Author Topic: DR x/magic is useless ...  (Read 8023 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
DR x/magic is useless ...
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
... and I want to fix it.
Yes, I know, there are some situations where it can be a factor, but that gets old real quick.

Seriously, what is the point of a CR20 dragon having DR 20/magic?  Who the hell is going to try to fight a wyrm without a magical weapon?  It's a completely useless "special" ability (oh, it's "special", alright; but not in a good way)

So, what I'm looking for is some sort of viable option, akin to the 3.0 version (that I don't have to go through and change a bunch of crap -- i.e., that I can use on-the-fly).

I'm sure that this has been discussed ad nauseum somewhere -- y'all got anything?

a million thanks!

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
Re: DR x/magic is useless ...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Change it to /- or /Adamantine. This is your solution.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:12:44 PM »
Or just Chain Suppress Magic targeting everyone's weapons and Extradimensional items. Then they have to waste an action in combat to cast Magic Weapon or something similar. Quicken a Dispel too, just for the hell of it.

In all seriousness, I usually add something to that, like Lawful or Chaotic.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
well, now, that's a little too harsh.  thanks though.

Or just Chain Suppress Magic targeting everyone's weapons and Extradimensional items. Then they have to waste an action in combat to cast Magic Weapon or something similar. Quicken a Dispel too, just for the hell of it.

yeah, that's the kinda thing that I'm trying to avoid -- that gets old real quick with my players.

I like the 3.0 way of doing it, but I also know that the amount of DR drastically changed when they converted it all to "magic", and didn't want to go through the trouble of re-converting everything.  
Would it really be that much trouble to re-convert everything back to 3.0 DR?  Like some sort of template that I keep readily at hand?  If it was do-able, does anyone foresee any cascading effects (i.e. unintended consequences) from doing so?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
well, now, that's a little too harsh.  thanks though.

yeah, that's the kinda thing that I'm trying to avoid -- that gets old real quick with my players.

I like the 3.0 way of doing it, but I also know that the amount of DR drastically changed when they converted it all to "magic", and didn't want to go through the trouble of re-converting everything.  
Would it really be that much trouble to re-convert everything back to 3.0 DR?  Like some sort of template that I keep readily at hand?  If it was do-able, does anyone foresee any cascading effects (i.e. unintended consequences) from doing so?

It depends on if GMW allows the player to overcome the higher /+ values. And even then, some classes got piss-shit DR as a capstone, so those should be modified.

I don't foresee a problem beyond the extra book-work.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »
I basically halve the value and make it DR/-

YMMV

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
Of course...  this affects non-casters more than casters.  In fact, it really doesn't affect casters at all.  Is this something your game really needs?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
Of course...  this affects non-casters more than casters.  In fact, it really doesn't affect casters at all.  Is this something your game really needs?

Not really, losing DR will only make melee and ranged characters more viable which would probably be a good thing when they are compared to spellcasters.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:44:04 AM »
The DR/magic would be a simple 'entry level' thing towards fighting dragons, it just means that only PCs(who have magic weapons) are able to hurt one at all, no matter how many peasant mobs get rounded up.

Maybe if you reduced the DR to a tenth if you had magic weapons?(so DR 20/magic becomes DR 2/- vs magic weapons)
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »
Of course...  this affects non-casters more than casters.  In fact, it really doesn't affect casters at all.  Is this something your game really needs?

Not really, losing DR will only make melee and ranged characters more viable which would probably be a good thing when they are compared to spellcasters.
Maybe I misunderstood wotmaniac's OP.  I thought he was considering DR as-is to be useless, and wanted to beef it up.  Beefing it up hurts non-casters.  If that's not what he meant, then I guess my last post was misguided.

The DR/magic would be a simple 'entry level' thing towards fighting dragons, it just means that only PCs(who have magic weapons) are able to hurt one at all, no matter how many peasant mobs get rounded up.
I think CR should be a pretty good entry level requirement (assuming CR worked, and dragons weren't under CRed in the first place ;)).  Even without DR, I don't see hundreds of peasants being a meaningful threat to a dragon; at least not a smart dragon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:17:31 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »
Well, without it, theres always rounding up a few thousand mook archers, get a bard with war drums and go nuts.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Replace it with DR/epic, which requires +6 weapons to overcome.

This still allows you to penetrate it with a +4 bane weapon.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Well, one thing is that the threshold level is odd, /magic becomes virtually nonexistent by 5th level, if not earlier(depending on if you had someone to Magic Weapon things up, first level even), and  /epic would take 15th or so barring shenanigans to breach at all.

Seems like we need finer distinctions(3.0 style /+1?)
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:19:08 AM »
allow me to clarify (as it seems that I was unintentionally ambiguous):

In 3.0, there was a class of DR that was like: "x/+1", "x/+2", etc. ; an the "+" was the weapon enhancement bonus needed to bypass that DR.  In 3.5, that was all converted to "x/magic" ; and as such, all of the "x" values drastically changed (which is where my backward-conversion issue lies).

My thing is that you have this CR 20+ creature that has this massive damage reduction ... ... that can be easily bypassed by anybody by level 5 (and plausibly earlier).  My point is -- what's the point of that massive DR on such incredibly powerful creatures, if the DR is completely pointless and totally useless against any of those who have any real aspirations of conquering it?  It's like:
- PC 1: "uh-oh, he's totally invulnerable against weapon damage"
- PC 2: "yeah, but as long as your weapon is magical, then it goes through him like warm butter"
- PC 1: "so, that weapon that I found like 15 levels ago is just as good as the one I have now?"
- PC 2: "yup"
- PC 1: "not like that werewolf from 12 levels back? or that pixie?"
- PC 2: "nope.  uh-uh."
- PC 1: "lets go get some treasure!"

See my point?  Which is why the 3.0 "+x" made sense.  Where am I going wrong?  What am I missing?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
What am I missing?

Magic must defeat magic!
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
What am I missing?

Magic must defeat magic!
but not all magic is created equal. 
a lowly +1 versus a sweet-ass +5?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
but not all magic is created equal. 
a lowly +1 versus a sweet-ass +5?

*thwack!*

Never question Uncle.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Well, without it, theres always rounding up a few thousand mook archers, get a bard with war drums and go nuts.
Any dragon willing to fly over a few thousand armed people deserves to get shot down.

See my point?  Which is why the 3.0 "+x" made sense.  Where am I going wrong?  What am I missing?
That makes sense.  I'm assuming they changed DR to "magic" just for simplicity, because they were also adding in material-dependant DR as well.  They probably didn't want you to have to worry about if your adamantine weapon was +1 or +2, as well as your silver weapon and your cold iron weapon.  So, converting back to the 3.0 method isn't that bad, other than that it forces the fighter to keep his weapon plusses up even more than in 3.5.  Of course, there's always Greater Magic Weapon.

I think 3.0 made the distinction possibly because of 2E.  Back in 2E, certain monsters required various strengths of magic weapons, as in 3.0, but if you didn't have that weapon, you couldn't hit them at all!  So, the 3.0 DR was really just a more forgiving version of the 2E concept.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »

Any dragon willing to fly over a few thousand armed people deserves to get shot down.

Wait ... its coming to me ... Dragons don't like being shot in the belly, ala Smaug in the LotR cartoon.
Cats don't like being tickled in the belly.

You mean to tell me Smaug is a polymorphed House Cat ?? !!

(anyways)

All the various DR's seem to be an early level mini-game.
Once the Frontliners start to fall behind, they might as well have a Golf Bag.
Fighter: Shadows get the "nine" iron, right?
"Caddy": Nah, use the "sand wedge" for more follow through.
Fighter: Right ... DOH !! The Wizard just won again  :fu ; Can I have some treasure please ?!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 09:29:44 PM »
How about change all DR to DR/-, and make a little alteration to magic weapons.  For example a +1 weapon ignores 1 point of DR (or maybe 2).  A +2 weapon ignores 2 (or more) points of DR.