Author Topic: Crusader/Incarnate  (Read 5299 times)

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Crusader/Incarnate
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
I've seen this suggestion by Surreal in a thread the other day and as I've been interested in Crusaders for a while, I found this a very good idea.

So the plan is to go crusader with a dip in incarnate to get the therapeutic mantle soulmeld to get more selfhealing. And if we go human, the feats look something like this:

Human: Combat Expertise
1: Improved Trip
3. Extra Granted Maneuver
6. Combat Reflexes
9. Evasive Reflexes
12. Robilar's Gambit
15. Open
18. Open

The build has to be a good solo tank at all lvls. So how can I improve this? Is Stone Power gonna give me alot more healing? Maybe thinking of throwing Mage Slayer in there ...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Crusader/Incarnate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Thereputic Mantle, unfortunately, only works on Supernatural, spell-like, and spells that heal.  All of a Crusader's manuvers are, for some reason, extraordinary.  You'll have to have your DM houserule it for that to work.

Stone Power makes you a bit more durable, which is never a bad thing.  It doesn't heal you, though.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
The wording on Therapeutic Mantle says "whenever you are the target of a spell or effect that heals hit point damage". As long as your DM agrees that martial spirit healing is an "effect", it should work.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
The wording on Therapeutic Mantle says "whenever you are the target of a spell or effect that heals hit point damage". As long as your DM agrees that martial spirit healing is an "effect", it should work.
Yup. You're right.  I'm wrong.

However, it also says the extra hp gained are from the spell level.  Why didn't they add in some extra rules for other possible healing effects?  As it is, it doesn't help at all if you don't invest essentia in it (assuming your healing isn't coming from spells).  I can see it working wonders when combined with Martial Spirit, though (2+2*Essentia points healed whenever you hit).  Would be nice if the DM rules manuver level to count as spell level for this for that extra bit of healing.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

jolt

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
Ok let's assume it does work, how can we make the build better?

Crusader's Strike, Martial Spirit, Revitalizing Strike, Aura of Triumph, Rallying Strike all seem good maneuvers to grab.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
For low levels, Astral Vambraces are your best friend.  Crusaders like getting hit, but they don't like taking any more damage than they have to, so the DR granted by the Vambraces will help.  When that starts getting penetrated, swap to Adamant Pauldrons.  It's half the DR value, but it's much harder to overcome and also comes with Light Fortification.

Vitality Belt, of course, makes you far more durable than you have a right of being.  I'd actually start fights with this soulmeld empty and transfer essentia as you need it.

Why is Evasive Reflexes in there?  You're supposed to be making the AoO's, not moving with them.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

BoB - Lord of Evil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
If you are not totally hooked on crusader all the way after an incarnate dip then sneaking in some hellreaver for divine succor, incandecent champion for fast healing and a couple more essetia is nice. Try fitting in the combat focus/combat vigor feats and get yourself a vampiric, wrathful healing weapon for kicks. Should be more self healing per round than your dm can handle
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jolt

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:15:59 AM »
You're right on the Evasive reflexes, it's doing no good. And nice find on the astral vambraces, didn't know those.

As for Hellreaver dip, that would give me even more MAD to get some charisma for divine succor. And I find the Incandecent Champion too restriced. It's fast healing for so few uses a day, I think Combat Vigor would be better. So far we got this:

Human: Combat Expertise
1: Improved Trip
3. Extra Granted Maneuver
6. Combat Reflexes
9. Combat Focus
12. Robilar's Gambit
15. Combat Vigor
18. Combat Vigor

BoB - Lord of Evil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
True there is a little MAD but as you get holy fury points every encounter even with a CHA of 10 you get 2 points (at 10 + 2*essentia healed per shot).

So try Wolf Totem Barbarian2/Incarnate2/Crusader2/Hellreaver2/Crusader+12 that nets you imp trip for free at 2nd level allowing you to change combat expertise for power attack to get into hellreaver.

Also for 10,000gp the magic eating armour enhancement from MiC gets you more healing.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
Maybe grab a vicious weapon. You'll be packing so much self-healing that you might just want to inflict damage to yourself to keep your damage pool going.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »
True there is a little MAD but as you get holy fury points every encounter even with a CHA of 10 you get 2 points (at 10 + 2*essentia healed per shot).

So try Wolf Totem Barbarian2/Incarnate2/Crusader2/Hellreaver2/Crusader+12 that nets you imp trip for free at 2nd level allowing you to change combat expertise for power attack to get into hellreaver.

Also for 10,000gp the magic eating armour enhancement from MiC gets you more healing.

The Magic Eater Armor only works if his SR absorbs it successfully, but his SR is next to nothing (Incarnate 16 is required to get a decent source of SR).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Aldgar

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »
Depends on what "Decent" SR is.

A 3rd level incarnate with the feat expanded soulmeld capacity can invest 3 essentia in spellward shirt, gaining SR 19 at ECL 3.
Which improves to SR 24 at ECL 6...

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
Depends on what "Decent" SR is.

A 3rd level incarnate with the feat expanded soulmeld capacity can invest 3 essentia in spellward shirt, gaining SR 19 at ECL 3.
Which improves to SR 24 at ECL 6...

Which caps at SR 29 at ECL 20th. 34 if you buy an item and have the extra Essentia, but you can't use that item and the Vest in DMG2 at the same time. SR 34 is OK, but any true caster can get through that fairly easily with CL boosters. Plus, it's taking a soulmeld slot out of his 3 (not exactly enough to have fun with). Vitality Belt is more important for him.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
Especially since it is highly dependent on the number of spellcasting enemies the DM throws at him.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
Especially since it is highly dependent on the number of spellcasting enemies the DM throws at him.

Or he could take Leadership, grabbing a Warlock Cohort and have him spam EB at minimum CL with the highest Eldritch Essence invocation he can use attached to the EB, thus healing him X HP/round. But then you would be wasting Leadership's potential power.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Black Knight

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
Have you considered the Vital Recovery feat?  I use it all the time with my crusader.
If you are an ethical person, you do the right thing even when no one is watching...

jolt

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
Forgot about Vital Recovery. That would be awesome to use with Therapeutic Mantle. (if it works)

Rooster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:27 AM »
My $0.02: Get Sweeping Strikes as soon as you can qualify for it. With a Crusader's lockdown with Thicket of Blades, you basically get AOOs for free. :)

Occult Opportunist (one of the dragon magazines) and Mage Slayer are good for locking down casters, who will otherwise bane you by autosucceeding at defensive casting in front of you.

BoB - Lord of Evil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »

The Magic Eater Armor only works if his SR absorbs it successfully, but his SR is next to nothing (Incarnate 16 is required to get a decent source of SR).

The MiC magic eating armour says anytime you succed on a saving throw from a spell that targets you not SR.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

The MiC magic eating armour says anytime you succed on a saving throw from a spell that targets you not SR.

Ah, I thought it was replicating the Spellwarped template.

[spoiler][/spoiler]