Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!  (Read 133121 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!
« Reply #440 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
sadly, it seems that the telepathic static "negates the telepathy of creatures within 20ft" instead  of making a 20ft radius deadzone. yeah, it stops mindsight, but only when you get within 20 ft of them.
Really, that can be read either way.  Considering the other part of it interferes with divination spells looking at the area, it could easily be interpreted to block Mindsight from detecting that area as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:30:33 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
Teleport within 20 ft, shadowdancer possibly to hide at the end?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:59 PM »
Q 110: Is there any rules reason to keep me from storing hunderds of cantrips in a single ring of spell storing?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
Q 110: Is there any rules reason to keep me from storing hunderds of cantrips in a single ring of spell storing?

Cantrips are usually counted as level 1/2 for that kind of thing i think...

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #444 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »

I assume they count as 1/2 a spell level like they do for everything else.

sadly, it seems that the telepathic static "negates the telepathy of creatures within 20ft" instead  of making a 20ft radius deadzone. yeah, it stops mindsight, but only when you get within 20 ft of them.

Is also a grammatically correct reading. The 'of creatures' denotes the source of the telepathy.
And the interpretation is supported by the Divination blocking, as snakeman said.

But it's really unclear. I would rule on my reading of it if only to have some passive counter to Mindsight.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: February 18, 2010, 10:50:13 PM »

Can you point at any errata that fixes the lack of mention of the half value of a cantrip for rings of spell storing, because I can't see a RAW reason it wouldn't work.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »

sadly, it seems that the telepathic static "negates the telepathy of creatures within 20ft" instead  of making a 20ft radius deadzone. yeah, it stops mindsight, but only when you get within 20 ft of them.

Is also a grammatically correct reading. The 'of creatures' denotes the source of the telepathy.
And the interpretation is supported by the Divination blocking, as snakeman said.

But it's really unclear. I would rule on my reading of it if only to have some passive counter to Mindsight.

So full proof counter measures are AMF, Golems and mindless beings of the sort. Telepathic static kills telepathy in within an area of 20 feet around the person that has it, so that can still alert the character that has Mindsight if the character with static knocks off someone else who was already detected, it can work, but its not full proof. I just needed to make sure because its my last line of detection in a evil epic level campaign as a Wizard, and it seems up to the task, thanks for the help guys.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »

Can you point at any errata that fixes the lack of mention of the half value of a cantrip for rings of spell storing, because I can't see a RAW reason it wouldn't work.
Just off the top of my head, (for example) the rules for item creation tell you to count 0-level spells as 1/2 for pricing.  I know that there are other references to 0-level spells being counted as 1/2 (but those references escape me for the moment).  
I think that the intent is pretty clear -- but it you're just looking for a loophole to exploit, then I don't know what to tell you.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
touchsight seems to be the only detection method with no bypass that doesn't alert the user that it is being bypassed.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #449 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
touchsight seems to be the only detection method with no bypass that doesn't alert the user that it is being bypassed.

Being incorporeal stops it.
Transdimensional touchsight though... now that's what's hard to stop.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #450 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
So full proof counter measures are AMF, Golems and mindless beings of the sort. Telepathic static kills telepathy in within an area of 20 feet around the person that has it, so that can still alert the character that has Mindsight if the character with static knocks off someone else who was already detected, it can work, but its not full proof. I just needed to make sure because its my last line of detection in a evil epic level campaign as a Wizard, and it seems up to the task, thanks for the help guys.
Just watch out for shadowdancer/Hellbreakers coming out of your shadow and sneak attacking you and you should be fine.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #451 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
Q111: Does a Wizard 3 with Alternate Source Spell gain caster level or caster progression from Mystic Theurge? My guess is its no to both because wizard isn't a 'divine spellcasting class,' but something tells me there could be a variant...

Sorry for the whopper guys  :bigeye
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
Just watch out for shadowdancer/Hellbreakers coming out of your shadow and sneak attacking you and you should be fine.
Or pun-pun, of course.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #453 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »

wth are those? :o *goes looking!!*

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: February 19, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »
Q112: Shadow Jump (Su): At 4th level, a shadowdancer gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. Would the spell 'Anticipate teleportation' delay the shadowdancer's shadow jump ability because its teleportaion based?(dimension door)

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #455 on: February 19, 2010, 12:15:39 AM »
Q112: Shadow Jump (Su): At 4th level, a shadowdancer gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. Would the spell 'Anticipate teleportation' delay the shadowdancer's shadow jump ability because its teleportaion based?(dimension door)

A112:
yes, because D-door has the [teleport] descriptor. for the same reason, a telflammar shadowlord can use shadow jump to trigger shadow pounce.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: February 19, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »

A112:
yes, because D-door has the [teleport] descriptor. for the same reason, a telflammar shadowlord can use shadow jump to trigger shadow pounce.

Then No Littha, I don't have to worry about either Shawdancer, because his Shadow Hop get delayed 3 rounds :fo, rofl....and same for the Hellbreaker if she hops on a spell :fo, although she can also use plane hop, but getting next to me using that is impossible due to its 5 to 500 mile margin of error :fo  So I'm fairly safe :D :D :D

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #457 on: February 19, 2010, 12:49:15 AM »
Q113: How much would a houserule giving characters a dodge bonus to AC equal to 1/2 BAB change the game?  How much would it change if I only gave it to martial classes (i.e., classes with no spellcasting)?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
Q113: How much would a houserule giving characters a dodge bonus to AC equal to 1/2 BAB change the game?  How much would it change if I only gave it to martial classes (i.e., classes with no spellcasting)?

It wouldn't change much, but it would make ranged touch attacks a lot more difficult, especially against high-HD monsters. Still, it would help out the non-casters, who seriously need the help, so I don't see any real problem with it.

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »

It would surely make it harder for casters to land ranged touch attacks because of their poor BAB, and will give fighters a much better chance against them from about level 6 to about 14 or so, as for monks, they especially become alot more troublesome for casters to handle.