.
IHS is awesome.
Explosive Runes are banned.
Simulacrum is banned.
Locate City bomb doesn't work because i don't care.
Acorn of Far Travel only allows you to act as if in a Forest for Druid/Ranger spells. that's it.
You cannot be immune to Celerity's Daze.
Nightsticks don't stack.
Thoughtbottle doesn't work.
Vorpal is stupid.
Cantrips are at will.
iTWF and gTWF doesn't exist. They come for free with TWF.
Death effects bring you to -1.

As a general statement, you cannot immune to things. Instead, you get a +20 to resist the effect. And anything that doesn't grant a save, will.[/spoiler]

Monk Theory
What is wrong with the current Monk?
Lack of in combat and out of combat options. That sums it up. They just can't do much. For this reason, they were the first class we tackled.

Goal: To give the monk both ways to shine in and out of combat.
How I believe I reach that goal:
-Diamond Mind rework puts him back in the Defense Powerhouse he was meant to be.
-Wis to physical skills and damage solve the huge MAD problems.
-Wis to physical skills + flight allows him to shine early. He might not fly till late levels but (Ranks+Str+Wis)*3 is going to get you really far on a Jump check.
-Astral Projection when the casters get it. Gives him the second life abilities that they get. But he gets them for free. But only for himself.
-Healing as a swift action allows for better action economy and near immunity to ability damage out of combat.
-Dimension Doors and movement afterwards may act as a pseudo Freedom of Movement to reach casters or avoid AoO.
-Picking the save for Stunning Fist allows for many more options, but against those regularly immune to stuns and those who have great Fort saves.
--Rework of Quivering Palm allows for a larger dominance in combat.

My goal isn't to make an offensive powerhouse, nor a defensive powerhouse. But one strong in both with utility options. How do you think I did?

d8 HD
4+ Skill Points
Autohypnosis is added to skills.
General Martial Weapon Proficiency + the existing random Exotics.

Here is what one looks like at 20 with some good feat choices. Assumes 32 point buy.

EDIT: Posted this late last night. Have since then talked to people on GitP about it. I don't like it anymore. I don't think it solves the fundamental problem that Tier 1 is not about strength, but a utility that cannot be replicated with so few class features. I don't know what to do with this now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:06:19 PM by bearsarebrown »