Author Topic: Let's Go Super Ultra Freeform?  (Read 34815 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Let's Go Super Ultra Freeform?
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:04 PM »
I'd have used Explosion for the area, Full Power drawback, and Tiring flaw to squeeze in a few more Area progressions...you can never have a sufficiently large Dragon Slave.

EDIT:
Starlight Breaker
Blast + Stun + Emotion Control(Love)
I considered Explosion. Added Full Power. Tiring doesn't fit - at one point in the anime Lina spams Dragon Slaves, but one use of Ragna Blade has her breathing heavily.

Found my inspiration for a character:

Just trying to figure out how to model the deck system in the ruleset. I'm thinking a 1pt "floating" Alternate Power feat (4 Action Flaws to take 1 minute to swap pins is plenty to offset the versatility, methinks) for every power past 6. Any ideas on if there's a way to get the same within the established rules?
Should I know what you're talking about?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:31:29 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
Found my inspiration for a character:

Just trying to figure out how to model the deck system in the ruleset. I'm thinking a 1pt "floating" Alternate Power feat (4 Action Flaws to take 1 minute to swap pins is plenty to offset the versatility, methinks) for every power past 6. Any ideas on if there's a way to get the same within the established rules?
Should I know what you're talking about?

Considering I forgot to throw the hyperlink on the image...perhaps not.  :blush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twewy
http://twewy.wikia.com/wiki/Pin

In summary: A "Deck" consists of 6 "Psychs" (read: powers). I'm looking to have 6 powers out of a set of more (atm, I have about 12 psychs that would translate well to powers) to be active at a single time, with the active six being changeable to any combination of 6 from the larger set with a bit of time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:36:29 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
I believe there's rules for something like that in Ultimate Power - I'll check tomorrow.

EDIT:
In summary: A "Deck" consists of 6 "Psychs" (read: powers). I'm looking to have 6 powers out of a set of more (atm, I have about 12 psychs that would translate well to powers) to be active at a single time, with the active six being changeable to any combination of 6 from the larger set with a bit of time.
Designate two or more Alternate Powers as Variable and you can have them active at the same time by dividing power between them. Not quite what you're looking for, but...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:45:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2010, 11:22:37 PM »
Wont a 1 rank power that's random just be a little ineffective, though? I might be overestimating people's resistance, but it seems like defense can get pretty crazy...

Also, making a strange combo between my original charrie and the new guy.... gotta build 'em all, I suppose...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:38:22 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
I believe there's rules for something like that in Ultimate Power - I'll check tomorrow.

EDIT:
Designate two or more Alternate Powers as Variable and you can have them active at the same time by dividing power between them. Not quite what you're looking for, but...
Sounds like a job for Dynamic Alternate Power.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »
Alright, zanpakuto-ish question. If I apply the flaw Action to Device, it brings it from reaction to use to free action, and my easily lost device is at 2 ranks instead of 3. My question being, is that cheesy to anyone?

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 02:07:01 AM »
Its not as bad as how I could cheese it.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
Alright, zanpakuto-ish question. If I apply the flaw Action to Device, it brings it from reaction to use to free action, and my easily lost device is at 2 ranks instead of 3. My question being, is that cheesy to anyone?
Well, as long as you aren't walking around with it active all the time...it does mean that you can't activate it on someone else's turn, which can matter if you failed to go first.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:32 AM »
Just realized that I'd messed up, meant 2 pts per rank, which i guess you guys both got. :blush As is, I've taken Normal Appearance (which with Action means it has no powers, but I can activate it with a free action), which is nice since with Action it pays for a rank, freeing up three points for flash steps. Not like I needed it, but I figured it helped...

Cool cool, basically remaking my last charrie. Is everyone making new charries or sticking to their old ones? I'm making him somewhat bleach, kinda sephiroth (so kinda Advent Children), with some stereotyped traditional swordsman-badassery added in. Wasn't there a swordswoman character? In any case, I've got my reason to be at the dojo.

Also, Onijutsu sounds stupid. Anyone better at japanese than I am know of a way to say "Ogre Magic"?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:55:39 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2010, 03:10:42 AM »
I'm bringing Maiko back as a Dojo master.

Would you like to be my student?  :lol
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2010, 04:24:49 AM »
Well, I'm sticking with Mira, but adapted to take full advantage of not having to stick to a class stricture.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2010, 04:30:24 AM »
Bitch please, Uramote Rinzen, with his cursed sword Ushitora the no-dachi/zanbatou, and his oversized sword technique, is reserving the role of the free-loading care-free swordsman that assists the dojo while simultaneously claiming no connection to it.  :P Though yes, I'm writing that into his modified background. As soon as my rice and chili are on, I'll just put something rough up...

Edit: Story tomorrow, too much hw.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:03:38 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:35 AM »
Say, should we make a separate character thread just to keep thing straight?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2010, 05:04:17 AM »
Say, should we make a separate character thread just to keep thing straight?
Well.... this is serving as a decent jumping point, if we wanna just remake here, shove the old threads into a sub-sub-board, and start anew.

Also, a question; If I get, say, Magic rank 12 (24 pts), and apply Dynamic Alternate Power to it; it costs 3 more points, bringing the total to 27, and can act on different turns as other abilities? Is this essentially perfect materia, able to be a boost one turn, healing another, immunity a third, etc? If so, I've found my kido-esque sword magic!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:06:19 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2010, 05:27:06 AM »
Well, Dynamic Alternate Power applies for each additional 'spell' that Magic has, but essentially yes, and you can use plain old Alternate Power if you don't need to keep the others running when you switch powers(any powers that are not Instant or Lasting stop working when you switch, and if it's Dynamic Alternate, Concentration,Sustained, and Continous powers rank up and down as appropriate, even if already cast, so they're easier to get through).

Plain Alternate Power however, is much simpler to rotate arrays of powers(which can contain fairly elaborate combinations, linked and such) in and out, as it can be difficult to gauge which powers get what power feats/extras enabled.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
Well, Dynamic Alternate Power applies for each additional 'spell' that Magic has, but essentially yes, and you can use plain old Alternate Power if you don't need to keep the others running when you switch powers(any powers that are not Instant or Lasting stop working when you switch, and if it's Dynamic Alternate, Concentration,Sustained, and Continous powers rank up and down as appropriate, even if already cast, so they're easier to get through).

Plain Alternate Power however, is much simpler to rotate arrays of powers(which can contain fairly elaborate combinations, linked and such) in and out, as it can be difficult to gauge which powers get what power feats/extras enabled.
So in short, if I go with alternate powers, the old ones stop working once I switch, but with dynamic, they (if they've got time left in their effect) keep on going?

Also, I'm thinking that with alternate power, it'd be better to select something with more points per rank and max it out. Still, magic has the right flavor, and I don't need to have a max rank ability of anything at any time, AND be a melee beastie. Just need some spellcastyness.

I have 60 to spend; it's the swords granted powers, basically spell flexibility, mainly for buffing me to hell, but I'd like to if need be blast my way out. I mean, what good is a sword if it doesn't have some sort of beam attack, yeah?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:07:32 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
Heh, well, dynamics will keep working as long as they have ranks left(granted, a rank 1 power barely running might as well not be there), and you still got only so many actions per round.

It's nearly trivially easy to have a beam attack, with 60 points, you could probably afford an area extra, and probably link it to some debuff/duration effect even.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 07:18:28 AM »
Heh, well, dynamics will keep working as long as they have ranks left(granted, a rank 1 power barely running might as well not be there), and you still got only so many actions per round.
Exactly, I probably wont bother with dynamics, just magic rank 12 with Action to make them move actions instead of standard actions, making it 3 points/rank, total 36 points (means I have plenty of alternate powers flexibility), plus alternate power, should have blast, boost, gravity... anything that messes with how the world works (to a degree). Fill the other 24 points I have with some suitably ogre-y stuff.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »
Bitch please, Uramote Rinzen, with his cursed sword Ushitora the no-dachi/zanbatou, and his oversized sword technique, is reserving the role of the free-loading care-free swordsman that assists the dojo while simultaneously claiming no connection to it.  :P Though yes, I'm writing that into his modified background. As soon as my rice and chili are on, I'll just put something rough up...

Edit: Story tomorrow, too much hw.

Since my Oujo-sama (Agita's character) is a warrior-miko, I guess the Dojo that we run are multi-school type Dojos.

The three of us would make this Dojo a pretty popular one I guess...

Oh and I'd love to have a friendly spar with Maiko against Rinzen, what say you?

Oh by the way, your stats look a little awry. From what I understand so far, we are at Power Level 10, which means BAB total cap is 10 and the Saves total cap is 15 and the Power Ranks are capped at 10 but for the purposes of Boost or Extra-Effort, the boost-able limit is 12.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:23:54 AM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
Since my Oujo-sama (Agita's character) is a warrior-miko, I guess the Dojo that we run are multi-school type Dojos.

The three of us would make this Dojo a pretty popular one I guess...
Or.

Rival dojos.
My work