Author Topic: What are your favorite uses for a Jade Phoenix Mage?  (Read 9777 times)

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: What are your favorite uses for a Jade Phoenix Mage?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
Wyrm of War+JPM=Hax IL.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Also, not every class can blow itself up and live to tell about it.

The Jade Phoenix Mage is one of the few classes with which I actually use Transcend Mortality.

This. Plus fucking one.

Bonus points for the other good buffs from Wu Jen...

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »

The Jade Phoenix Mage is one of the few classes with which I actually use Transcend Mortality.

This. Plus fucking one.

So how does it work?  You just use a 9th level spell for 2 mins of Immortality, and then blow up before its over?  As a once per week thing I don't see it as too overpowered.  And how do you know that all enchantments on you don't continue after destruction?
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 12:48:05 AM »

This. Plus fucking one.

So how does it work?  You just use a 9th level spell for 2 mins of Immortality, and then blow up before its over?  As a once per week thing I don't see it as too overpowered.  And how do you know that all enchantments on you don't continue after destruction?

It's whenever you have a 9th level spell slot with persistent unfettered heroism :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:35 AM »
I had an NPC with levels in this.  Although he was far from optimized, I got there from Duskblade and Martial Study feats.

I retooled the PC to represent a hero of the elven people, and there is only one Jade Phoenix at any time.  When the old one dies, one of his followers takes the first levels and then assumes the stored memories of the previous Jade Phoenixes all the way back to the dawn of time. 
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
I had an NPC with levels in this.  Although he was far from optimized, I got there from Duskblade and Martial Study feats.

I retooled the PC to represent a hero of the elven people, and there is only one Jade Phoenix at any time.  When the old one dies, one of his followers takes the first levels and then assumes the stored memories of the previous Jade Phoenixes all the way back to the dawn of time. 

Hee. Always an awesome concept to play. Did you have a pupil in case you croaked?  :D
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »

Wardragon (from 339 and Dicefreaks) has a variant Duskblade that would work perfectly for that (it's called the Wyrmblade).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Count your buff durations.  When you have exactly 1 round left on transcend mortality, Phoenix.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »
Hmm, does that Death Throes spell add to the suicidesplosion?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
Count your buff durations.  When you have exactly 1 round left on transcend mortality, Phoenix.

Heh, Phoenix Down.

Just hope your DM doesn't wise on and hit you with something that keeps you from taking a standard action. (I assume Emerald Immolation is a standard action, since it's a spell-like ability that doesn't duplicate a spell? Why is it a spell-like ability, anyway? Literally every other ability the JPM has, apart from the one Ex ability, is Su.)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
What happens when someone kills your group's JPM?

Yell, "Phoenix Down."

Yeah, yeah, I'm here all week.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »

Heh, Phoenix Down.

Just hope your DM doesn't wise on and hit you with something that keeps you from taking a standard action. (I assume Emerald Immolation is a standard action, since it's a spell-like ability that doesn't duplicate a spell? Why is it a spell-like ability, anyway? Literally every other ability the JPM has, apart from the one Ex ability, is Su.)
Just keep a Celerity on hand and you're good.
If anything goes wrong you go boom.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."