Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91699 times)

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
Q23
Does moment of prescience apply to initiative checks?  The spell's description implies not, but I seek an official verdict on this.

Initiative checks are dexterity checks, so you can use Moment of Prescience to get a bonus on initiative. 

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »
Q 26

If a eidolon takes multiattack at level 1, at level 9 when it gets it from creature progression does it get imp multiattack or does he have 2 feats that do the same thing?

A26:  It's got two feats that do the same thing.  If a progression grants you a feat that you already have, you only get the next in the chain or pick a different one if it explicitly says so.

Q27:  Can you use Vital Strike to make an attack of opportunity?
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
A27
afaik AoO arent standard actions, so no

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »
Q23
Does moment of prescience apply to initiative checks?  The spell's description implies not, but I seek an official verdict on this.

Initiative checks are dexterity checks, so you can use Moment of Prescience to get a bonus on initiative. 

nope.  It still specifies "Opposed"  initiative checks are not opposed
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Q23

nope.  It still specifies "Opposed"  initiative checks are not opposed
Disagree entirely
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
A27

Vital Strike doesn't say anything about standard actions.  It says "when you use the attack action."
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2010, 12:24:06 AM »
A27

Vital Strike doesn't say anything about standard actions.  It says "when you use the attack action."
check the actions section of pathfinder. Attack action is a standard action used to make a single attack if PF, unlike normal 3.x.

That said, Bulman himself said vital strike works with spring attack specifically, because he thought it would be neat and violated his own rules in a module with it, so he made a special case exception for that combination. Seriously. Check the Errata and FAQ for it >.<
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
A27

Vital Strike doesn't say anything about standard actions.  It says "when you use the attack action."
check the clarification at the SRD:

The benefit of this feat can be read as the following, as it is clearer on how Vital Strike functions:

Benefit: As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus that deals extra damage equal to the weapon's base damage dice (a light crossbow would gain +1d8, a greatsword would gain +2d6). This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit (other damage bonuses are multiplied normally).

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »
A27

check the clarification at the SRD:

The benefit of this feat can be read as the following, as it is clearer on how Vital Strike functions:

Benefit: As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus that deals extra damage equal to the weapon's base damage dice (a light crossbow would gain +1d8, a greatsword would gain +2d6). This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit (other damage bonuses are multiplied normally).
It's a change to how Attack action is treated in PF vs 3.x. In 3.x it's just a single attack, regardless of action. In PF, an attack action is a standard action used to make an attack.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »
Q:28 Does the Totem Transformation ability gained by animal shamans (APG page 102) replace a standard druid class feature?
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • Horror Movie Fans
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »
Q:28 Does the Totem Transformation ability gained by animal shamans (APG page 102) replace a standard druid class feature?

A28:  No.  The only part of the Animal Shamans that replace a class feature are the bonus feats and Totemic Summons(replacing Venom Immunity and A Thousand Faces respectively).  Everything else either gets moved around(e.g. Wild Shape at 6th level instead of 4th) or changed slightly(e.g. Nature's Bond selections).
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:06 AM »
Heh. For kicks, check out what people though a while back.

Bear in mind that is talking about the Beta version, some stuff changed between Beta and Final.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »
Bear in mind that is talking about the Beta version, some stuff changed between Beta and Final.
Psionic bears, brr....
What did happen?
- Bard song got nerf'd - I think they got a few more goodies
- Wizard specialization was changed, and the abilities got bound to wizard level, not caster level
- Paladin became awesome
- Monk's flurry got better
- Barbarian got worse, but simpler to play. many abilities became available 1/rage, instead of shortening the duration.
- Sorcerer, Fighter, Rogue and Ranger stayed the same, pretty much.
- Cleric domains were changed back, for the most part - they were incompatible with splat domains, and keeping compatibility/portability WAS one of the concerns, after all...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
Psionic bears, brr....
What did happen?
- Bard song got nerf'd - I think they got a few more goodies[/s]
- Wizard specialization was changednerfed some, and the abilities got bound to wizard level, not caster level
- Paladin became awesome, finally after all the continuous nerfings during beta
- Monk's flurry got better
- Barbarian got worse, but simpler to play. many abilities became available 1/rage, instead of shortening the duration.
- Sorcerer, Fighter, Rogue and Ranger stayed the same, pretty much.
- Cleric domains were changed back, for the most part - they were incompatible with splat domains, and keeping compatibility/portability WAS one of the concerns, after all...
Minor corrections, but you were correct for the most part. The biggest reason they changed the Barbarian rage stuff was because of backwards compat issues. Of which there are still a ton.

Then again, I didn't see why they felt the need to reduce the extra smites or rages from the Extra X feats down to what they did, either. Smite, maybe, rage? No.

Granted, Bard-song has entirely too short of a duration now, especially at low levels, especially if you want to use it for more than one fight a day now.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
What grinded my gears the most was the change to the Barbarian's rage powers. Specifically strength surge, I know it could be abused by a grappler but it gave my Barbarian super powers, I was able to pick up and throw a Fire Giant into another Fire Giant and generally hulk out! You can still do that, but only once per rage which is a downer.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
What grinded my gears the most was the change to the Barbarian's rage powers. Specifically strength surge, I know it could be abused by a grappler but it gave my Barbarian super powers, I was able to pick up and throw a Fire Giant into another Fire Giant and generally hulk out! You can still do that, but only once per rage which is a downer.
Not to mention, the rage powers that give you low-light vision and/or darkvision (if you don't already have low-light, you can't take the darkvision one. See where I'm going with this?) are still included as choices. Out of all the rage powers, there's only enough "useful" ones to fill your maximum number of selections, anyhow. The rest are useless, dumb, or quite obviously weaker than the others.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »
]Not to mention, the rage powers that give you low-light vision and/or darkvision (if you don't already have low-light, you can't take the darkvision one. See where I'm going with this?) are still included as choices. Out of all the rage powers, there's only enough "useful" ones to fill your maximum number of selections, anyhow. The rest are useless, dumb, or quite obviously weaker than the others.

The APG adds a whole bunch of new rage powers, there should be at least 5 worth taking in there. Maybe not enough to have a theme but enough to do a little extra. The ACFs for Barbarians primarily replace the crappy class features like trap sense and fast movement, so are with switching for despite their general weakness.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
That was my point. There are not few enough good powers to make the shitty ones worth it. They will never be taken in 99% of regular games, ever. And with the APG, that made even that likelihood much smaller.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]