Author Topic: A Bit of an obsession: Speeding Bullets and Locomotives  (Read 1829 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
A Bit of an obsession: Speeding Bullets and Locomotives
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »
It should be easy to spot where I'm going with this. Statblock in spoiler.

Used array of 14, 14, 12, 12, 10, 8. Advanced is a Pathfinder +1 CR template which adds 4 to all stats and +2 natural armor. PF humans gain +2 on single stat, too.
* marks stats after buff section.
House Rules: +6 HP on first level, feats on all odd levels. 20th level PC wealth, or 880,000gp. About 300,000 remains. Not using Pathfinder feats.

Books: Mainly WotC 3.5, although I'll take a look at Hyperconscious, I've heard good things about it.

[spoiler]
Man of Iron(CR 21)
Advanced Human Monk 2/Ardent 18 (not in that order, though.)
LG M human
Init +5; Senses presumably +30
AC 32(39*), touch 32(39*), flat-footed 20 (10 +2 nat +7wis +5 dex, +8 Enhancement +7 insight* )
HP 181(321*) (2d8 + 18d6 + 100 + [140*]) (dr 15/adamantite*)
Immune (blindness, critical hits, ability score damage, deafness, disease, drowning, electricity, poison, stunning)*
Saves Fort 14(23*), Ref 14(23*), Will 21(28*); Evasion

Speed 30ft, fly, 60 (power, 9pts/40min), +10ft while psi. focused.
Melee Fist +21/+16/+11, 1d6+9
   buffed: Fist +31/+26/+21, 1d6+12
Ranged Preferred ranged attack (ex +1 longbow +8 (2d6+2/x3) with Manyshot)
Base Atk +14; Grp +25(+28* +38**)
Atk Options Flurry of Blows -2/-2, Power Attack,
Special Actions Anticipatory Strike ->Quickened Greater Teleport to interrupt any activity.
Combat Gear: Bracers of Armor +8
Psionic Powers: 343 = 280 + 63WIS pp
   Guardian Mantle-- Mind Over Energy, Iron Body
        Conflict Mantle-- Metaphysical Weapon, Offensive Prescience
   Physical Power Mantle-- Adrenaline Boost, Animal Affinity, Vigor, True Metabolism, Psychofeedback
   Freedom Mantle-- Hustle, Fly, Psionic Greater Teleport
   Law Mantle-- Grip of Iron, Timeless Body
   Fate Mantle-- Defensive Precognition, Offensive Precognition, Clairvoyant Sense
   Time Mantle-- Temporal Acceleration, Anticipatory Strike
Abilities Str 29(35), Dex 21(25), Con 21(25), Int 14, Wis 24, Cha 14
SQ
Feats
1 Overchannel
H Tap Mantle
M1 Combat Reflexes M2 Improved Grapple
3 Practiced Manifester
5 Psionic Meditation
7 Extend Power
9 Mind over Body
11 Quicken Power
13 Power Attack
15 Linked Power Iron Body->Vigor
17 Linked Power Defensive Precog->Offensive Precog
19 _

Skills -
Possessions Combat gear plus spent Tome of WIS +5, Manual of STR +5, Manual of DEX +5 , Manual of CON +5,

Hook Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive
Tactics:
Temporal Acceleration 19pts.
Round 1: Manifest Iron Body->Vigor 15pts +20pts
Round 2: Hustle 3pts->recover psionic focus Manifest Defensive->Off. Precognition 38,Vigor = 100HP
Round 3: Hustle->recover psi. focus, Manifest Animal Affinity DEX, CON 8pts, Off.Precog 19pts.
Total PP cost:   117.
Out of loop, Quickened Fly
[/spoiler]

Feats are iffy. Mind over Body is there so we can up STR by 20 points by draining int and cha. By using Animal Affinity, this leaves us with 8 int and cha, and adds a nice +10 STR bonus. Overchannel is mainly for ardent trickery.

Melee damage sucks big time. Decent at grappling, though
Defenses are okay, I think.

Expanded Knowledge: Schism would be a good idea, and maybe just take the PP hit from using Temporal Acceleration twice instead of using linked power? Schism level is 14, so Mind over Energy, and of course regaining psionic focus. If the Schism'd mind can Overchannel, this allows activating most of remaining powers as needed.

For NPC purposes, this could be used as a Dragon for the Big Bad, as he can take hits for him, and dampen AoEs.

I'd prefer avoiding too crazy shenanigans. Even if Temporal Reiteration + Timeless Body is interesting, and linked synchronicity is... well, yeah.
also, no overt visible signs - even Iron Body feels just a bit iffy to me, thematically. All in all, though, I think it's a good representation of the character, and just a few more levels would give access to the missing powers.

But, yeah... Suggestions on feats, and on increasing melee functionality? Outside the low melee damage, this seems to match a CR 21 critter as per the guidelines, at least while buffed... meaning, it's not exactly strong, CO-wise.

*Edit* Swapping Guardian for Conflict mantle is un-thematic, but would work if I'd use Temporal Reiteration. Tap Mantle as human bonus feat, pick Offensive Prescience for +8 damage, Metaphysical Weapon for +5 atk/damage, drop Immovability and Thicken Skin.  Still need to work it to buff sequence. +13 damage to each hit helps, but is outside buff sequence. Meh, can quicken activate them, I guess. +38 pp cost, I think.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
Re: A Bit of an obsession: Speeding Bullets and Locomotives
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:35:01 AM »
I have just finished watching "Wanted" and I thought it would have been too coincidental for this thread to be on the same topic. The title is damn close though.

Addendum: 26-01-10, 22:36, -8 GMT, Wait, what's this about?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:36:38 AM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »
I guess I was obfuscating just a bit. It doesn't really matter that much - it's the crunch that has issues, not the theme.

Wanted was a silly, silly movie. Entertaining in it's way, though. I heard good things about the game.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
You are crazy not to be using the Tashalatora feat. That is all.
It lets your levels in one psionic class stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows progression and unarmed damage.

If you really want to take hits, get a psicrystal and manifest share pain on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:29:28 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't seen Tashalatora outside eberron. I could house rule it in, easily enough. Or I could drop in Superior UAS, which is in fact more readily accessible.
Psicrystal + Share Pain is two feats. I could afford those, as all the linked business isn't really that much needed, but will effectively require using two - or even three - temporal accelerations.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't seen Tashalatora outside eberron. I could house rule it in, easily enough.
Allowing a feat from an Eberron book isn't houseruling. ??? Monks and psionic classes both rely on mind over matter, so it doesn't seem odd that someone could learn to combine them in any setting - it's not even restricted by race or region.

"Wanted"? I assumed that the title was a reference to Superman.
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:39:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
Allowing a feat from an Eberron book isn't houseruling. ???
Yes it is if you're not playing in Eberron.
Monks and psionic classes both rely on mind over matter, so it doesn't seem odd that someone could learn to combine them in any setting - it's not even restricted by race or region.
I know, it sounds fine...
"Wanted"? I assumed that the title was a reference to Superman.
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive!
You're quite correct.
NiteCyper referred Wanted.
Not like I always read every single post in every single topic I post in, either.