Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!  (Read 133136 times)

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!
« Reply #780 on: February 27, 2010, 01:43:50 AM »
Q179:If a druid somehow wildshapes into a form that could normally cast spells, can he cast spells while wildshaped without natural spell?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #781 on: February 27, 2010, 01:47:01 AM »
Q179:If a druid somehow wildshapes into a form that could normally cast spells, can he cast spells while wildshaped without natural spell?
A179 yes.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #782 on: February 27, 2010, 01:48:30 AM »

Yes I would have thought if you can make the verbal and somatic components of your spells you can cast but I have yet to see a druid higher than level 6 without natural spell so I doubt it comes up much.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #783 on: February 27, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
A179: Additionally, you need to drop your material components pouch and holy symbol before wild shaping, so that they don't meld.

Hijax

• Donkey Kong
  • Kobolds ate my cookies
« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
q180: What templates is available to constructs? i cant seem to find anything but incarnate construct.

note: we're talking warforged.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:22:39 AM by Hijax »
"There's more to apocalypse than running around like a maniac you know"
-B. M. Evilwizardington.
blogging at disasters made in china

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
q180: What templates is available to constructs? i cant seem to find anything but incarnate construct.
There's one in Dungeonscape. Makes you into a Hive. Other than that, a lot of templates make one into a construct, and can be applied on top of other templates (I really like the one from Lords of Madness).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
Q 181 When using a weapon crystal from MIC, like the True Death Crystal, and a feat like Many Shot, how many arrows are given the additional +1d6? Just the first one, like with sneak attack and favored enemy, or all of them?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
Q 181 When using a weapon crystal from MIC, like the True Death Crystal, and a feat like Many Shot, how many arrows are given the additional +1d6? Just the first one, like with sneak attack and favored enemy, or all of them?

A 181: I would imagine only the first one with Manyshot, and all of them with Greater Manyshot, as with sneak attack/skirmish.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »
It's not precision damage, so I fail to see why. We've always played it as applying to any and all arrows shot by that bow.

A 181: I would imagine only the first one with Manyshot, and all of them with Greater Manyshot, as with sneak attack/skirmish.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #789 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Q 182a: Can a character benefit from/subsume the feats of an integrated being?  Such as from an Item Familiar or Legacy Item that is made from a graft?

Q 182b: What harm would there be in refluffing the "Claws of" series to manifest on unarmed strikes?  I.e. I go Neo on something with the King of Smack, and instead of it looking like I'm going Vishnu war form, it looks like he's getting pummeled.  I see it as artistic license and reflavoring, nothing mechanically different.  Thoughts?

Q 182c: What is the most reliable way of using EK to get additional powers known, assuming a free means of Psychic Chirurgy?

Q 182d: Assuming said [Construct] from 182a has it's own PP reserve (such as Hidden Talent), what is to stop a being with one/two subsumed from utilizing their psionic focus?  And further, if a being can achieve psionic focus, can it not also participate in a Metaconcert?

Note : Cleaned up the numbering on this from the last page, so now it's coherently in line with the thread.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #790 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »
Q 182a: Can a character benefit from/subsume the feats of an integrated being?  Such as from an Item Familiar or Legacy Item that is made from a graft?

Q 182b: What harm would there be in refluffing the "Claws of" series to manifest on unarmed strikes?  I.e. I go Neo on something with the King of Smack, and instead of it looking like I'm going Vishnu war form, it looks like he's getting pummeled.  I see it as artistic license and reflavoring, nothing mechanically different.  Thoughts?

Q 182c: What is the most reliable way of using EK to get additional powers known, assuming a free means of Psychic Chirurgy?

Q 182d: Assuming said [Construct] from 182a has it's own PP reserve (such as Hidden Talent), what is to stop a being with one/two subsumed from utilizing their psionic focus?  And further, if a being can achieve psionic focus, can it not also participate in a Metaconcert?

Note : Cleaned up the numbering on this from the last page, so now it's coherently in line with the thread.

182a. I don't think so, simply because nothing says you can.
182b. Pure refluff(change nothing mechanically but imagine punching in you mind), no real harm. Actually changing them into unarmed strikes? There is room for abuse because you're changing it from Slashing to Bludgeoning. And Unarmed Strikes have a lot more available material to increase size and do silly things with. But I think as long as you don't go crazy with it there really isn't much harm.
182c.If you have free Psychic Chirurgy why do you need EK? Linked PsyRef? Does that answer the question? :P
182d. Same answer as 182a.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #791 on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
Q178: A friend of mine seems to think that either there was an errata that let Monks apply their Unarmed Strike damage to natural attacks or a feat that allows the same, possibly from Dragon.  Ring any bells for anyone?
Beast Strike. You may add your Slam or Claw damage to your unarmed strikes. Not sure on the issue but the fluff behind it is for Shifters. No racial requirements though IIRC.
Dragon 355.  I'm familiar with that one, but it's rather backwards compared to what we're looking for.  Though I'm guessing a misunderstanding of that particular feat is what we're looking at.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: February 27, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
Q183 I am planning a session where most of the players will be getting some nice items with the caveat that they are all horrifyingly made of children's body parts.  I have items made up for everyone in my party except the gnome SCM, I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas?  

Examples:

Spinal cord whip (dagger whip as base)
~Made of connected spinal cords of children with sharpened end
~Screams pleadingly as a tortured child being struck screams out to its mother when used
~Hand is covered in dried blood as long as holding whip.

Styx's Passage
~A skull with two copper coins stuck to it's eye sockets.  Any time the skull's person kills a sentient being or participates in combat that kills said being landing at least one blow, spell, or effect, the copper coins covering the skull's eyes turn into gold coins which can be removed for 2 gold which are replaced by irremovable copper coins until the next kill.  Larger, or special creatures can result in Platinums or gems at the DM's discretion.  Furthermore the skull transforms into a medium sized version of the skull of whatever sentient creature (int +4) who he just killed.  
~When it chooses a person it possesses the attachment qualities of a cursed item toward that person and cannot chose another until the individual's death.
~Magical item takes limited wish or equivalent to destroy

Foot-Staff
~Staff made of leg bones with children's small feet on each end covered in ever preserved flesh, dripping blood which never seems to fall to the ground and leaves the hand of the holder when they release the staff. (Blood is mind altering effect)
~4 leg bones surrounding core staff
~As long as you hold it your movement speed goes up by 10 ft
~Enhancement bonus of the core staff transfers to the new staff.
~Those struck intentionally with a critical hit have DC 15 fort save vs a foot fungus which migrates painfully to their feet and start scratching like the little yellow fungus things in the prescription commercial where they go under your nails and scratch

~They make a fort save every day and if they fail the scratches its way further up their body
~Immediate Effects:
~~Sickened 1d4, Movement speed is cut by half
~~Fort save or cure disease (caster level 13) / high heal check would allow movement speed to increase by 1 foot every day as the wounds of the fungus heal and scar over.
~~After healing your feet, if exposed to the air, smell.  The horrid smell is to be decided from a DM made list and randomly rolled for.
~~Every fort save failed results in 2 dexterity damage.
~~If Dexterity reaches 0 the character is crippled for life.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:12:21 PM by LunaticsLament »
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: February 27, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
Q184  When using Shadow Evocation/Conjuration do you apply metamagic feats as you would to the spells you are mimicking?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
creepy stuff
I suggest that get it's own topic.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
Q184  When using Shadow Evocation/Conjuration do you apply metamagic feats as you would to the spells you are mimicking?

There was a thread discussing this http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6746.0

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #796 on: February 27, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
If you meaan the Monk Unarmed Strike, then you could easily use the weapon versions of the power instead (i.e., Metaphysical Weapon, Weapon of Energy, Vampiric Weapon)  No houseruling needed for that.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: February 27, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
creepy stuff
I suggest that get it's own topic.

Can do.  I thought I'd play it safe and throw it in here first.
~Robert Heinlein

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #798 on: February 27, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »
Question 185

I need a quick build critique! So far the build is looking like a male Human Warlock 4/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3 (stat array of Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 15, and Cha 14 at first level). Feats are looking like: Scribe Scroll [1st], Able Learner [Human], Education [Flaw], Spell Focus (Evil) [Flaw], Craft Wondrous Item [3rd], Iron Will [Otyugh Hole], Leadership [6th], Fly-By Attack [9th], Landlord [12th], Craft Contingent Spell [15th] and Extra Invocation [18th].

1.) Do I need Able Learner? It's only there to sustain skill points in Use Magical Device. If it isn't I've thought about Dreadful Wrath instead.

2.) Would it be more advantageous to try to fit in the DMM (Persistent Spell) series?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: February 27, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
Q 186: Where are the rules on the creation of cursed items.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.