Author Topic: modern military maps  (Read 2706 times)

ubdu

• Monkey bussiness
modern military maps
« on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »
Hi, I'm completely new to D20 Modern and I am beginning preparations to run a present-day campaign for my players. I'm so new that the Core Rulebook is still en route to my flgs for me.

What I am looking for are modern-day military maps for various areas, such as an army base installation and a missile silo, at the very least. Can you guys please point me to any sourcebooks, adventures, or free online resources that would have these things?

Through my noob google search I have found Weekend Warriors from 12 to Midnight. It seems to be only in PDF though, and I prefer print.

Thanks in advance.

Hinthas

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: modern military maps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
Look around at your local military surplus stores for military maps. They should be where any of the military manuals are. Once you find one PM me. I'll try to give you a hand on how to read one.
I am the thing that goes bump in the night and then I'll go, "F**k, that was my toe!"

Founder of the Rackhirean Social Club. Abusing and Terrifying players for  years and ourselves in the off season.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
Oh, hey ubdu.
I answered your post in the d20 Modern boards, advising you to come over here. I see that advice was unnecessary.
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=997.0
The Self-Proclaimed General Pulp/SteamPunk/Occult/Nazi thread! Drop by.

http://tema69.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt account. Check by the gallery and drop a comment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2528.0
Download my "Action Movie Realism" Rules* as well as my WW2 Supplement.
P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

Melblen_Cairn

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »
I use Wikipedia to find the names and locations of certain bases I am interested in then I use Live Search Maps which uses Microsoft Virtual Earth. You can can zoom in pretty close to some. Doesn't solve the "in-print" requirement but you can get some great references to draw your own from it. Hope that helps a bit.  :)
Wisdom has two parts; Having a lot to say and not saying it.

GM for Dawn of Defiance
Eliana Toiba Abijah in Isle Noir: Bad Karma.
Rose Marie Wentworth in The Artifact: Prologue

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:45:50 AM »
I use Wikipedia to find the names and locations of certain bases I am interested in then I use Live Search Maps which uses Microsoft Virtual Earth. You can can zoom in pretty close to some. Doesn't solve the "in-print" requirement but you can get some great references to draw your own from it. Hope that helps a bit.  :)

I use google maps...and then print it out,depedning on the printer it may be in color or it may be black and white.
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Hinthas

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 06:15:04 AM »
Yes, but there's not many feelings like, " The weapons cache is at EN6732/0928" and when the players see that there was a nearby ridge that could have held snipers or would have been great for cover fire on the map, things get interesting.
I am the thing that goes bump in the night and then I'll go, "F**k, that was my toe!"

Founder of the Rackhirean Social Club. Abusing and Terrifying players for  years and ourselves in the off season.

Melblen_Cairn

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
I like google maps for their topographical terrain feature.
Wisdom has two parts; Having a lot to say and not saying it.

GM for Dawn of Defiance
Eliana Toiba Abijah in Isle Noir: Bad Karma.
Rose Marie Wentworth in The Artifact: Prologue

ubdu

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »
Thanks, but I'm mainly looking for interior maps, like a silo, barracks, etc.

Anyone know of anything besides Weekend Warriors?

Hinthas

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
There's the Critical Locations Books (two of them) that are RPG specific. That might be what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:26:12 PM by Hinthas »

ubdu

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
There's the Critical Locations Books (two of them) that are RPG specific. That might be what you're looking for.

Cool, thank you, but I can only locate one of them: http://www.amazon.com/d20-Critical-Locations-Campaigns-Modern/dp/0786939141

What is the other one called?