Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!  (Read 133133 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Attack the Darkness!
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
Q 50: As my dream omniblast doesn't seem to exist, what would such a spell sound like, levelwise?  Basic statistics would be 1d6/CL, Long range RTA, and SR/Save No since it would be [Fire].  Feel about level 6-ish tops?  I guess the other option is 3 levels of Spellwarp Sniper...

the psionic power Concussion Blast is Level 2, medium range, 1d6 Force damage, subject to PR, No save, and can be augmented for an extra 1d6/2 power points and affect one extra target within 15 feet per 2 power points.  It's not a radius either, you just need each target to be within 15 feet of at least one other target.

I mean, depending on how high you can get your manifester level, is that the sort of what you were looking for?

Hmm...that's close, for sure.  I think the root of it is trying to find a way to turn an AoE into an RTA without Spellwarp Sniper.  Ocular Spell, perhaps?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Deathcharge01

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
Q 50: As my dream omniblast doesn't seem to exist, what would such a spell sound like, levelwise?  Basic statistics would be 1d6/CL, Long range RTA, and SR/Save No since it would be [Fire].  Feel about level 6-ish tops?  I guess the other option is 3 levels of Spellwarp Sniper...

the psionic power Concussion Blast is Level 2, medium range, 1d6 Force damage, subject to PR, No save, and can be augmented for an extra 1d6/2 power points and affect one extra target within 15 feet per 2 power points.  It's not a radius either, you just need each target to be within 15 feet of at least one other target.

I mean, depending on how high you can get your manifester level, is that the sort of what you were looking for?

Hmm...that's close, for sure.  I think the root of it is trying to find a way to turn an AoE into an RTA without Spellwarp Sniper.  Ocular Spell, perhaps?

Q55:With that said, would Rapid spell change the discharge time of Ocular spell from a full round to a standard action?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:25:50 AM by Deathcharge01 »
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
A52 You got the major ones. Past that you will have to get creative. My very cheesy CoDzilla build could auto-dispel the AOE dispels of a near army of level 20 wizards.

Page bump or new thread? You decide:
Q49:
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
A55: No. It would only govern the casting time of the spell you Ocularized in the first place.

Q56: There used to be an index of spells to help with planar binding, particularly those of the Sorcerer/Wizard variety, but I haven't been able to find it. Is it still around? If so, could I trouble the CO World for a link?

Q56a: If the guide is gone, what are some ways to ensure the effectiveness of Planar Binding, ie. giving boosts to the charisma checks and the like?
This space intentionally left blank.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Q57:What would the attack routine of a 14th level sharn with improved multi weapon fighting look like?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
Q58: Can I get both a Profane and a Sacred bonus to the same thing, or are they the same type, just different-aligned? Do they perhaps counter each other? Or are they compatible?

Specifically, can I get Inner Beauty / Righteous Aura for +4 Sacred to CHA and Devil's Ego for +4 Profane to CHA or a Lilitu's Gift for +2 Profane to CHA? I'm thinking yes, but it seems odd.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
A58: They're different kinds of bonuses, so they stack. It does seem a little strange, but there's nothing that says otherwise, and it does sort of play into the idea of walking the line between good and evil.
This space intentionally left blank.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
Q59: I just noticed the Wild Talent feat in LoM that gives you two psy power points and gain access to psionic feats but do not gain the ability to manifest just because of the feat.  I am not entirely familiar with psionics, but what are some of the uses this could be put to on an arcane character if one is not worrying about being feat starved.  I am particularly playing an SCM and was thinking it might open something interesting.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »
Q59: I just noticed the Wild Talent feat in LoM that gives you two psy power points and gain access to psionic feats but do not gain the ability to manifest just because of the feat.  I am not entirely familiar with psionics, but what are some of the uses this could be put to on an arcane character if one is not worrying about being feat starved.  I am particularly playing an SCM and was thinking it might open something interesting.
For an arcane caster, the only things it really opens up that are interesting are a couple of feats (Speed of Thought, for example) and the ability to take 15 on a Concentration check by expending your focus.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
For an arcane caster, the only things it really opens up that are interesting are a couple of feats (Speed of Thought, for example) and the ability to take 15 on a Concentration check by expending your focus.

The taking 15 sounds good.  Am I right in assuming that expending your focus is the use of one of your daily power points?
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

The taking 15 sounds good.  Am I right in assuming that expending your focus is the use of one of your daily power points?
No. Assuming or expending psionic focus doesn't cost anything but actions. However, you can only assume psionic focus if you have power points left (which you will always have if you don't have a way of expending them). You can read up on it here.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:12 PM »
Q60: Am I the only one that thinks the Well of Many Worlds should be a minor artifact instead of a wonderous item?  I see too much game destruction potential with that item.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
Question 61

In relation to the Warlock and being able to cast in light armor, if I make a suit of medium or heavy armor be considered light (through the half-weight enchantment) will that carry over to letting the warlock still use his invocations?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
Question 61

In relation to the Warlock and being able to cast in light armor, if I make a suit of medium or heavy armor be considered light (through the half-weight enchantment) will that carry over to letting the warlock still use his invocations?
If it says it's considered light armor it's considered light armor for all purposes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

gemsna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Question 62
 Prolly has been asked/debated somewhere in the past but anyway.

Can I as King of smack wannabe pick Improved Natural Attack, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike or will I receive banhammer from the DM?
 Yes Elan. Yes I refer to claws of the beast not my "real" claws due to ...whatever reason I might have claws.
 Do they fill the requirements for these 3 feats?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:13:52 PM by gemsna »
A:Statement B is false
 B:Statement A is true

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
Question 61
 Prolly has been asked/debated somewhere in the past but anyway.

Can I as King of smack wannabe pick Improved Natural Attack, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike or will I receive banhammer from the DM?
 Yes Elan. Yes I refer to claws of the beast not my "real" claws due to ...whatever reason I might have claws.
 Do they fill the requirements for these 3 feats?
Yes, yes, and yes, but they gain no benefit unless the claws are manifested.  If you want to get around this annoyance, I'm pretty sure there are feats or items (including at least one graft) that give claw attacks if your DM says no.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Question 63

I'm a little confused on how Ur-Priest caster level interacts with other prestige classes that progress spellcasting. If the Ur-Priest spellcasting is progressed is the caster level as well or does it switch back to half of every class that isn't Ur-Priest levels? This is relation build comprised of Warlock 4/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
Question 63

I'm a little confused on how Ur-Priest caster level interacts with other prestige classes that progress spellcasting. If the Ur-Priest spellcasting is progressed is the caster level as well or does it switch back to half of every class that isn't Ur-Priest levels? This is relation build comprised of Warlock 4/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3.
if it is progressing urpriest, it progresses ur priest caster levels like any normal level taken in ur priest.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
Question 63

if it is progressing urpriest, it progresses ur priest caster levels like any normal level taken in ur priest.

So calculating it out it looks like the caster level will be 15, but do I add the advancement of warlock casting from Eldritch Disciple on top of that as well?

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
Question 64:

Is there any way (pre-epic) to use your wisdom modifier in place of your dexterity modifier for the purpose of reflex saves?

Edit: Preferably not a class ability, unless that class provides spellcasting progression.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:56:46 PM by behaigo »
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!