Author Topic: Let's Go Super Ultra Freeform?  (Read 34816 times)

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
Re: Let's Go Super Ultra Freeform?
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:01:01 PM by Nick »
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
So, let's try to think this through a little better this time around. :p Everyone come up with a piece of setting.

The Basics
Twenty Minutes In The Future, the UN is somehow running most of the world. Things are more or less modern-day to the average citizen, but magic hides in secret places, swords function as well as guns if you're good enough, etc. Something that doesn't require everyone to be from another universe for their concept to work.

Places
? (Probably some cities/towns with a requisite shrine or two, maybe a Gensokyo ripoff)

Organisations
? (Some kind of military, maybe some magic-related organisations)

EDIT: Stickies in the game forum have been de-stickied pending replacements, threads have been locked with the exception of that one TML started which for some reason I cannot what's the point of having mod powers for your game board anyway.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:52:43 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »
If you ignore Kisaragi Maiko's original background.

She can be the owner of a Dojo. Shinmeiryuu style (similar to Mokoto from Love Hina, which is a very real world setting). She is also a Tengu.

You can drop her Dojo anywhere in the setting. Her magic isn't exacty magic, but more of Ki manipulation, so a martial artist organization will suit her. She is still a high school student, so you can again drop her into any high school you want.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
Place: United Nations Secret Magic Bunker Facility. Located 1 mile below the main UN building, this small complex has no direct access or egress routes connecting it to the aboveworld. Instead, it as accessed via a rune placed on the inside of a broom closet being activated and transporting the user directly into the complex. Invulnerable to all attempts at unauthorized entry except those powered by Plot.

Organization: United Nations Secret Magic Bureau. Name is a slight misnomer; handles all supernatural occurrences (i.e. anything unexplainable by currently accepted beliefs on how the universe works), as well legislation, registration, taxation, etc of persons involved in such events. UN representatives are generally made aware of its presence, but only a small group (8-16) of countries have actual representation.

Organization: UNSM Enforcement Division. Pretty much what the name says. When the UNSMB needs a more aggressive approach taken with a given problem, the UNSMED is called in. Consists of supernatural persons of interest who have been recruited (or perhaps volunteered) to be a part of the organization. (Imagine something like the GI Joe program from the new movie.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:42:01 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
Place: United Nations Secret Magic Bunker Facility. Located 1 mile below the main UN building, this small complex has no direct access or egress routes connecting it to the aboveworld. Instead, it as accessed via a rune placed on the inside of a broom closet being activated and transporting the user directly into the complex. Invulnerable to all attempts at unauthorized entry except those powered by Plot.

Organization: United Nations Secret Magic Bureau. Name is a slight misnomer; handles all supernatural occurrences (i.e. anything unexplainable by currently accepted beliefs on how the universe works), as well legislation, registration, taxation, etc of persons involved in such events. UN representatives are generally made aware of its presence, but only a small group (8-16) of countries have actual representation.

Organization: UNSM Enforcement Division. Pretty much what the name says. When the UNSMB needs a more aggressive approach taken with a given problem, the UNSMED is called in. Consists of supernatural persons of interest who have been recruited (or perhaps volunteered) to be a part of the organization. (Imagine something like the GI Joe program from the new movie.)
You should add a count of young (i.e. after school part-time job) cleaning ladies who have stumbled into the Facility and become Magical Girls. :P

So I've got three main ideas for this. One is Lili. Another is a sword-wielding miko (yes, Shinto is supposed to be a pacifist religion. Talk to the katana. :P), probably set in the local Gensokyo ripoff. The last is a hikkomori swordswoman with a demon bonded into her. All of these are female because the vast majority of character art I have is bishoujo. Blame /c/ for that. :p

[spoiler]

I can't be the only one who can't wait for that Disappearance movie.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »
That organisation sounds good - if they end up recruiting you that will provide a driving/binding force that will make things easier to run.

You should add a count of young (i.e. after school part-time job) cleaning ladies who have stumbled into the Facility and become Magical Girls. :P
I'd prefer if NPC mahou shoujo be kept to a minimum - I have an idea for an NPC which won't work as well if they're common. Feel free to keep those Midchildian PCs though.

So I've got three main ideas for this. One is Lili. Another is a sword-wielding miko (yes, Shinto is supposed to be a pacifist religion. Talk to the katana. :P), probably set in the local Gensokyo ripoff. The last is a hikkomori swordswoman with a demon bonded into her. All of these are female because the vast majority of character art I have is bishoujo. Blame /c/ for that. :p
Be wary of stepping on the toes of Setsuna Nick's character with those first two.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:12:06 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
I have a feeling he's alluding to Disappearance.

Well it's just that I would prefer our campaign to happen only once and not 15,532 times....

I can provide rules sources if necessary.

Yes, please.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:57:45 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
That organisation sounds good - if they end up recruiting you that will provide a driving/binding force that will make things easier to run.

I'd prefer if NPC mahou shoujo be kept to a minimum - I have an idea for an NPC which won't work as well if they're common. Feel free to keep those Midchildian PCs though.
Well, theres always the occasional patrols by Midchildian battlecruisers, considering the number of Lost Logia that ended on Earth so far, they probably added it to the route, though they'd be a dimension away. Besides, if theres a magical UN, they'd probably have a liaison with the fleet, if only out of courtesy.

The nice thing about the whole 'parallel dimensions' thing is probably lots of places to do fighting in.
Be wary of stepping on the toes of Setsuna Nick's character with those first two.
Nick's is a bit more of a Tsukiyomi than Setsuna :P

EDIT: Pull a Mundus Magicus and put an Earth based magic society in a space parallel to the Moon?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:57:06 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Well, theres always the occasional patrols by Midchildian battlecruisers, considering the number of Lost Logia that ended on Earth so far, they probably added it to the route, though they'd be a dimension away. Besides, if theres a magical UN, they'd probably have a liaison with the fleet, if only out of courtesy.
I thought we'd been going with "this dimension is newly-discovered and hard for the TSAB to reach"? If only so you can't call down Arc-en-ciel or, God forbid, the White Devil herself.

When did Tsukiyomi become a tengu?

EDIT: Pull a Mundus Magicus and put an Earth based magic society in a space parallel to the Moon?
Well...

Some of this stuff means that there are entire societies of really powerful people running around, with unusual abilities. I think it would work better if the powerful guys mostly keep to themselves, and most of the UN's secret mages are amateurs (apart from an elite team or two).
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
I thought we'd been going with "this dimension is newly-discovered and hard for the TSAB to reach"? If only so you can't call down Arc-en-ciel or, God forbid, the White Devil herself.
Well, again, in this case, you got what I like to call the Elminister Principle in play.
Anyone who calls in the big guns gets to say hello to what the big guns normally deal with.
I mean, the White Devils is at the least PL15-20...
When did Tsukiyomi become a tengu?
Well, tengu is one part, lesbian pervert's another...
Well...

Some of this stuff means that there are entire societies of really powerful people running around, with unusual abilities. I think it would work better if the powerful guys mostly keep to themselves, and most of the UN's secret mages are amateurs (apart from an elite team or two).
Hmm, I was thinking more of PL 4-5 equivalent magical folks, mostly. Magical races, etc.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »
Let's not get carried away with Maiko being a Setsuna clone or a Tsukiyomi clone when she could be neither.

Sure the Dojo master who happens to also be a high school girl who is also a Tengu is pretty cliche, but it doesn't mean she cannot be more than what the cliche has.

For all you know she might be a human-assassin and turns tricks at the nearby red-light district and sells state secrets of Japan to the Taliban.

Did someone say Disappearance?
[spoiler]

Nagato Yuki Hell Yeah ![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:22:50 PM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:36 PM »

[spoiler]

Our characters will be good friends, if not friendly rivals.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 02:32:31 AM »
Am I reading blast abilities wrong, or are they not really a reliable spirit gun/kamehameha/hadoken/large-capacity destruction abilities? Trying to see if there's a way to pump up that DC to make them a bit more... threatening... devastating blast, unless I'm incorrect, seems incredibly inferior...

Just wondering, I'm guessing I'm gonna be plowing points into not-dying. Also, confirming, are we starting at 12, and OTHER PEOPLE are roughly 5-6, just to show that they're special, but we're better?

[spoiler]Place: United Nations Secret Magic Bunker Facility. Located 1 mile below the main UN building, this small complex has no direct access or egress routes connecting it to the aboveworld. Instead, it as accessed via a rune placed on the inside of a broom closet being activated and transporting the user directly into the complex. Invulnerable to all attempts at unauthorized entry except those powered by Plot.

Organization: UNSM Enforcement Division. Pretty much what the name says. When the UNSMB needs a more aggressive approach taken with a given problem, the UNSMED is called in. Consists of supernatural persons of interest who have been recruited (or perhaps volunteered) to be a part of the organization. (Imagine something like the GI Joe program from the new movie.)[/spoiler]
Could totally work with this, hella much. Any Evangelion inspiration there? On that note, anyone thinking  to build a mecha?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:21:24 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:22 AM »
I think we are starting at 10, but have 12 for the sake of boosting and extra effort.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 04:12:25 AM »
I think we are starting at 10, but have 12 for the sake of boosting and extra effort.
Cool, danke danke. Whatevs, my powerlevel is still... 1006...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »
Am I reading blast abilities wrong, or are they not really a reliable spirit gun/kamehameha/hadoken/large-capacity destruction abilities? Trying to see if there's a way to pump up that DC to make them a bit more... threatening... devastating blast, unless I'm incorrect, seems incredibly inferior...
Use the Area extra combined with the Progression power feat, and possibly that power from Mecha & Manga which lets you charge it up. Then there's power feats like the one which penetrates Toughness. Plus, aren't there rules for trading attack bonus for DC and vice versa?

Could totally work with this, hella much. Any Evangelion inspiration there? On that note, anyone thinking  to build a mecha?
Mecha make everything better. :P But things get kind of weird if it's only one guy who's 20m tall, unless it's Powered Armour or something... though IIRC that doesn't follow the mecha rules.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:56:02 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »

[spoiler]

Our characters will be good friends, if not friendly rivals.
Any of these characters would be either afraid of or pissed at Mariko. :D

I don't really see any toe-stepping between Lili and Mariko. Mariko uses a sword. Lili uses a lance and dragoons with lots of Gratuitous German. I can see it with the miko idea, though. The fighting style here would be more Iaijutsu gatling sword than straight strikes, though, and the personality will most certainly be different. :D The hikkomori concept was originally inspired by Ga-Rei, I think, way back when I started reading it.

EDIT: Mariko should call her dojo Tiger Dojo. :D

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:55:20 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »

I don't really see any toe-stepping between Lili and Mariko. Mariko uses a sword. Lili uses a lance and dragoons with lots of Gratuitous German. I can see it with the miko idea, though. The fighting style here would be more Iaijutsu gatling sword than straight strikes, though, and the personality will most certainly be different. :D The hikkomori concept was originally inspired by Ga-Rei, I think, way back when I started reading it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Seeing that Maiko is already using Yomi's char-image. I'm familiar with its storyline.

Tell you what Agita. If you're going to be in Tokyo's Ministry of Environment, I can join you :)

And I could easily drop the tengu and spend the points on a Summon for a Ga-Rei. Making a spirit beast is easy in M&M.

Anyway, the dojo is very likely named Kisaragi Dojo that teaches the Shinmeiryu style.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Seeing that Maiko is already using Yomi's char-image. I'm familiar with its storyline.

Tell you what Agita. If you're going to be in Tokyo's Ministry of Environment, I can join you :)

And I could easily drop the tengu and spend the points on a Summon for a Ga-Rei. Making a spirit beast is easy in M&M.

Anyway, the dojo is very likely named Kisaragi Dojo that teaches the Shinmeiryu style.
Well, I probably wouldn't be in it, per se... More like 'doesn't want anything to do with it, but can't really help it'.
I'll send you a pm, I think.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
*in midst of furious srs bzns discussion with Agita*

Have some more Yuki
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]