Author Topic: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.  (Read 91771 times)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: [PATHFINDER] Ask a simple question, get a silly- I mean, simple answer.
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
In the back of the book, it references level to mean class level unless otherwise specified.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
In the back of the book, it references level to mean class level unless otherwise specified.
In the book, on page 31, top left, last paragraph of the Multiclassing,
Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.

It's not in the SRD, I just double-checked. The "Level" entry several pages earlier also states the three types of level: class, character, and spell. Caster-level is a different entry. It's lazy, but PF has the same caveat as 3.5 on that. However, in 3.5, it's listed in the domains section (either in the magic chapter, or in the cleric class desc) that effects are based on cleric level.

Stunning Fist uses are, indeed, equal to monk level + 1/4 levels in non-monk classes. It says as much in the feat.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.
However, in 3.5, it's listed in the domains section (either in the magic chapter, or in the cleric class desc) that effects are based on cleric level.
Stunning Fist uses are, indeed, equal to monk level + 1/4 levels in non-monk classes. It says as much in the feat.

You misunderstand.  I was saying that, if what you seemed to be saying was an accurate description of the rules, stunning fist uses would be equal to monk level + 1/4 levels in a single non-monk class.  However, since you apparently didn't mean what you said to be quite the sweeping generality it sounded like, that hypothetical scenario isn't really relevant. 

vrischika111

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 06:21:41 AM »

most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class

this is clear. if it's not based on level in that class (and as such, an exception) it must be explicitly explained
(like in the stunning fist example)
Do it. Or don't do it. But never regret !

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
A18: Probably? There might be penalties depending on the type of animal.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »
if it's not based on level in that class (and as such, an exception) it must be explicitly explained

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
Q19
If I use Lightning Stance, can I effectively Hide In Plain Sight anywhere I like, the following round?
You have Concealment, so I'd say yes.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

soulsabre345

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
Q20

For a eidolon's attacks, is it right that if you build one with 6 claw attacks each claw attack uses full strength instead of half strength? (claws marked as primary, and it says earlier primary gain full strength. but can't a creature only have 1 primary attack and the others are secondary? P60, under evolutions)

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »
Q20

For a eidolon's attacks, is it right that if you build one with 6 claw attacks each claw attack uses full strength instead of half strength? (claws marked as primary, and it says earlier primary gain full strength. but can't a creature only have 1 primary attack and the others are secondary? P60, under evolutions)

I actually asked one of the devs about this at GenCon.  It's apparently one of the things that PF changes about monsters - they can have more than one primary attack.  So if your eidolon has a bite and two claws, they all do full strength and none of them take the -5 attack penalty.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

soulsabre345

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »
Q22
(ASF = arcane spell failure chance)

for a summoner, they can cast in light armor without ASF. Can that be counted as if they can ignore ASF 20% or lower?

i'm asking in the sense of if you wanted to make a summoner that uses medium armor, would arcane armor training make it so that you could ignore ASF 30% or lower or does it not matter that you can use light armor without ASF in regards to medium armor without ASF

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
Nope, it simply negates arcane spell failure for armor of that category and is not a spell failure reductor.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
Also, keep in mind in Pathfinder, Mithril doesn't change the category of armor. While you move like the lighter category, it specifically calls out that it's treated as it's normal armor category for class features that have limitations (rangers, barbarians, ASF ignoring features like the bards, etc1.)
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
Also, keep in mind in Pathfinder, Mithril doesn't change the category of armor. While you move like the lighter category, it specifically calls out that it's treated as it's normal armor category for class features that have limitations (rangers, barbarians, ASF ignoring features like the bards, etc1.)
Seriously? A mithril breastplate is still medium armor?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:41 AM »
Seriously? A mithril breastplate is still medium armor?
Well,  yes. Except it has less check penalty and spell failure and doesn't slow you down as much... but still requires medium armor proficiency, and hinders Bard casting.
OH! I was thinking more for it counting as light armour. Like does mithril in PF still count as light armour when you sleep in it?

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
nope, but Endurance now allows sleeping in light or medium armor, and is a prereq for Horiz. walker, and THAT now can grant some flight and ethereal jaunt in addition to dim.door and tremorsense. By Character Level 9. (well, one of those.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 12:47:47 AM »
nope, but Endurance now allows sleeping in light or medium armor, and is a prereq for Horiz. walker, and THAT now can grant some flight and ethereal jaunt in addition to dim.door and tremorsense. By Character Level 9. (well, one of those.)
No wonder so many people don't like Pathfinder, or house rule 3.5 stuff back into it.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
Endurance already didthat in 3.5...
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]