Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91705 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:59 AM »
So it did. People don't like Pathfinder? I mean, there's the usual 'they changed it now it sucks', and 'they didn't change it enough -there's no point', and 'it's just somebody's house rules', but most of the changes are nice. Sure, Assassin is RUINED FOREVER, and several classes are still kinda meh, but all in all it's nice. The CMB mechanic has, as it turns out via APG, the benefit that you can basically use it to adjucate any unordinary combat situation. Like throwing sand into someone's eyes to make them blind for a round. :)
Eh, all in all, I like it. Without any 1st-level HP bonuses, it even has that gritty feeling where a housecat can kill you.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
A large part is that it was a lateral change. Itwasn't the vast improvement it touted itself as, and it requires a very thorough scouring to not miss changes to things:  for instance spell sharing with a familiar.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 01:32:32 AM »
And a 500 gp magic item does it for all armor. 

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
A large part is that it was a lateral change. Itwasn't the vast improvement it touted itself as, and it requires a very thorough scouring to not miss changes to things:  for instance spell sharing with a familiar.

This is what gets me, a lot of things where lateral changes, when they decided to ignore backwards compatibility they did it inconsistently. For instance a lot of people complained that Monks had a hard time in combat, they didn't give them full BAB but changed their flurry progression in a weird way. The did fix the Paladin, suped up the Sorcerer and made Barbarians more interesting, I just don't understand why they didn't do anything like that to the classes I felt needed it the most, the Monk and the Bard.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »

This is what gets me, a lot of things where lateral changes, when they decided to ignore backwards compatibility they did it inconsistently. For instance a lot of people complained that Monks had a hard time in combat, they didn't give them full BAB but changed their flurry progression in a weird way. The did fix the Paladin, suped up the Sorcerer and made Barbarians more interesting, I just don't understand why they didn't do anything like that to the classes I felt needed it the most, the Monk and the Bard.
because jason self-admitted he felt certain classes should have the power level and abilities they did because of rp reasons. Several times. On his own beta forums.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
I never saw those messages, I find that decision odd since you can always sandbag a character.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »
During beta 1 and 2, mostly paladin subforum, but also within the bard,monk,and barb ones. It's why the final paladin is so much better than the beta 1 or 2 ones, and why the barbarian rage powers still include low-light vision as a rage ability >.<

The paladin changes required two consultants walking out of the project for him to change, since prior to beta3 it was weaker than 3.5's core paladin.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
Seriously? A mithril breastplate is still medium armor?
Well,  yes. Except it has less check penalty and spell failure and doesn't slow you down as much... but still requires medium armor proficiency, and hinders Bard casting.
OH! I was thinking more for it counting as light armour. Like does mithril in PF still count as light armour when you sleep in it?

It does and it doesn't. You need to be proficient in medium armor to use it without penalty, but it counts as light armor for all other purposes.  :rollseyes

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
Seriously? A mithril breastplate is still medium armor?
Well,  yes. Except it has less check penalty and spell failure and doesn't slow you down as much... but still requires medium armor proficiency, and hinders Bard casting.
OH! I was thinking more for it counting as light armour. Like does mithril in PF still count as light armour when you sleep in it?

It does and it doesn't. You need to be proficient in medium armor to use it without penalty, but it counts as light armor for all other purposes.  :rollseyes
Ah, okay. I'm fine with that. That was something a lot of people had debated on various forums for a long time now, and different DMs did it different ways regardless.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »
Well...
Monks, I'm not sure either why they couldn't just give them full BAB and so, but monk has full BAB, full TWF tree, Deadly Stroke AND a slight boon when power attacking.... When using the full attack action and flurrying. Putting them on Ki point system was good, but not enough - I took a look at the Beta monk recently and it's not that great. Also, all the new options they put in Stunning Fist is easy to miss if you're not paying attention. I mean Fatigued, Staggered, Blind or Deaf? And so forth. that's pretty sweet, if you're a tactical type.
(that being said, they _really_ should qualify for Two-weapon defense and two-weapon rend automatically...)

you'd still want to roll stats and if you rolled really well, THEN play monk, ideally, though.

Bards - it's hard to miss, but whilst they nerfed songs SO hard - not to un-usability, but still - they gave them a TON more spells known. The fact they get a first level spell at first level is no small thing, and only counting spell levels 1-6, they know more spells than the sorcerer does.

Also, the fact they get a rather hefty bonus on all skills, means that putting 1 point in a skill pumps it directly to usability. Versatile Performance effectively gives you 3 skills for the price of one every time you get it, and...

Yeah, there's some neat things for bards.

Assassin is RUINED FOREVER. :P

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
If only because they no longer have spells. They're thinking of bringing a variant assassin that does have spells, but it'll be named something different. It's sounding like it'll be a variant assassin/rogue combo base class, much like how they took out the blackguard, and now just have a CE anti-paladin base class instead. I don't hate that idea.

I know a few people who absolutely hate the new bard and monk. I know a few people for 3.5 that went up as a monk, and added the TWF tree, as well as Snap Kick, and other feats so that they'd have a ridiculous number of attacks. Now they can't do that because it's already been added.

Q 23 Just read over the Witch. Is Wizard still the better of the two? I actually kind of like those hexes, but the witch still seems a little limiting.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
If only because they no longer have spells. They're thinking of bringing a variant assassin that does have spells, but it'll be named something different. It's sounding like it'll be a variant assassin/rogue combo base class, much like how they took out the blackguard, and now just have a CE anti-paladin base class instead. I don't hate that idea.

I know a few people who absolutely hate the new bard and monk. I know a few people for 3.5 that went up as a monk, and added the TWF tree, as well as Snap Kick, and other feats so that they'd have a ridiculous number of attacks. Now they can't do that because it's already been added.

Q 23 Just read over the Witch. Is Wizard still the better of the two? I actually kind of like those hexes, but the witch still seems a little limiting.
It only took 2.something years for the Antipaladin, which was promised shortly after going publish on PF. Don't have high hopes on the spellcasting assassin to come out anytime soon.

Wizard has a more flexible spell list, with more options. Witch can recover their destroyed spellbook easier, but that's really it. Wizards have school specs for minor options, but really the Witch is slightly less powerful than a wizard in most games.

That said, constantly cackling to perma-extend a Fortune boost on the glasscannon/high damage beatstick is hilarious. Especially since Cackle effects ALL hexes of the listed types, so just keep throwing out fortune on your allies, misfortune on your enemies, and burning your move to maintain them all the entire fight.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

soulsabre345

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »
Q 24
Does the elemental summoning reserve feat apply to the summon monster SLAs a summoner gets? (using the level of summon monster as the level of the spell)

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
A24

I'd say no, but summoners can learn summon monster, so they can use that with elemental summoning.

Zemyla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Rampant Changeling Fetishist
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
Q25: I've actually read the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide, and the summoner gets spells on his list there that he doesn't get on the version on the PFSRD.  Since the Advanced Player's Guide is OGL, why aren't the spells on the SRD?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
A25 Someone messed up?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
Q25: I've actually read the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide, and the summoner gets spells on his list there that he doesn't get on the version on the PFSRD.  Since the Advanced Player's Guide is OGL, why aren't the spells on the SRD?
Because they cannot update the SRD with the published version (instead of the final playtest, which is up there now) until saturday of this week. It's a "must have 2 weeks between release and posting it on the SRD to fuel sales" agreement. The APG version is the most current version, as of right now.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
Q23
Does moment of prescience apply to initiative checks?  The spell's description implies not, but I seek an official verdict on this.

Q24
I'm a bit confused on energy resistance.  Let's assume I have resist energy (fire) cast on me to negate the first 10 points of fire damage from each attack.

I hit someone protected by Holocaust Cloak (Tome of Battle 54) that should hurt me for 5 fire damage.  He is also warded by fire shield which should hurt me for 15 fire damage.  How much fire damage do I take?

Do things change if I have fire resist 10 from a source besides resist energy?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
A24, it can get confusing, but any effect that happens simultaneously counts against resistance once. If both properties activate on-hit, then resist energy only protects against the sum of fire damage once.

soulsabre345

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2010, 01:26:32 AM »
Q 26

If a eidolon takes multiattack at level 1, at level 9 when it gets it from creature progression does it get imp multiattack or does he have 2 feats that do the same thing?